Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since getting my new 2010 Santa Fe a few weeks ago, I have noticed that when stuck in traffic, missing a stop light 2 - 3 times and when parked in parking lot with car running for AC - the AC seems to cut out. It promptly starts cooling again as soon as the car starts moving.

I (naturally) figured that something was wrong with the car and brought it to the shop today.

The shop examined the AC and found nothing wrong. The service guy told me flat out that that's the way the Santa Fe AC is intended to work - the compressor stops running when the car idles in order to save gas.

Can this possibly be right?

Imagine the agony of sitting in traffic in, say, Texas or even here where it's not as hot (South Carolina). If the service guy was right - can anything be done?

I would never have bought this car if I had known that the AC would stop cooling when the car idles. It's ludicrous.

Thoughts?

thank you

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
That is absolutely unacceptable and I agree with angelo that you should take this up with Hyundai Consumer Affairs quickly...definitely before summer gets here.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
Are you guys sure this isn't normal operation? The A/C in every car I've owned, including my Santa Fe, cycles on and off at idle all the time. You can hear it click and change the engine rpm, and I imagine that this effect would be even more pronounced with a 4-cylinder as the OP is driving. Perfectly normal.

PS: hmaservice.com indicates no issues with the A/C on the 2010 model, so I'm not sure what "serious problem" angelo is talking about.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
If it cuts out completely at idle and doesn't come back on again until the car starts moving, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and most certainly doesn't sound like SOP. I know that my A/C seems to blow colder while in motion but this probably has something to do with the compressor spinning faster with RPMs and it does cycle but cutting out completely while stopped just doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Every vehicle I've had cools much better when RPM's are higher, when driving, and heats much better as well.

Another reason why Remoter Starter units are USELESS. :bwekk:

·
3,861 Posts
QUOTE (trucker @ Apr 21 2010, 06:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315227
Every vehicle I've had cools much better when RPM's are higher, when driving, and heats much better as well.

Another reason why Remoter Starter units are USELESS. :bwekk:
I have to agree with this, my wife's GLS I4 has a really hard time warming up unless the car is moving. The AC is pretty good and no issues like the op is seeing. I am considering a Remote Start now that I have a less then 2 minute drive to work. My temp gauge doesn't move at all by the time I'm there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've seen this happen to some vehicles when the auxiliary electric fan for the condenser quits working and the vehicle is sitting still in traffic. Did they verify the E-fan is working?

Joel

·
Registered
31 Posts
So on that basis when you are stuck in a non-moving traffic jam in the middle of summer, aircon will go off and you fry? Doesn't sound much of a sales feature to me. Glad mine doesn't do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts