Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Sonata GLS has definite air conditioner problems. It takes some time for it to get cold. I had no problems with my 2011 Elantra - I never had to turn the air conditioner to its highest level. In addition, it cooled almost immediately. However, I have to turn on the Sonata's air conditioner to full capacity and wait several minutes before I get some cool air. When it's 95 degrees out here in Florida, a few minutes can seem like a long time.

Haven't had my car checked yet. Anyone else have a similar problem with the air conditioning in the Sonata?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Yes, this is the typical symptom of a bad compressor. There is an electrical valve inside the compressor that turns it on and off instead of an external clutch, and these valves tend to fail in the manner you are describing where there can be a long delay the first time you turn the AC on before the compressor activates. I had this problem on my '11 and got the compressor replaced, a number of other people have posted about having had the same issue.
Take it in to your local dealer and have them check it. They may need to keep the car overnight to duplicate the problem if it only happens when you first use the AC and then is ok after that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I was going to wait until my scheduled car maintenance, but I think I'll go sooner. I've also noticed that my car tends to swerve to the left, especially during rough weather. I better make a list.

It looks like this car, like my old plasma tv, has a break-in period. My 2008 Panasonic tv is running perfectly now; I hope my 2014 Sonata does the same.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Turning the fan speed to 'high' isn't going to make the compressor work any better, you're just blowing more hot air around.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Mine is going through the same issue. If I'm not moving the car blows hot air. Going down the road the cool air comes out.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Mine is going through the same issue. If I'm not moving the car blows hot air. Going down the road the cool air comes out.
Actually sounds like a different issue. I'd check the fan on the radiator and make sure it's running with the AC on and the car stopped. If it's not, you won't get enough air exchange at the condenser to have cold air inside the car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Actually sounds like a different issue. I'd check the fan on the radiator and make sure it's running with the AC on and the car stopped. If it's not, you won't get enough air exchange at the condenser to have cold air inside the car.
I agree this is a different issue that the OP. I am also experiencing the AC blowing warmer air when stopped than when moving on a 2011 2.0T. I think the active ECO mode can effect the AC so I may try a few days with it turned off to see if it changes anything.

·
22,787 Posts
Not that my opinion with my Elantra fits into the Sonata sub-forum, but at those parameters SVTfocus03 listed, mine is 38-40F our of the right side driver's vent. Non-calibrated A/C style dial gauge, with the probe secured into the duct. Cold enough for this old geezer. :frozen:

·
22,787 Posts
Oh, no. Duct tape in the duct not needed! :laughing:

FWIW: It has a pocket clip that fits nicely onto one of the vent louvers. This keeps it perfectly secure. Down side? The temperature probe's long stem into the duct (4"?) limits the range of vertical movement of the louvers in that one vent, but not any range on the horizontal adjustments.

·
Retired Staff
11,817 Posts
All of these complaints sound normal to me. When its hot out the best way to cool down a vehicle is to drop all 4 windows and start driving with the ac on mid fan speed. In several minutes the excess heat should be out of your vehicle and it will be blowing cold. Remember thay the temp inside your car can get up to double the outside air temp on a hot sunny day. A good sunshade can drop the temp in your vehicle 40-50 degrees making it 150 rather than 200.

It is also perfectly normal to have colder air when moving than sitting still. More air in means better airflow and more efficient cooling.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
My 2014 Sonata GLS has definite air conditioner problems. It takes some time for it to get cold. I had no problems with my 2011 Elantra - I never had to turn the air conditioner to its highest level. In addition, it cooled almost immediately. However, I have to turn on the Sonata's air conditioner to full capacity and wait several minutes before I get some cool air. When it's 95 degrees out here in Florida, a few minutes can seem like a long time.

Haven't had my car checked yet. Anyone else have a similar problem with the air conditioning in the Sonata?

went into the shop last week for a steering wheel pop noise...also told them "I know its summer and this is florida, but the ac takes forever to cool the car down"...found out the actual compressor was failing. they took it out, slapped in a new one, free.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
12/12 for a recharge, after that they will bill you for the service.
Defective components should be covered under the 5/60.
I don't understand that. If it needs a recharge that means it's leaking, which means something is defective.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I don't understand that. If it needs a recharge that means it's leaking, which means something is defective.
I agree, but that's how it's done. You may need to convince them it needs more than a recharge since they will want to perform a billable service rather than warranty. This is what happened when I took mine in with what I knew was a bad compressor, they initially insisted on doing a recharge service but when the system failed to run when I picked up the car they had no choice but to replace the compressor.
And, when they found the system low on charge but couldn't detect any leaks they had to agree it was a low charge from the factory (car was a year old at the time), but they still wanted me to pay for the recharge.

·
Registered
196 Posts
my 2011 se with 10,000 miles is doing same thing on the ac took it to the dealer and tech told me its is a bad battery... i start laughing wtf? are u serious? the car cranks like a champ... no weak battery whatsoever...starts every time even whe not used for days..

·
22,787 Posts
I am red with jealousy! Unless you made a typo...which in that case I would just be envious
No kidding. I did that in under 3 months. And that's nothing compared to what some of the guys roll up in that amount of time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts