Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Sonata and It recently lt began to blow hot air out of one side and freezing cold out the other side. Took it to the dealer and the technician said he didn't know what was wrong but recommended that the system be evacuated and refilled at a cost of 281.00. Actually, what he said is that the compressor is either overfilled or underfilled. Anyone know of a problem like this?

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (bbell @ Jun 4 2010, 12:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329463
I have a 2007 Sonata and It recently lt began to blow hot air out of one side and freezing cold out the other side. Took it to the dealer and the technician said he didn't know what was wrong but recommended that the system be evacuated and refilled at a cost of 281.00. Actually, what he said is that the compressor is either overfilled or underfilled. Anyone know of a problem like this?
Wow, what the **** are they smoking? From your statement:

Cold air is blowing on drivers side, hot air is blow on passenger side?

1. Tech doesn't know whats wrong
2. Tech doesn't know whats wrong, so they recomend the system be evacuated and refilled at $281.00 since they don't know whats wrong and they can't read guages.
3. Compressor is over filled or under filled

Ok, so the tech shouldn't be called a tech. 2nd, what is evac'in and refilling going to accomplish? 3rd, its either over or underfilled. The gauges they hook up tell them. 4th, if it has not been touched and working fine, how could it magically over fill?

What trim is your car? Is it manual climate control or automatic climate control? Please explain what is blowing hot and cold. I'd demand to speak to the service manager. Better yet find another dealer or independent shop. If the system was over filled, it wouldn't be blowing cold it would be cycling on and off all the time same thing with being under filled. I'm not an A/C tech, but this is common knowledge!

Has your A/C been serviced at all? Whats your mileage? When did this start happening? More details please.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (bbell @ Jun 3 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329463
According to this site, the cost quoted might be typical. Dont forget you have a Warranty too. But you are the first Split Side A/C complaint!
http://www.costhelper.com/cost/cars/car-ai...nditioning.html

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts
Maybe look for another dealer and not just a shop yet especially if your still under 60k DO NOT PAY A DIME!!!

Yes more details would help us.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If one side is blowing cold air then I doubt there is anything worng with the A/C itself. More likely there is a problem with the ducting. If it is auto climate control then there is a problem with the sensor/mechanism that diverts cold air to the appropriate side.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (reubj @ Jun 4 2010, 03:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329524
If one side is blowing cold air then I doubt there is anything worng with the A/C itself. More likely there is a problem with the ducting. If it is auto climate control then there is a problem with the sensor/mechanism that diverts cold air to the appropriate side.
The Auto Climate control in the Sonata does not divert colder Air to different vents if needed . It is a Smart System, but not that smart!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
If it's blowing cold anywhere at all, it obviously is not a lack of refrigerant or compressor failure.

It looks like a ducting problem - this could be very obvious but most likely isnt. There's only one way to check. Got to look behind the dash. The tech obviously doesn't want to tackle this rather nasty little job.

After running the a/c for awhile, check the refrigerant lines under the hood - they have yellow dust caps over the Schrader valves. The low pressure line should be ice cold. The other line will be warm to hot. If these conditions are present - go to another dealer.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is, a duct fell off or a valve door is malfunctioning.

It wouldn't have anything to do with the compressor for sure. If you're getting cold air on 1 side,
the compressor is working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am hoping someone out there knows the answer to the question posed in this thread. I have the same issue. It's 91 degrees today in Chicago, IL and the drivers side vents and rear seat vents in my 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe limited blow ice cold air, but the front passenger side vents are blowing hot air. I drove it today for 90 minutes and the passenger side vents were blowing hot air the whole time. I have the dual zone climate control option, which I checked and rechecked to make sure it wasn't set to a high temp. Something is clearly very wrong. If I take it to a dealer, it will have to wait 3-4 paychecks. Does anyone know whats happening? Is it something a novice might be able to fix? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Actuator on on the side that does not change from hot to cold..

Scan with GDS and find DTC for offending actuator too, want to remove DTC from A/C module so it not lead somebody on a goose chase later on in life..

Easy DIY to replace the actuator.. common fault periodically.. dealer may have part on shelf.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Dual temperature control works by first cooling the air as cold as either side may require, and then warms up each side individually as needed. Your AC compressor is working fine, it would be a temperature control door that's failing to close off the hot air, or the software inside the control unit that's failing to tell the passenger side heat door to close. Does that all make sense?

Air enters ducting
Air is cooled
Air is split into left and right side of car
Left and/or right heat independent of each other as needed.

For my car, if I hold down the off button and press mode 4 times, it will pull up a list of diagnostic codes, something may show up there (if I get 00, everything's working fine). Of course, we have different models/year vehicles. Regardless, that sounds like most definitely the problem, and whatever shop you take it to should be able to diagnose that.

If I were you, I would just close off both passenger side vents and put up with it till you can get it fixed. The HVAC module is behind the dash, and a decent amount of labor time is needed to get access. It all depends how mechanically/electrically inclined and patient you are if you could find and fix the problem on your own. I would imagine it's not novice work though. Best of luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fixes for non-dual climate control vehicles?

I have a 2007 Santa Fe (the mid-level trim model...I can't remember the initials) that does not have dual climate control. I am having the same issue identified in the original post but have rule out the actuator issue because I don't have dual climate control.

Does anyone have any other ideas for what could be causing warm air (usually warmer than the outside temperature) to come out of the driver's side ducts and cool air to come out of the passenger side ducts?

Thanks,
Ashley

·
Registered
58 Posts
The blend door is sticking partially open causing both heat and AC to flow into the system. This was a very common thing on the Old Ford Rangers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts