Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (BigSlick @ Aug 2 2011, 04:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484738
I don't have any noticable smell at all but I definitely have some slow cooling issues going on. When I start the car up and turn the air on, recurculate swith on too by the way, it seems to blow straight burning hot air for a while befor it starts to cool of at all. I pretty much have to start the car and stand out in the heat for 5 minutes before I even get into the car or else it's like having the heat on in the summer and I start sweatin like crazy!! After about 20 minutes or so it will be nice in the car but thats way too long for it to be taking. I have a chevy work van that gets freezing cold in a minute flat! I've never had a car that blew hot air like that while the A/C is on...Starting to get on my nerves now! :mad:

Ditto, exactly the same for my 2010 Tucson GLS! :angry:

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (BigSlick @ Aug 2 2011, 04:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484738
I don't have any noticable smell at all but I definitely have some slow cooling issues going on. When I start the car up and turn the air on, recurculate swith on too by the way, it seems to blow straight burning hot air for a while befor it starts to cool of at all. I pretty much have to start the car and stand out in the heat for 5 minutes before I even get into the car or else it's like having the heat on in the summer and I start sweatin like crazy!! After about 20 minutes or so it will be nice in the car but thats way too long for it to be taking. I have a chevy work van that gets freezing cold in a minute flat! I've never had a car that blew hot air like that while the A/C is on...Starting to get on my nerves now! :mad:
I'm hearing this same complaint from lots of people in all brands of cars these days. In very many cases, there is nothing wrong with their A/C systems. Look at the facts: Temps have been near 100ºF all over the country lately. You have a black car with a black interior and lots of glass area for the sun to beat down on. Park it out in the sun for any length of time and the interior temp can rise to 140º+. This means every part of the interior of the car is that hot, including the A/C components and ducting. Do you really expect it to be ice cold in a minute flat? It ain't gonna happen! I'm guessing your work van is white, as most are, and you are probably in and out of it several times a day keeping the heat from building up so much. Apples and oranges comparing the two. Dark colors and lots of glass are tough on A/C systems. These record setting heat waves are even worse.

Here are some tips on cooling any car faster. First thing is to get the heat out of the car as fast as possible. I'm getting in hot cars all day long at work and they all feel like you're getting into an oven when you open the door. I open at least two windows, if not all four, and turn the A/C on high blower speed. DO NOT use recirculate at this time as it just keeps recirculating the same 140º+ air that is already in the car. Let the A/C bring in outside air to force the hot air out the windows. In a very short time you have dropped the temp inside the car by 40~50º just by exchanging the air. Now the A/C can begin to do the job it was actually designed for. Start closing the windows as the A/C begins blowing colder air, then you can switch to the recirculate mode to help speed the process. It should start getting comfortable in the car very soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
QUOTE (11yfLtd @ Aug 3 2011, 01:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=484929
I'm hearing this same complaint from lots of people in all brands of cars these days. In very many cases, there is nothing wrong with their A/C systems. Look at the facts: Temps have been near 100ºF all over the country lately. You have a black car with a black interior and lots of glass area for the sun to beat down on. Park it out in the sun for any length of time and the interior temp can rise to 140º+. This means every part of the interior of the car is that hot, including the A/C components and ducting. Do you really expect it to be ice cold in a minute flat? It ain't gonna happen! I'm guessing your work van is white, as most are, and you are probably in and out of it several times a day keeping the heat from building up so much. Apples and oranges comparing the two. Dark colors and lots of glass are tough on A/C systems. These record setting heat waves are even worse.

Here are some tips on cooling any car faster. First thing is to get the heat out of the car as fast as possible. I'm getting in hot cars all day long at work and they all feel like you're getting into an oven when you open the door. I open at least two windows, if not all four, and turn the A/C on high blower speed. DO NOT use recirculate at this time as it just keeps recirculating the same 140º+ air that is already in the car. Let the A/C bring in outside air to force the hot air out the windows. In a very short time you have dropped the temp inside the car by 40~50º just by exchanging the air. Now the A/C can begin to do the job it was actually designed for. Start closing the windows as the A/C begins blowing colder air, then you can switch to the recirculate mode to help speed the process. It should start getting comfortable in the car very soon.
You are correct. I'm in Austin, TX, and every time I get in my car after work, a thermometer I have in my car reads around 138-140 degrees. I just roll down windows, open the sun-roof and go.

I'll be glad when I'm in Seattle. I've had quite enough of this heat!

If you have a van, its AC is probably designed to cool a larger area, so it will blow colder air quicker, since it is a heftier unit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
QUOTE (TurboDude @ Aug 3 2011, 11:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=485166
You are correct. I'm in Austin, TX, and every time I get in my car after work, a thermometer I have in my car reads around 138-140 degrees. I just roll down windows, open the sun-roof and go.

I'll be glad when I'm in Seattle. I've had quite enough of this heat!

If you have a van, its AC is probably designed to cool a larger area, so it will blow colder air quicker, since it is a heftier unit.

LOL just wait until you get here. This is the second year in a row with no summer. So far this year we've hit 80 degrees only once (and for just a few hours) Heck this week it's been sunny now for 3 days in a row .... first 3 days in a row without rain since last september. The grass always looks greener ....... and here it is cause it rains all the time. :00000732:

·
Registered
1 Posts
gas central heating sydney

BTU is an acronym for British Thermal Units and describes an air conditioner's cooling capacity. The higher the BTU, the stronger the air conditioner. However, the size of the room you're cooling is also important.
gas central heating sydney

·
Registered
647 Posts
When the car is super hot inside you are bettter off NOT using recirculate for a while since the air outside is cooler. Once the air inside goes from "balls hot" to just "hot" you can switch to recirculate and get that beautiful chilled air...

·
Registered
1 Posts
A/C stopped cooling, what gives?

I was driving yesterday. Stopped to let my daughter out, restarted the car, no cooling on the A/C. It was working perfectly when I shut the engine off. What would make it just stop cooling after working great moments before? :confused:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
R134a refrigerent is what makes our a/c work. There isn't very much of it in the system. It works with special compressor oil that lubricates the internals and keeps it from seizing. The refrigerent will evaporate very,very quickly if it leaks out. Faster than acetone or alcohol by a large margin. With professional equipment, leaks are usually easy to pin down. If you have a leaky system, it won't be long before you have no cooling air. A system could be a little low on a charge... again, professional equipment will tell the story. Too much refrigerent is a bad thing too, so diy'ers be careful. Tinted windows can greatly help your systems performance. The heat load is greatly reduced, so your comfort level is higher. Windshield shades that fit well are a good investment too.The mold smell thing irks me. They tell up to replace our needlessly expensive cabin air filter to make it go away. I ask; why would mold grow in the filter, but not on or in other areas in the blower housing or condenser? Why doesn't it stink when we use the heater? Or the fan? Doesn't all the air go through the filter? (yes it does on outside air mode).Ask the service writer to remove the filter to demonstrate how the bad smell will disappear. It won't. Then suggest that he have his tech get out the disinfectant (Lysol or similar) and kill the mold that came with the car when you bought it, just like they would on a $50,000. Genesis.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was at the dealer last week asking them to check out this foul odor that is coming from the A/C vents when A/C is in recirculation mode. I have asked them to look at this problem since the day I bought this car 1 year 8 months ago. Been to the dealer at least 10 times for this and other problems.

They always told me there is no problem with the foul odor and everything is fine. However last week they found mold/fungus in the A/C pipes. They told me they need to disinfect the entire A/C system and will charge me $140 because warranty does not cover this. I called Hyundai customer service and they said this problem exists with all cars and it is common issue. I ended up negotiating and paying the dealer $97 for the service.

Between me and my brother, we have had 20 different cars in the last 20 years – used and new and not a single one stinks like this one.
This really sucks when Hyundai does not own up to the problem and just take care of it under warranty. It basically says that the car came from the factory faulty but they that is normal and Hyundai is OK with that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have noticed mine will have a quick burst of Chemical Smell randomly. Smells like I let out some refrigerant. It's very strong, makes my nose burn. I have too roll down the windows when it happens.

I know it can't be refrigerant though, since the system would have too low pressure to function by now. Most systems are pretty particular about the pressure.

My previous sonata did not do this. Heck, I have never had a car that did this.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have noticed a lot of vehicles with a large gap between the clutch plate and the pulley assembly. I looked at hmaservice and they didn't give a spec for the correct gap. In my experience, it should be roughly 0.020". If larger, remove the clutch plate, and measure the thickness of the shim (small washer between coil and pulley). Replace shim (available at most auto parts stores) ((or remove completely, if required)) so that gap is reduced to above mentioned specification. If gap is larger, the magnetic clutch coil cannot pull the clutch plate far enough in to lock in the compressor, resulting in a slipping clutch plate (compressor not fully engaged). This will result in inefficient cooling. This is not specific to any make or model. I've seen similar problems with every manufacturer. The sad part is, most dealers will tell you the compressor needs to be replaced. That is fine if your vehicle is under warranty. However, it could cost you a thousand bucks to replace the compressor, when all you need is a smaller or removed washer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yesterday the outside temp gauge displayed 102 degrees. I hit the Auto button which automatically selects the the recirculation mode of venting. It definitely cools quicker that way.

·
Registered
647 Posts
No smells at all from mine, an SE 2.4 with manual HVAC. The AC performed well through our latest heat wave. Once it is running I leave it on recirculate because that tends to stop the stinky diesel smells from intruding. When I feel that chilled air wafting over me I wish I could meet whoever it was who invented refrigeration, possibly one of the greatest inventions ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also having problems with my Sonata Turbo air conditioner. I have brought it in several times for hot air coming out and taking 5-8 minutes for cool air to even come out. They always tell me they are "unable to reproduce the problem". Now I am hearing a a loud whinning noise that is coming from air conditioner. When I shut it off it goes away. I turn it back on and it is hit or miss if it happens again. Just so very frustrating.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I too have noticed a strong chemical odor when the A/C has been on for several minutes in recirc (no venting) mode. This has happened at least two times before. The system however is working very well. Looking for some consensus so to direct service to a particular issue. It doesn't smell like stale air. It is 100% inorganic odor.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It has been less than a month and car is stinking again from the A/C. This is after they disinfected it. Dropped it at the dealer again this morning. Lets see what they say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aircon works only when car is moving

Hi,
I have a second-hand 2002 model Accent (in India) that's barely done 34,000 miles, and is in a pretty good condition.
Except that after the last servicing, the servicing guys seem to have done something to ruin the A/C. Before servicing it worked perfectly well (both while car was in motion and when it was idling), but now, it only cools while the car is in motion, and if I'm idling at a traffic light, it soon starts pumping in outside-temperature air. (it is in recirculate mode).
If the coolant levels had dropped or there was a leak, I presume the Aircon wouldn't work at all, but while the car is moving, it gets very cold inside. The servicing folks have been unable to identify the problem (that they seem to have caused).
Has anyone faced this problem, was it resolved, and if so, how?
Thanks in advance,
-jdr

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hi,
I have a second-hand 2002 model Accent (in India) that's barely done 34,000 miles, and is in a pretty good condition.
Except that after the last servicing, the servicing guys seem to have done something to ruin the A/C. Before servicing it worked perfectly well (both while car was in motion and when it was idling), but now, it only cools while the car is in motion, and if I'm idling at a traffic light, it soon starts pumping in outside-temperature air. (it is in recirculate mode).
If the coolant levels had dropped or there was a leak, I presume the Aircon wouldn't work at all, but while the car is moving, it gets very cold inside. The servicing folks have been unable to identify the problem (that they seem to have caused).
Has anyone faced this problem, was it resolved, and if so, how?
Thanks in advance,
-jdr
Had same issue on my sonata. Problem was the low pressure was a tad bit high on my unit. Have them flush it and recharge it should work like a charm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok. I have a 2011 sonata and I have taken it back for air problems. My air was not working. They finally realized it and found the problem. They changed the panel in front. However I believe the smell never fully went away. A couple weeks ago I took it in because the smell came back stong. It smells like mildew. So they changed the filter. Now friday the smell came back. I took it back and they flushed it out. I thought maybe that would work. The smell came back yesterday. I believe this smell is making my family sick. Not sure what to do???????????????hate the smell

·
Registered
1 Posts
I took my 2007 Santa Fe into the dealership for an oil change and when I got it back the passenger side of the cabin was cooling and the driver side was not. after a week of this I took it in and when I got it back neither side was cooling. Any ideas why only one side would be cooling?

21 - 40 of 71 Posts