Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Sonata with 32,000 miles. AC suddenly stopped working on the way home from a trip. It was diagnosed that the compressor needs replacing (new Hyundai part over $1000. + labor & tax; new after-market around $650. + labor & tax). Dealer denies any coverage since it's over 36 months. Seems pretty premature; is this a known problem with this year/model? Or is it pretty much all on me at this point?

thanks

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Is the system gassed up ?

Does the clutch engage ?? Wont engage with no gas in system....

Compressor is not a real fail item in most respect across the product line here.. random field coil open - short circuit wont allow coil to energize and couple the compressor shaft to pulley via clutch plate..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the system gassed up ?

Does the clutch engage ?? Wont engage with no gas in system....

Compressor is not a real fail item in most respect across the product line here.. random field coil open - short circuit wont allow coil to energize and couple the compressor shaft to pulley via clutch plate..
Diagnosis states:
Refrigerant charge full
Test HVAC system controls
Circuits all good to A/C compressor
A/C compressor clutch failure
Needs A/C compressor assembly replaced

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
Clarify clutch failure ....

Field coil open circuit or short circuit ?? Replace field coil.. parts is cataloged in MICROCAT.. as long as compressor not locked up..

EDIT your DRIVES 2010 Sonata to reflect 2.4L or 3.3L there below your username... 2010 came with 2 engine choice

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'd press them for the reason they want to do the compressor. The clutch/hub,pulley, and coil are all replaceable. Their own wording states clutch issue, yet circuits are good? Hmm. Sounds more like a coil to me, but who knows what they came up with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clarify clutch failure ....

Field coil open circuit or short circuit ?? Replace field coil.. parts is cataloged in MICROCAT.. as long as compressor not locked up..

EDIT your DRIVES 2010 Sonata to reflect 2.4L or 3.3L there below your username... 2010 came with 2 engine choice
Did the edit - 2.4L
thanks

The garage has a good reputation but honestly I don't know anything besides what it says on the garage receipt and what they're telling me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd press them for the reason they want to do the compressor. The clutch/hub,pulley, and coil are all replaceable. Their own wording states clutch issue, yet circuits are good? Hmm. Sounds more like a coil to me, but who knows what they came up with.
Thanks for your reply. The garage has a good reputation but honestly I don't know anything besides what it says on the garage receipt and what they're telling me. Can't imagine going garage to garage at $100. per diagnosis hoping to hear something different.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
2010 Sonata with 32,000 miles. AC suddenly stopped working on the way home from a trip. It was diagnosed that the compressor needs replacing (new Hyundai part over $1000. + labor & tax; new after-market around $650. + labor & tax). Dealer denies any coverage since it's over 36 months. Seems pretty premature; is this a known problem with this year/model? Or is it pretty much all on me at this point?

thanks
36 months? Should be part of the 5/60 coverage. Isn't it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts