Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
A mechanic check my car and there is a b 1378 code and he told me that is mitchell system is enable for this code the air bag lamp is on and i'm insecure
tanks

Mod edit: do not write caps lock.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (PLUMDART @ Sep 1 2010, 05:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353644
A MECHANIC CHECK MY CAR AND THERE IS A B 1378 CODE AND HE TOLD ME THAT IS MITCHELL SYSTEM IS ENABLE FOR THIS CODE THE AIR BAG LAMP IS ON AND I'M INSECURE
TANKS

Caps lock...

B-1378 is DSAB high resistance....

Connector under the seat needs to have pins re-fitted to make for positive connection, and the wire harness secured to seat bottom so the movement of the harness cannot wiggle the pins in the connector to work them loose.

Common issue for XG (1378.1382).... also clean out everything from under the seats and keep it out from under the seats

·
Registered
146 Posts
Connector under the seat needs to have pins re-fitted...
Not to hijack someone's thread, but is there a TSB on this? Which connector is this? I mean, in the nest of cables under the seat...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (A_Null @ Sep 3 2010, 08:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354152
Not to hijack someone's thread, but is there a TSB on this? Which connector is this? I mean, in the nest of cables under the seat...

No TSB...

Big YELLOW connector snapped (hopefully snapped) into a black plastic bracket under the seat.

The movement of the harness from floor to the connector wiggle back and forth over time, junk under seat, careless HOOVER operation wiggles the pins in the connector, and eventually you have a poor fitting connection (high resistance code)

·
Registered
146 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Sep 3 2010, 08:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354167
No TSB...

Big YELLOW connector snapped (hopefully snapped) into a black plastic bracket under the seat.

The movement of the harness from floor to the connector wiggle back and forth over time, junk under seat, careless HOOVER operation wiggles the pins in the connector, and eventually you have a poor fitting connection (high resistance code)

This is typically the driver's side? (judging from "DSAB", above)
I have an Air Bag light on my XG300, and I thought I remembered something about routing of underseat wires, but I was thinking that coulda been on a Sonata.
I have popped the DS seat and checked underneath for an obviously loose plug, but as I recall, the yellow one looked secure and still clipped in place. (I guess all the AB conns are those yellow/self shorting deals, right?)

Was this a common issue on the passenger side too?

Anyway, there IS a connector dangling under the driver's seat, coming from the harness side (floor), but it's a black two-wire deal, with black and orange wires. Definitely not a yellow, self-shorting AB connector. I could not find its' mate. Looked like all other connectors were intact. I suspected seat heater, but like I said, I could not find another connector anywhere to go with it.

[attachment=20125:xg_under...onnector.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
"sbr711" is absolutely right about the wiring under the drivers seat being out of place, i'm almost certain you will have something down there that jammed it up. But there is a TSB as this happens to a lot of Hyundais from '99-'05. Unbolt the seat's 4 bolts and get to it, there should be no shark corners when mounting the yellow connector that has wire loom on it.

The little black connector pictured by "Null" has nothing to do with the SRS system, and has no use if it's not allready plugged in.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Anytime an XG shows up for SRS LIGHT is illuminated, we speculate as to which side it is and see who is right when the DTC comes up on GDS screen

Common with XG is DSAB, and PSAB High Resistance...

I have my own way of checking for open or short.... I make the open or short and watch the DTC screen, it will verify my test in a matter of seconds.... harness is good, did not have to really tear anything apart

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine turned out to be wires going to drivers side air bag being cut (probably by previous owner stuffing something under the seat) I spliced the wires back together using heat shrinkable connectors and wrapping in electric tape, then used wire tie to attach to seat to keep up out of the way. SRS light is out! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
SRS dash light goes off on it's own??

So the Air Bag light will go off on it's own if the problem is resolved?

My Air Bag light has been on for years on my 2005 XG350. Our car was vandalized where they poured margarita mix all over the dash and front passenger area (a goey mess). Long ago I removed the drivers seat. All connectors looked connected, but I disconneted them, cleaned with contact cleaner, dried with compressed air and reconnected. I have always wondered if my problem was gone, but the light was still on because code(s) need to be manually cleared to turn light off. My OBDll reader does not show AB codes :eek:( . Dealer wants $100 to connect to their code reader, so I never bothered.

I always assumed it was a gummed up connector from the vandalization, but my wife leaves junk all over the floors, so a physical issue could be the culprit too.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Got to know the code to know where to go to repair, lots of SRS related codes for opens/shorts, DAB, DSAB , pretension for both belt and buckle, buckle switch, impact sensors front and side, SRSCM internal failure code, lots of stuff to work with

·
Registered
39 Posts
Since my OBDll doesn't read SRS codes, I guess I am stuck with the $100 + option to have the dealer read the codes. I checked the local O'Reily's and they do not check codes. They just sell the readers. ANy other options besides going to a dealer to find SRS codes?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
ANy other options besides going to a dealer to find SRS codes?
Try some the busy independents, I think the Snap-On Tools scanner might be capable, provided they bought software to get into the Hyundai SRSCM..

Another might the OTC GENISIS, depending on what software they bought.. not a lot of call for Hyundai, as Hyundai has silly warranty, so most return to dealer.

Even then, the 2 formentioned items is not inexpensive, so they going to charge you for time/use of the equipment.. so the dealer be best option, they have the factory Hyundai software, access to all relative info, typically know the meaning of the code right now based on text of code description, and know right where to go.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Any idea if the MIL/CIL would mean maybe one of the many air bags just might not deploy in an accident (that would normally trigger that particular bag). So you accept the risk of ever needing that one air bag.

Or is it just as likely that one code could cover several air bags. I figure the odds of airbags ever needing to deploy on a given car are fairly slim. I am trying to balance that (perceived low) risk with a $100 to $300 troubleshooting cost at a dealer.

Off topic... Sbr, you say you are getting 30-33 MPG. Is that on a 3.5L XG350??? :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Don't trade your healthy and safety for $100-$300. It's not an acceptable risk. It's not worth it. Get it fixed and get it fixed properly. We don't want to lose any forum members! It's small enough the way it is! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same problem here. Air bag light is illuminated but I don't know the code..yet. I can see pretty clearly the driver side wires all look intact. Will probably have to remove the passenger seat to confirm their condition. Does anybody know if a ScanGuage II will read AB codes?

·
Registered
890 Posts
ScanGuage II will read AB codes?
No. It is an OBD2 device and as such it does not know anything about SRS/AB.
You'll need a device in the league of an Autoboss V30, Autel Maxidas, Launch Diagun etc. . Or a dealer tool like HiScan or GDS. The cheaper Autel MD701 can also do SRS and ABS but read my experience with it before buying.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts