Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Sorry for this dumb question, but what is air cold intake and how many HP gain can be achieved from this?.

Thx

Danny

·
Registered
19 Posts
Originally posted by 8888a@Aug 24 2004, 07:42 AM
Hello Folks,

Sorry for this dumb question, but what is air cold intake and how many HP gain can be achieved from this?.

Thx

Danny
[snapback]887[/snapback]​

Hi, its been a while since u posted your question, but in case u still care, a cold air intake helps the air get cooler before it enters the combustion chamber. Air at lower temperatures gets more dense, therefore, it decreases its volume. Since it takes up less room in the chamber, more fuel can be added to the mix. I'm not sure on how many HP's you could gain, but you should be feeling the difference. I'm actually in the process of getting an air intake for my sonata (gotta order the part from the US, i cant find it here in Peru)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just to add a bit more info about Cold Air Intake (CAI) systems.

These systems do two things:

1) Make it easier for air to enter the engine

Just as a dirty air filter will affect performance, the stock air filter and the path the air has to follow to get into the carburetor restrict the air flow.

As you can see from photos, the CAI is basically a curved metal tube with a filter on the end. The CAI is matched up with a “high performance” air filter, which passes air more easily than the standard paper filter.

Because the filter is out in the open, air can enter from all directions and there’s very little to get in the way after that. The result is an engine that breathes easier and develops more power.

2) Cold air Vs Warm Air.

Most Cold Air Intakes pull in air from just behind the grill at the front of the engine compartment so the the air coming into the engine is cooler. The regular air cleaner draws air across the top of the engine and the exhaust manifold.

Cold air is denser so it expands more in the combustion chamber than air that was warm to begin with. This means that, for a given air volume coming into the engine, more hot gasses are produced to push down on the pistons and make the wheels go round.

I don't know if cold air would carry more fuel - my guess would be the opposite. I know that cold air carries less humidity than warm air so maybe the same rule would apply for gasoline but thats just a guess on my part.

--------------------

Some things to consider:

1) Cold air may be good but cold-cold air may not be so good. In cold weather, the stock air intake is designed to draw air over the exhaust manifold. During engine warm-up, pre-warming the air improves fuel vaporization, compensating for the cold carburetor and intake manifold. (With fuel injection you don’t have to worry as much).

In very cold weather you might find the vehicle with a CAI takes longer to warm up. I'm talking cold as in Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal so I don't know if this would be such a problem in warmer climes.

2) Cost – A CAI and filter goes for around $150 US. Installation is pretty straightforward.

For about $60 you can purchase a K&N filter to replace your standard air filter. These filters are washable and reusable so they last pretty much forever.

K&N claims using their filters give a 5 to 10 % increase in horsepower over standard air filters. I’ve never used one so I can’t say from personal experience.

There is some debate about how much extra horsepower you get from going the added step of the CAI instead of just using a hi-perfromance air filter. Of course they sound pretty cool and that should count for something.

4) If you have a newer vehicle, installing a CAI may affect your warranty.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just too add my little bit to what's been said...

"Cold Air Intake" kits may also be called "Induction Kits" - just in case you have trouble finding one.

I'm not 100% sure on this - but I think that you can look to gain about 5-10 BHP by using a cold air induction kit. But, as gordo said, you may have problems if you car is not fuel injected and it's cold out.

Try asking some people in the forum for your specific car and one of them may have fitted an Induction kit and be able to answer your questions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, as Gordo said, a CAI doesn't help air get colder, it instead picks up colder air. My mistake on that. What I'm pretty sure about is that colder air, since its denser, takes up less room in the combustion chamber, so more mix can be delivered (isn't that the same principle of nitrous oxide?).
I've heard that Weapon R CAI's aren't quite good, if thats true... is that the only brand of intakes i can install on a 95 sonata? I want to get some extra HP's (well... actually A LOT extra HP's, but i'm going step by step) and i want a good, reliable and good performing part. Specially since i'm paying for the shipping all the way from the US to Peru, I don't want it to broke a week after I install it. I hope I can hear your comments and advice soon. Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Weapon R product looks to be failry well made so I would think it would hold up.

I've not seen comparisons between differnt manufacturers so I don't know for sure whther there are big differences in performance between this and other brands.

Its possible that , even though they are not advertised, AEM or Injen would have a part that would either fit or could be adapted to the Sonata. You'd have to contact them directly. AEM's main US distributor is AJ-USA - http://www.ajusa.com. InJen's web site is http://www.injen.com/

You could also try contacting someone on the Hyundai Performance forum at http://www.hyundaiperformance.com/forums/

Gordo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts