Hyundai Forums banner

Air Conditioner Problems

214K views 70 replies 54 participants last post by  Shine K 
#1 ·
Is anyone else having problems with their air conditioners? Ever since the first time we used it it gives off an odd smell. And now that it's getting warm outside it doesn't seem to be cooling well. Tuesday will be the third time I have taken it in for air conditioning problems. Once for the smell and twice for lack of cooling. They of course have never found a problem. The cooling problem is generally at an idle or while accelerating. It seems to work ok while cruising. Considering it's only in the eighties though, the car should be freezing us out. The smell is most noticeable when it is first turned on.

#2 ·
nothing's broken.......Hyundai is notorius for having "slow cooling"..although once it's up and running....it works well. it's obviously intentional...and most likely saves either gas..or premature wear and tear on certain parts.

here's what I do..and it works.... click the option button for recurculating cabin air. that may sound silly...but it cools faster...colder..by a wide margin...and I live in Florida.

#65 ·
QUOTE (HarborGrey @ May 21 2011, 10:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449052

huh? Ive owned 3 hyundais and none of them are "slow cooling".. i turned the ac on in my wifes 2008 santa fe today and it was pretty instant
My 2012 Elantra had instant cooling but that was about all that worked in that car. My replacement 2011 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0 Turbo will blow hot air with no signs of cooling until I put it in park and start driving. Once I've been driving for awhile it does get ice cold to the point that I turn the air way down. I'm on my way from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Naples, Florida this Thursday morning. I had an 05 Ford Five Hundred back in the day and the air compressor just froze or stopped, I have no idea!?!? I added refrigerant and that didn't help at all. Now I'm scared to take my newly purchased used Hyundai all the way for a 22 hour straight drive.

#7 ·
QUOTE (austex04 @ May 21 2011, 09:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449063
I had the a/c compressor replaced on mine, as it was alternating between warm and cool, due to the compressor locking up. When the compressor would lock up, it would really bogg the engine down, until the ecm would disengage the compressor clutch to keep the engine from stalling. Mine works fine now, but it's not as great as the one that was in my Ford that I owned prior to this car. Afterwards, I test drove another Accent to see how that a/c worked, the compressor on that car was also locking up and blowing warm air, and cooling when it wanted to. This led me to think Hyundai had a bad batch of compressors on the '10 Accent, since the Accent I test drove had the same build date as mine. When the weather gets really hot and humid (I live in Texas), I have to use recirculate to get the most cooling, unless I'm on the hwy.
This sounds similar to my problem. Although I haven't noticed any bogging down issues. And I pretty much leave the a/c on recirculation since it cools better that way.

#8 ·
QUOTE (Rshguam @ May 21 2011, 10:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449076
This sounds similar to my problem. Although I haven't noticed any bogging down issues. And I pretty much leave the a/c on recirculation since it cools better that way.
It was oodles of fun at the dealer service dept to convince them it was not working right. The first time, they said "functions as designed". I drove the car around the lot, and it was doing it, so I went right back (did not even leave the dealer's property), and had them drive it around the lot. They replaced the compressor, after they discovered the issue while actually testing it. I think they're so used to Hyundai owners complaining about a/cs that they overlooked mine, whatever, problem solved. Looks like I'm driving 30 miles out of my way if anything else should go wrong with this car, to avoid that dealer. I think many issues people face on here re: multiple service trips has to do with the dealerships, and not Hyundai.

#9 ·
QUOTE (yagru @ May 21 2011, 11:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449066
huh? Ive owned 3 hyundais and none of them are "slow cooling".. i turned the ac on in my wifes 2008 santa fe today and it was pretty instant

if you're on your third....(as am I) and you read/post on Hyundai boards...which you do....this should not be a secret to you whatsoever. consider yourself lucky.

#10 ·
My wife took the car in today, and they didn't even bother looking under the hood. They told her the smell wasn't a chemical smell(which I disagree), it was mold on the cabin filter that wasnt covered by warranty even though it smelled like that when we bought it and they said nothing was wrong. And then they told her they don't know what is wrong and to drive it until it breaks. I think I need to take a trip down there. I think I have an anger issue...

#11 ·
QUOTE (Rshguam @ May 23 2011, 05:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449881
My wife took the car in today, and they didn't even bother looking under the hood. They told her the smell wasn't a chemical smell(which I disagree), it was mold on the cabin filter that wasnt covered by warranty even though it smelled like that when we bought it and they said nothing was wrong. And then they told her they don't know what is wrong and to drive it until it breaks. I think I need to take a trip down there. I think I have an anger issue...
Is there another Hyundai dealer around there? Try test driving another '11 Sonata like yours, and see how the a/c performs in that car, so you know if there's a problem with yours. You could buy a thermometer to see what the air temp comming out the vents is, in both cars. The used Accent I drove had the same problem with the compressor that mine did. I took me two trips to the dealer for them to fix it, but the second time I had them lot drive the car, since it acted up while modulating rpms, something they did not check while it was hooked up to the gages (if they even did that much first time in). If there's a bad smell, you could have mold or dirt buildup on the evaporator, rare to find this on a car this new, but maybe becouse it's not getting cold enough to condensate enough? My new Hyundai did not come with the "moldy cabin filter" option.

#12 ·
I haven't had any problems with cooling. I do notice it gets colder faster without ECO on and with recirculated air, but thats true of any car. I did notice a one time issue while running the AC while going through the car wash. After I came out its like the internal air duct switching blocked. So instead of being "defrost" or going to upper/lower, it was just blowing behind the dash. I kept switching it but I couldn't get air out of any vents (even with the fan at 100%). It finally fixed itself once I got on the freeway. No idea why that happened and it hasn't happened before or since.

#13 ·
QUOTE (austex04 @ May 23 2011, 09:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449998
Is there another Hyundai dealer around there? Try test driving another '11 Sonata like yours, and see how the a/c performs in that car, so you know if there's a problem with yours. You could buy a thermometer to see what the air temp comming out the vents is, in both cars. The used Accent I drove had the same problem with the compressor that mine did. I took me two trips to the dealer for them to fix it, but the second time I had them lot drive the car, since it acted up while modulating rpms, something they did not check while it was hooked up to the gages (if they even did that much first time in). If there's a bad smell, you could have mold or dirt buildup on the evaporator, rare to find this on a car this new, but maybe becouse it's not getting cold enough to condensate enough? My new Hyundai did not come with the "moldy cabin filter" option.
The nearest other hyundai dealer is over 110 miles away. I know there is a problem, because it slows down and speeds up on it's own. And it alternates between blowing cold and warm. If the dealer continues to ignore me I will call the dealers corporate office and complain.

#14 ·
I'm still riding around w/sunroof and windows open, but I've only turned on the A/C at the house once and that was because my younger brother was in town.

I always recirculate w/A/C. Otherwise it's quite a load on a sedan w/all the glass. However, I might have to give mine a test run before the temps reach triple digits...

#15 ·
I've noticed a smell occasionally coming from my 2011 Turbo Sonata SE's AC.

It almost smells like evaporating alcohol. I don't know that the refrigerant in our ACs smells like, but it is the only thing that I can think of that would smell like that.

I'm going to take it in this week to have it looked at, but is there any way to check the AC system on my own? I'll check the filter to make sure it's not the source of any smells, but since it's an occasional issue, I don't think the filter would be bad.

#16 ·
QUOTE (Rshguam @ May 21 2011, 06:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=449007
Is anyone else having problems with their air conditioners? Ever since the first time we used it it gives off an odd smell. And now that it's getting warm outside it doesn't seem to be cooling well. Tuesday will be the third time I have taken it in for air conditioning problems. Once for the smell and twice for lack of cooling. They of course have never found a problem. The cooling problem is generally at an idle or while accelerating. It seems to work ok while cruising. Considering it's only in the eighties though, the car should be freezing us out. The smell is most noticeable when it is first turned on.

I've noticed the lack-luster cooling while idling as well, but it ONLY happens while set to use outside air. Recirculate is cold no matter what. I suspect it's simply because the massive amount of heat these little engines shed into the atmosphere while attempting to staying cool. Sitting still on outside air means your AC is doing it's best to cool down air several degrees warmer than ambient.

No big deal, I just flip it over to recirculate if I'm at a stop and it's a scorcher outside.

#18 ·
My AC is great in both of my sonatas one turbo one 2.4 both 2011. Mine is the se with grey cloth and dark blue outside my wifes silver outside black inside and have taken both cars on day with 100+ temps and generally the cabin cools down with in 5 minutes to decent temps and I have to adjust up after 10 minutes. I would get yours checked again and ask for a rep to check it

#20 ·
I don't have any noticable smell at all but I definitely have some slow cooling issues going on. When I start the car up and turn the air on, recurculate swith on too by the way, it seems to blow straight burning hot air for a while befor it starts to cool of at all. I pretty much have to start the car and stand out in the heat for 5 minutes before I even get into the car or else it's like having the heat on in the summer and I start sweatin like crazy!! After about 20 minutes or so it will be nice in the car but thats way too long for it to be taking. I have a chevy work van that gets freezing cold in a minute flat! I've never had a car that blew hot air like that while the A/C is on...Starting to get on my nerves now! :mad:

#21 ·
QUOTE (BigSlick @ Aug 2 2011, 04:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484738
I don't have any noticable smell at all but I definitely have some slow cooling issues going on. When I start the car up and turn the air on, recurculate swith on too by the way, it seems to blow straight burning hot air for a while befor it starts to cool of at all. I pretty much have to start the car and stand out in the heat for 5 minutes before I even get into the car or else it's like having the heat on in the summer and I start sweatin like crazy!! After about 20 minutes or so it will be nice in the car but thats way too long for it to be taking. I have a chevy work van that gets freezing cold in a minute flat! I've never had a car that blew hot air like that while the A/C is on...Starting to get on my nerves now! :mad:

Ditto, exactly the same for my 2010 Tucson GLS! :angry:

#22 ·
QUOTE (BigSlick @ Aug 2 2011, 04:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484738
I'm hearing this same complaint from lots of people in all brands of cars these days. In very many cases, there is nothing wrong with their A/C systems. Look at the facts: Temps have been near 100ºF all over the country lately. You have a black car with a black interior and lots of glass area for the sun to beat down on. Park it out in the sun for any length of time and the interior temp can rise to 140º+. This means every part of the interior of the car is that hot, including the A/C components and ducting. Do you really expect it to be ice cold in a minute flat? It ain't gonna happen! I'm guessing your work van is white, as most are, and you are probably in and out of it several times a day keeping the heat from building up so much. Apples and oranges comparing the two. Dark colors and lots of glass are tough on A/C systems. These record setting heat waves are even worse.

Here are some tips on cooling any car faster. First thing is to get the heat out of the car as fast as possible. I'm getting in hot cars all day long at work and they all feel like you're getting into an oven when you open the door. I open at least two windows, if not all four, and turn the A/C on high blower speed. DO NOT use recirculate at this time as it just keeps recirculating the same 140º+ air that is already in the car. Let the A/C bring in outside air to force the hot air out the windows. In a very short time you have dropped the temp inside the car by 40~50º just by exchanging the air. Now the A/C can begin to do the job it was actually designed for. Start closing the windows as the A/C begins blowing colder air, then you can switch to the recirculate mode to help speed the process. It should start getting comfortable in the car very soon.

#23 ·
QUOTE (11yfLtd @ Aug 3 2011, 01:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484929
I'm hearing this same complaint from lots of people in all brands of cars these days. In very many cases, there is nothing wrong with their A/C systems. Look at the facts: Temps have been near 100ºF all over the country lately. You have a black car with a black interior and lots of glass area for the sun to beat down on. Park it out in the sun for any length of time and the interior temp can rise to 140º+. This means every part of the interior of the car is that hot, including the A/C components and ducting. Do you really expect it to be ice cold in a minute flat? It ain't gonna happen! I'm guessing your work van is white, as most are, and you are probably in and out of it several times a day keeping the heat from building up so much. Apples and oranges comparing the two. Dark colors and lots of glass are tough on A/C systems. These record setting heat waves are even worse.

Here are some tips on cooling any car faster. First thing is to get the heat out of the car as fast as possible. I'm getting in hot cars all day long at work and they all feel like you're getting into an oven when you open the door. I open at least two windows, if not all four, and turn the A/C on high blower speed. DO NOT use recirculate at this time as it just keeps recirculating the same 140º+ air that is already in the car. Let the A/C bring in outside air to force the hot air out the windows. In a very short time you have dropped the temp inside the car by 40~50º just by exchanging the air. Now the A/C can begin to do the job it was actually designed for. Start closing the windows as the A/C begins blowing colder air, then you can switch to the recirculate mode to help speed the process. It should start getting comfortable in the car very soon.
You are correct. I'm in Austin, TX, and every time I get in my car after work, a thermometer I have in my car reads around 138-140 degrees. I just roll down windows, open the sun-roof and go.

I'll be glad when I'm in Seattle. I've had quite enough of this heat!

If you have a van, its AC is probably designed to cool a larger area, so it will blow colder air quicker, since it is a heftier unit.

#24 ·
QUOTE (TurboDude @ Aug 3 2011, 11:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=485166
You are correct. I'm in Austin, TX, and every time I get in my car after work, a thermometer I have in my car reads around 138-140 degrees. I just roll down windows, open the sun-roof and go.

I'll be glad when I'm in Seattle. I've had quite enough of this heat!

If you have a van, its AC is probably designed to cool a larger area, so it will blow colder air quicker, since it is a heftier unit.

LOL just wait until you get here. This is the second year in a row with no summer. So far this year we've hit 80 degrees only once (and for just a few hours) Heck this week it's been sunny now for 3 days in a row .... first 3 days in a row without rain since last september. The grass always looks greener ....... and here it is cause it rains all the time. :00000732:

#28 ·
R134a refrigerent is what makes our a/c work. There isn't very much of it in the system. It works with special compressor oil that lubricates the internals and keeps it from seizing. The refrigerent will evaporate very,very quickly if it leaks out. Faster than acetone or alcohol by a large margin. With professional equipment, leaks are usually easy to pin down. If you have a leaky system, it won't be long before you have no cooling air. A system could be a little low on a charge... again, professional equipment will tell the story. Too much refrigerent is a bad thing too, so diy'ers be careful. Tinted windows can greatly help your systems performance. The heat load is greatly reduced, so your comfort level is higher. Windshield shades that fit well are a good investment too.The mold smell thing irks me. They tell up to replace our needlessly expensive cabin air filter to make it go away. I ask; why would mold grow in the filter, but not on or in other areas in the blower housing or condenser? Why doesn't it stink when we use the heater? Or the fan? Doesn't all the air go through the filter? (yes it does on outside air mode).Ask the service writer to remove the filter to demonstrate how the bad smell will disappear. It won't. Then suggest that he have his tech get out the disinfectant (Lysol or similar) and kill the mold that came with the car when you bought it, just like they would on a $50,000. Genesis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.