Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.

Just a quick question, anyone with an ix20 finding that the fan control doesn't work unless it's set at the 4 setting. I've tried playing around with it, and it really doesn't seem like anything's coming out at 1, 2 or 3. So I was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and whether or not there was an 'easy' fix.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,583 Posts
Hello Ryan, welcome to the forum. Nice to see a fellow Scot on here.

It sounds like your blower motor speed resistor has burnt out. The resistor is bypassed when you switch the blower onto full speed. That's why 4 works and all the lower speeds (that go through the resistor) don't.

It's an easy fix. Just replace the resistor. It's usually on the air duct behind the glove box, but I've never done one on an ix20.

Scott.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll certainly check it out, is it an easy DIY fix, or is it a return to dealer type issue?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
14,583 Posts
It's normally quite an easy DIY fix. As I said, I've never replaced one on an ix20 before, but it's usually a case of removing the glovebox and the resistor is usually fitted onto the airduct between the blower motor and the heater box. Hyundai resistors usually have a 4 pin plug and are secured by a couple of screws.

You'll probably need to buy it from the dealer. I've no idea what it would cost. Hyundai spares tend to be a bit pricey. A search of e'bay might be worth a try. I think the i20 & ix20 will probably use the same resistor so if nothing comes up against ix20 try again using just i20. It's a more common model so you'll maybe get more luck using that.

Scott.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again, I'll look in to it, as the 4th speed setting is really loud just for demisting the windows haha.

Ryan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the help Scottie, got it booked in at the dealership I got it as a free repair. Not sure if it's even covered by the Hyundai Warranty but they're doing it anyways :)

-Ryan

·
Registered
14,583 Posts
Well done!

I never thought to ask how old your car was to see if it was still covered.
What dealer is it you're using?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a 2011 (11) plated ix20, one year left of Warranty. We're using the Hyundai Service Center in Aberdeen, they're gonna call us to make an appointment to disable the auto-locking doors feature and do the resistor at the same time.

I do have another question about it though, would you know if the '11 ix20 has an Overdrive feature? I upgraded from an i10 with it, but couldn't find anything about it on this one.

Thanks,
Ryan :cool:

·
Registered
14,583 Posts
If it's not got the button, it must not have it. Probably a more modern box than your i10 had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys.

I have same problem.
I dismounted all covers under the steering wheel but i'm not able to find the resistor.
It seems it is behind the plastic airflow directed to driver foot but I cannot realize how to remove it. There are 2 screws but even if i remove them, it doesn't go away.
Anyone have suggestions or photos?

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts