Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now it's summer and I was able to try the air con for a full 20 mile journey. Here is the surprise: on 1.4 i30 petrol, keeping air conditioning switched on (not climate control btw) seems not to affect the power delivery or the fuel consumption at all! Perhaps makes a 0.2 mpg difference but on fuel consumption meter, the diff is barely registered.

It seems a big and pleasant contrast to my last car a 2.0 litre petrol where you could really feel the power loss on switching on the air con.

Anyone else observed this?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes definitely working. On a long extra-urban trip (school half term so less traffic) I've been getting a reading 44.7 mpg. After turning on air con it flicked to 44.6 for a while and then back to 44.7, over 20 miles. Or is my consumption meter malfunctioning?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe mine is just working too well, it turns my feet to blocks of ice within a mile. :) I've started just opening the windows and putting the normal heater on cold air.

They usually reckon aircon takes at least 10% from the mileage. It took quite a bit on my Laguna 2 litre and a smaller engine should need to work harder to power it .

p.s. I posted a reply to you on GB Hyundai forums a few days back

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Does the A/C cool the whole cabin OK? A friend of mine has a black Touring (USA) with the 2L engine, and on real hot days the A/C seems to be a bit lagging in cooling the whole cabin, and rear seat passengers can hardly feel it....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The front passengers always enjoy a direct blast of cool air, I don't believe this model has separate rear air jets, or?

So the usual solution is to switch to recirculation mode, this will have a strong cooling effect. I noticed on my i30 recirc is either simply ON or OFF, no graduations. So do you get any fresh air at all on recirc I wonder?

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
QUOTE (hyundai_on_thames @ Jun 21 2010, 03:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334840
The front passengers always enjoy a direct blast of cool air, I don't believe this model has separate rear air jets, or?

So the usual solution is to switch to recirculation mode, this will have a strong cooling effect. I noticed on my i30 recirc is either simply ON or OFF, no graduations. So do you get any fresh air at all on recirc I wonder?
..Not sure, it's my friend's car, he bought it just 2-3 weeks ago, and this weekend was quite hot here, the car is black, and yes, he drove it setting the A/C to MAX which recirculates the air, but even after a while, the impression was that the rear of the cabin does not cool enough.... My guess is that this model has a much larger cabin volume, compared to the regular Sedan (again, we're talking the US model), and this A/C system may be not designed for such a large volume... I suggested to turn the air flow direction to the windshield ("defrost"), so that the air travels ABOVE and gets easier to the back of the cabin.... Not sure yet what was the outcome of my idea...

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
after using my XG model for 95,000 miles and having always kept a record of the fuel economy l can also state that there is no difference at all whether the air con. is on or off. always 26 m.p.g. overall consumption

·
Registered
3 Posts
A possible reason for this is that switching on the air-con changes the geometry of the turbo ie. you get a bigger boost from the turbo when the air-con is on to compensate for the extra power used

1 - 9 of 9 Posts