Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Sonata V6, 85,000 miles, no problems. Air bag light came on today. Who has this problem and what was the problem? I will take the car in to have the code read next week, but wonder what to expect. The car has never been in an accident. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scan SRSCM, go from there..

B1448 will get the seat cushion taken out and air-freight to Hyundai overnight for HMA in CA to repair the OCS part in cushion, then overnight back to dealer,, this is a no charge to customer, HMA expanded a previous recall to repair more units..

Dont go into dealer assuming your SRS light is automatically warranty, if 1448 found, HMA will cover,, if some other of 100+ DTC recovered, it be customer pay, unless some extended contract applicable that cover repair item

·
Registered
121 Posts
I, and a bunch of other people have been down this "air bag" road. Which air bag light is lit for you............the one near the dash tachometer, or the one in the middle of the dash for the passenger seat??

If it is the dash warning light, it reflects that the wiring connector to the driver's seat belt buckle is not working properly. Disconnect and reconnect the wire connector to the buckle that is under the driver's seat. You may also want to use some electrical spray can cleaner on the connector. If that doesn't fix it, then you will need a new seat belt buckle receiver.

If it is the warning light near the radio, then it reflects that the weight sensitive netting on the passenger seat is defective. It cost big bucks to get that fixed.

These are always the same problem areas causing the air bag light to come on. If you go to the dealer, they will charge you $125 to diagnose the above problems. The dealer will not pay for any repair costs for this problem.

There is a huge write up about this problem on an earlier post. It has about 13 pages of replies from what seems like hundreds of people with the same problem and how they responded to it. Suggest you do a search for this post under "air bags" and read it all.

My dash air bag light came on, and with all the cold and snow, I knew I would not be able to get it fixed any time soon. I pulled the fuse for the warning, and will address the buckle problem, when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Rooster22, did you not read post #2 above carefully ?

Me -> if some other of 100+ DTC recovered

you -> If it is the dash warning light, it reflects that the wiring connector to the driver's seat belt buckle

I really dont feel like copying the large list of applicable DTC for SRS and pasting it here
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you -> weight sensitive netting on the passenger seat is defective. It cost big bucks to get that fixed.

me -> B1448 will get the seat cushion taken out and air-freight to Hyundai overnight for HMA in CA to repair the OCS part in cushion, then overnight back to dealer,, this is a no charge to customer, HMA expanded a previous recall to repair more units..

I dont see any customer big bucks... Hyundai Motor is paying for the repair, and we provide loaner at our place while cushion out for service in CA,, typically 3 day round trip, out of car in morning, off to Fed-Ex by afternoon, 3rd day return to dealer, and maybe 40 minute install/GDS work..

-----------------------------------------------------

You do not even know what DTC is stored in boehmb' SRSCM, and I dont know either.. lets scan the module, see what particular circuit is seen to be at fault, and make a proper repair the first time, rather than blurting out it is automatically the seat belt buckle for driver seat.. please refer to list of applicable DTC at Hyundaitechinfo.com for the SRS control module,, all kinds of open/short circuit codes for buckle switch, impact sensor, DAB/PAB/DSAB/PSAB, left buckle/right buckle exploders, left belt/right belt exploders/FIS and SIS, SRSCM internal fault code.. and it automatically a buckle code for driver seat ?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...and I will report what the problem was as soon as I get it checked this week. I will check all connections under the passenger seat later this morning. I'll let you know if the light goes off. And to be clear, it's the light by the speedometer, not the passenger warning light.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tool to read

Scan SRSCM, go from there..

B1448 will get the seat cushion taken out and air-freight to Hyundai overnight for HMA in CA to repair the OCS part in cushion, then overnight back to dealer,, this is a no charge to customer, HMA expanded a previous recall to repair more units..

Dont go into dealer assuming your SRS light is automatically warranty, if 1448 found, HMA will cover,, if some other of 100+ DTC recovered, it be customer pay, unless some extended contract applicable that cover repair item
Is their a scanner available for a lay person to get to find out the code for the SRCSM?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hyundai GDS is what we use at dealer,, SRS is proprietary info, we dont have to share access to that like that of the .GOV mandate that OBD-II has to acessible and share meaning for DTC, that why anybody can buy an OBD-II code reader and recover OBD-II codes, but stuff like SRS, BCM, and other system on our car you need manufacture' software to get in and recover DTC in the offending module

Here 1 that has SRS light, been wrecked, but not fully repaired yet

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
As noted above, the airbag light on the dash in the gauge cluster can mean it's one of many, many problems.

But, the buckle and a couple other things are the most common causes. In my case, the dealer told me it was the buckle. I waited a week before having it repaired, and during that week I found that if I wiggled the male part that plugs into the buckle while it was latched, the airbag light would flicker, leading me to believe they were right.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As noted above, the airbag light on the dash in the gauge cluster can mean it's one of many, many problems.

But, the buckle and a couple other things are the most common causes. In my case, the dealer told me it was the buckle. I waited a week before having it repaired, and during that week I found that if I wiggled the male part that plugs into the buckle while it was latched, the airbag light would flicker, leading me to believe they were right.

One more vote for a bad buckle. Most times that is the culprit. Suggest using some electrical spray contact cleaner on the electrical contacts. It is possible that something rolled under the seat, and bumped into the connector to create the problem. Also, possible that someone's foot bumped the connector from the back seat, if their foot went under the seat. That connector is not protected under the seat, as it should have been, when manufactured.

·
Registered
467 Posts
One more vote for a bad buckle. Most times that is the culprit. Suggest using some electrical spray contact cleaner on the electrical contacts. It is possible that something rolled under the seat, and bumped into the connector to create the problem. Also, possible that someone's foot bumped the connector from the back seat, if their foot went under the seat. That connector is not protected under the seat, as it should have been, when manufactured.
In my case, it was not a connector under the seat, it was in the buckle itself.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Code is B1448 "passenger side seat sensor" although it seems to be working fine and has always sensed someone sitting in the seat. My mechanic said the air bag system is still fully functional. He cleared the code and the light is off, checked all connections under the seat, etc. Should I still do anything?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Who is "my mechanic"?

Read post #2 again --
As stated previously, 1448 will get the seat cushion sent to Hyundai Motor in CA for repair..

Get all your paperwork in order from "mechanic",, and head straight to Hyiundai dealer of choice, and tell them you you wish for them to proceed withthe 083 recall and get your cusion repaired by HMA

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"Mechanic" is a Hyundai mechanic that went out on his own after 20-years at Loren Hyundai in Glenview IL. I will take the car in and use our '13 Elantra when the seat is gone... Thanks

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Kinda funny he would do that to you..

After lunch here, next ticket up on my screen is a 2006 for SRS light, was scanned Saturday, so after I finish the Warranty starter repair car first, I be pelling seat cusion out and part dept Fed-Ex to HMA in CA for repair...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Cushion received from Hyundai Motor Co via Fed-Ex this morning.. put cushion back into seat frame and cleared DTC.. used car lot in big city up the road can sell their car now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
B1448

I have an instrumental cluster AIR BAG warning light on. There are no any other problems (i.e. with "Passenger Air Bag Off" indicator).
Dealer read the code, it's B1448. Does it mean I still need to get seat sensor replaced, despite there are no symptoms of OCS failure, indicated by "Passenger Air Bag Off"?
Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dealer should be sending cushion to Hyundai for "083" recall via the 1448 code.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts