Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 Sonata; passenger floor is soaked. Obviously the AC drain is clogged somewhere. Does anyone have info on where that drain is? I searched the forum and only one member mentioned the issue--five years ago--and never posted the resolution.

I bought the car largely because the AC worked....:crying2:

·
Registered
785 Posts
The drain is underneath your car. It's a rubber hose that's about the size of a finger. it should have an opening that is cut at a 45 degree angle.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Drain tube clogged by insect is typical cause..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Success!

Interesting. I just hopped on to report success in finding it. Now I wonder if there's another one.

Anyway, I looked down the firewall in the engine compartment, and there was a 2" U-shaped rubber 'elbow' dripping a bit of water. I pulled that off and it gushed water for some time. It was still dripping after I cleaned the turd-looking blockage and reinstalled it (push fit).

I took pictures that I'll upload when I have my transfer cable handy. Not sure I got a clear one of the spot on the firewall, but I did get a shot of the hose itself.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Good to hear.
Pics will definitely help the next person that comes searching for an answer.
The AC in my '05 is the best AC I have ever had in a car.
Even on 110* days I have to turn it down to 2 or it will freeze you out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pix

Well, the first shot of the hose was probably the best I can do unless I hook up my cable-cam (don't have the drivers on this new phone). The upper white-ish part goes against the firewall through a hole in some insulation. You can just make out the outlet still clogged with crap.

The second is a view of the firewall, and I can just make out a corner of the hose outlet. I tried to get a better shot of it today without success. My Galaxy S8 is just too difficult to hold down there with one hand and take the picture...keep thinking I'll drop it.

Suffice to say, it's about two-thirds of the way down the firewall on the passenger side (left side looking toward the back of the car for those with RH drive). You might be able to get a sense of the location by the rack on the left. The right side is the firewall insulation, and you can see part of the hole behind a wire harness. The little hose pulled right off and seemed to be filled with something the texture of cat poop, but not sticky. Pushed right out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
That was completely clogged.
I had something similar happen with the AC in a home I used to own.
Hadn't used the AC in months and months, turned it on then went to run some errands.
Came back to a non-working AC with water all over the insides of the HVAC unit.
Bugs had built homes in the drain pipe outside and the condensation tray overflowed shorting out the control board.

The AC in these cars is spectacular so I bet they produce a ton of condensation.
Mine works fine now but after seeing your drain tube I may pull mine just to make sure it isn't getting clogged.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That was completely clogged.
I had something similar happen with the AC in a home I used to own.
Hadn't used the AC in months and months, turned it on then went to run some errands.
Came back to a non-working AC with water all over the insides of the HVAC unit.
Bugs had built homes in the drain pipe outside and the condensation tray overflowed shorting out the control board.

The AC in these cars is spectacular so I bet they produce a ton of condensation.
Mine works fine now but after seeing your drain tube I may pull mine just to make sure it isn't getting clogged.
Dead simple to do. No tools involved beyond something to ream out the hose...as long as you can find it. Five minutes, tops.

There was standing water in the passenger floorboard--over a pint the next day when I wet-vac'd it up--and water had been spitting on my leg on the driver side. I vacuumed up what I could, than let the car stand in the sun with the doors open for several hours to dry it out. Been so hot here, that did the trick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah bad smell in AC is very common in cars. Cold, wet and dark places are good breeding grounds for mold and bacteria. Get a new filter and spray lysol in the vents to kill off all the bacteria and mold.

To prevent this from happening someone suggested to me a while back to turn the AC off when you get to your destination and just run the fan ONLY for about 3 minutes. This will dry up any wet spots in the system and prevent mold and bacteria growth.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That my situation
I have had a funky dirty sock smell when I first turn on the Air Conditioner. I called the Hyundai Dealer and they said to take out the cabin filter and spray Lysol in the intake in front of the windshield. I did this while the A/C was not on recirculate and fan speed on High. I didn't spray a ton of Lysol in just a fair amount. Within a minute or so a ton of liquid was coming out of the drain tube under the car and made a very large puddle. I stuck my finger in the puddle and it didn't smell like Lysol in smelled like stale water. Do you guys think I might have had a blockage in the tube that broke free? and if so should I do any further cleaning. I looked under the car tonight with the a/c on tonight and it was a constant drip like it should be.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah bad smell in AC is very common in cars. Cold, wet and dark places are good breeding grounds for mold and bacteria. Get a new filter and spray lysol in the vents to kill off all the bacteria and mold.
I don't have any untoward odors in mine; but I am interested in changing the filter. I guess I can search that out, but does anyone have an idea of where it physically resides in the car?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Filter

I don't have any untoward odors in mine; but I am interested in changing the filter. I guess I can search that out, but does anyone have an idea of where it physically resides in the car?
Its behind the glove box. Open box you will see a string thing on the right of it. slide plastic part in hole to get it off. Next on each side of the glove box there are two rubber parts. Push them in and slide a bit to pop them out. The glove box will now move all the way forward. There is a plastic door there now. If i remember right its a plastic twist lock type deal. Just turn that lock and slide out the door. You will see filter right there just slide out top half then reach in and remove the other half. Make sure you buy the two part filter or you have to do a lot more work removing things to get it in. Just put new filter back in place and make sure you follow the air direction arrows on old filter for new filter. Also while its open you might as well vacuum and do what you have to do. Takes 10 min tops super easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts