Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, we took our car to pep boys, because it suddenly won't start. They are telling us that the ac is completely dead, it is affecting the belt, the compressor needs to be replaced, and they want $1000.00 dollars to fix it. Can't we just tell them to remove the ac unit completely out of the car, and leave a simple pulley so the car will start? We sure don't want to pay $1000.00. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That sounds like BS to me. Pretty sure the belt would squeal and slip somewhere before preventing the engine to start. Also if you disengage the A/C the clutch should spin freely even if the compressor is dead. You need a second opinion from somewhere else.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
13,704 Posts
That sounds like BS to me. Pretty sure the belt would squeal and slip somewhere before preventing the engine to start.
You'd be surprised. I was called out to look at one of those wee smart cars the other week that wouldn't crank, and it turned out to be because the alternator had seized.

I think your right about the compressor pulley though...unless the car is fitted with a variable displacement compressor that doesn't have a clutch.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Jumping to conclusions ... I thought I was king of the hill.
But, we have one person just saying Pepboys
Another saying they are BS. But, they haven't actually seen the car not inspected the AC pulley

If the OP wanted to put a pulley in there just to get the car running then did they ask the mechanics??
And, when is it impossible for a clutch pulley to seize??

Is it possible to cut or take off the AC belt then run the engine to get it home?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone :). We did ask the mechanic if he could just put a pulley in there, and he said no. We will get a second opinion.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Yeah, some mechanics just won't help out.
I am sure it is possible to do it.
But, look at other mechanics to see what estimate it is for replacing the damaged parts.
After all, summer heat and you will want the AC???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah we would like to have it, but are used to not having it. I'd like to post updates about the second opinion. Oh also, it's a 2006 sonata.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I think this is for a 2.4L 2007 4-cyl engine.

Regardless, the serpentine bels for the 2006 Sonata engines are--I think--single belts. There is no "secondary" belt for the AC unit.

Also to note:
1) It's not an easy task just to "put in a pulley." Not unless Hyundai made such pulleys for cars manufactured without AC compressors.
2) You're describing a 2-step failure: The compressor is jammed up, AND the clutch isn't releasing. That's not typical.

Definitely worth a second opinion.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Not by the look at that pic. Bit hard to get other opinions when it won't start unless they come to you. Just take the belt off and if it starts OK give the items driven by the belt a turn by hand till you find the offender then you might be able to explain it over the phone to other repair shops.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is it possible to cut or take off the AC belt then run the engine to get it home?
That would probably destroy the engine. The serpentine belt runs everything, including the water pump. The car would overheat, have no power steering and no battery charging.

It is definitely possible to replace an AC clutch assembly on a compressor. It involves using snap ring pliers and a 2-3 jaw puller. If there is enough room in the bay (in this case, underneath), it can be done without disconnect the AC and refrigerant lines. Otherwise you have the cost of recharging the system to contend with.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think this is for a 2.4L 2007 4-cyl engine.

Regardless, the serpentine bels for the 2006 Sonata engines are--I think--single belts. There is no "secondary" belt for the AC unit.

Also to note:
1) It's not an easy task just to "put in a pulley." Not unless Hyundai made such pulleys for cars manufactured without AC compressors.
2) You're describing a 2-step failure: The compressor is jammed up, AND the clutch isn't releasing. That's not typical.

Definitely worth a second opinion.

View attachment 444844
That definitely looks like a diagram for the 3.3L V6 just like OP has with the A/C compressor the lowest pulley. I would do like charlescrown suggested and remove the belt to see if the engine starts. I wouldn’t leave it running long without the water pump spinning but it would confirm if it’s something locking up the belt, and it won’t have time to overheat in a few seconds.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would do like charlescrown suggested and remove the belt to see if the engine starts.
Or once the belt is off, turn all pulleys by hand to see if any are locked up (as suggested by CharlesCrown). The only thing that won't turn by hand is the crank pulley. Still, if something had locked up, it would burn right through the belt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the second guy agreed it's the compressor, and replaced it. It is starting fine now, but he also warned us the starter is on its way out. He chargd us about $300 less, but it was still a lot of money. He said the battery is fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts