Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate this message. I feel like it takes toooooo long for it to allow me to select Agree and proceed. I want to get in my car, plug my phone in and go.

How can we get rid of this stupid screen from coming up EVERY DANG TIME?!?!

I don't have a Nav system.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
If you have the backup camera, gets rid of it in a hurry, always have to seem to backup first.

To the best of my knowledge, no Hyundai reps on this board, only they can change it, get the same disclaimer on my Garmin's.

Could make it more brief:

"Even though we gave you all these toys to play with, do not play with them while driving!"

Unfortunately this also includes your right front passenger.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The backup camera is a great work around. I Guess I will have to enable even though I back into 95% of parking spaces and my driveway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Camera works because the head unit doesn't pause its timer. Usually backing up fulfils the timers needs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Ha, do you read that long message each time or just hit confirm?

I call that touch screen a smudge screen, make sure your hands are clean and oil free.

Older electronic devices like a smart phone had a slide out keyboard, really complex, but cheap to purchase. Touch screens are super cheap, printing press operation, but want an arm and a leg for these things.

Was invented by an English man back in 1967 and patented by him, forgot his name, based on the fact us humans are equivalent to a 10 pfd capacitor. His patent expired long ago, but was never applied until recently. When its cold and dry, don't even work, but that rubber tipped pen always does. Should have one on a string with these new cars.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ha, do you read that long message each time or just hit confirm?

I call that touch screen a smudge screen, make sure your hands are clean and oil free.

Older electronic devices like a smart phone had a slide out keyboard, really complex, but cheap to purchase. Touch screens are super cheap, printing press operation, but want an arm and a leg for these things.

Was invented by an English man back in 1967 and patented by him, forgot his name, based on the fact us humans are equivalent to a 10 pfd capacitor. His patent expired long ago, but was never applied until recently. When its cold and dry, don't even work, but that rubber tipped pen always does. Should have one on a string with these new cars.
Its a capacitive screen. It senses a localized change in the charge on the screen. For it to work something touching it needs to be able to absorb the charge. Use a stick of wood, no reaction. wet the tip of that same stick, it'll work.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Disclaimer screens suck. If cars were invented in 2017, you'd probably have to agree to a disclaimer before you can even drive.

My Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX head unit has a disclaimer also, but just disappears when I start driving.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
22,787 Posts
Guys, it has been annoying at times. But I never gave any consideration as to why. I back out onto our street, so it's not in "annoy" mode.

But as I give more thought to it, it IS aggravating at times. And that's due to me pulling forward from some location in a parking lot, etc. I just gave no thought to it. Now I'm gonna REALLY hate that disclaimer. (And secretly see if I can call in an "adjustment" favor, shall we say?)

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Does take awhile for that "Confirm" icon to light up so you can hit it. Wasn't a problem before, would just take off and tell that woman locked up in my GPS where I wanted to go, but this expired after a year.

Now I have to wait for the confirm icon to light up so I can program my destination in the GPS, or just send Hyundai 297 bucks so I can talk to that lady for another year.

Least it still lets me find a gas station or a restaurant while driving, on many other factory GPS units, can't even do this. Have to pull over and park first, but not a two lane state or country road with no shoulder on it. On an interstate, can pull off, but will never get back on again due to excessive traffic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is my solution to the start-up warning screen problem. I never start the car at first. I push the start button without touching the break and this gives the car time to adjust the seat (if you have power seats with memory), I put the hand brake down, put on my seatbelt and then I can confirm that I have read the message. It goes away immediately. Then I start the car. Try this and the message no longer is an issue.

·
22,787 Posts
The whole ulterior motive of that safety message was probably the same reasoning behind most other caution labels: law suits. Because common sense doesn't prevail anymore.

The pictured label on a blower fan housing depicting four fingers flying into space because the hand was placed inside the scroll housing while it was running. Sad that it has come to that. We have "dumbed down" the American consumer. I'm ranting, again. Oops.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
It seems like with time, that confirm button is lighting up much quicker. Index finger on my right hand hits that start button, jumps over to that confirm button, and taps on that. Without thinking.

Other day, don't ask me why, wife forgot to bring her work computer, called me to bring it over, only weighs six pounds, set it on the passenger seat that set off that alarm. Had to stop and hook up he safety belt, that constant beeping noise was driving me crazy, ha, my excuse.

When you first hit that start switch, dash lights up like a Christmas tree, but only takes a couple of seconds for all those warning lights to go off. Other vehicles, as long as 30 seconds. Doesn't give me very much time to say a prayer that they all go off. So have to say my prayer before hitting that start switch.

Vehicles use to have separate buzzers for alarms, today, using the radio for this with eight speakers to get your attention.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I need to run out and see which map version my navigation media system is using, but the disclaimer message quickly goes away for me perhaps b/c the system wants to quickly jump into that split screen navigation mode...perhaps those of us with the nav system, it tends to jump into 'function mode' more quickly.

[just a thought]

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Cool, if I add or delete a contact to my phone, radio keeps track of this, and will update if I say okay.

Owners manual for my 88 Supra, a very complicate vehicle is only 100 pages long, try 583 pages for the Elantra, some are even over 700 pages long. All deals with disclaimers and written by attorneys, just small parts of it by engineers in our sue happy society. Shop manuals are the same thing, but not written for the general public, more for professionals.

Really don't have to told not to drink brake fluid or the exhaust manifold is hot, not just once, but a zillion times. Guess its okay to use an acetylene torch, but don't smoke while working on the fuel system.

Some have a complete DMV manual inserted, but after each paragraph state, this is only general information, refer to your states DMV manual.

Indexes are terrible, both in shop and owners, just use Adobe Acrobat that has a good search engine, or wouldn't find anything. If I wanted to, could dump that constant repeated safety stuff and reduce these manuals down to a third. World is going nuts in my opinion.

Ha, went crazy with trying to program that garage door opener, assumed, a dirty word, that since it copied one of my remotes, would work. But looking this up on the internet, had to put my garage door receiver in the learn mode first, manual didn't say anything about this. Since I programmed this thing 20 years ago, had to dig up the manual to remember how to do this, then, it worked.

If my wife wants to pair her iphone with the radio, has to delete me first, can only pair with one, can't do this when driving.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do not have the navigation in my vehicle. I wanted all of the other features that came with that package (sun-roof, memory seats, autonomous breaking, lane keep, premium speakers, auto dimming mirror, etc.) but the dealership wouldn't make it work. They almost didn't give the agreed upon price to begin with. I have an iPhone with Apple Maps and that suffices for navigation.

I have had an after market remote start installed. It works by pressing the lock button on my FOB 3 times. I have noticed that if I start the car by the time I get in and step on the brake for the over-ride, the screen comes on and the confirm button is available to press. That make it better.

I haven't read the screen but I know why it is there.

I say, take the warning labels off of everything and let it sort itself out.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Feel one warning label is necessary on the steering wheel. DO NOT DRIVE CROSS HANDED!

If you do and elect to drive into a tree or a concrete wall, you could kill yourself with your own fist.

Ha, on previous vehicles with 8 track, cassettes, or CD's was no warning not to shuffle through a stack of these trying to find the one you were looking for. There was no warning not to do this while driving, assumed you had common sense.

Flying was a different story, when going in blind, besides watching all those instruments, had to switch frequencies and verify with a mic in your hand. And do not forget to pitch your prop, set you mixture control and drop your landing gear. And while doing this, had to switch your radio to ground.

What about a warning on your smart phone, do not text while jay walking across a busy street. This list today can be a mile long.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't read the screen but I know why it is there.

I say, take the warning labels off of everything and let it sort itself out.
Exactly. This is strictly liability/legal gymnastics. We've reached the warning label saturation point that they've become totally irrelevant. If a person with common sense doesn't bother to read them, certainly people with no common sense won't even see them. Although I like your theory of letting things sort themselves out, in practice, these are the same numbskulls that will inevitably rear end you or kill you in a head-on. Darwinism and driving don't mix very well.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Exactly. This is strictly liability/legal gymnastics. We've reached the warning label saturation point that they've become totally irrelevant. If a person with common sense doesn't bother to read them, certainly people with no common sense won't even see them. Although I like your theory of letting things sort themselves out, in practice, these are the same numbskulls that will inevitably rear end you or kill you in a head-on. Darwinism and driving don't mix very well.
It's cool to see you back in the forum....however brief it might be this round. If the below doesn't make you laugh...um, well.....

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Ha, was good to read the manual on the first 1930-33 vehicles I owned, lug nut wrench doubled as a hand crank for the engine. If you did not fully retard the spark advance, throttle, and have the choke pulled out, by hand cranking, you could brake your arm.

Until the late 40's, accidents use to be an Act of God, after this, people took the blame. But really got bad in the early 70's, instead of the victims getting the cash, the attorneys got most of it.

First major lawsuit was against Cessna aircraft, some idiot in a Skyhawk with 3 passengers aboard decided to adjust his seat while taking off, slid back and all four were killed. Cessna got hit with a 7 million buck lawsuit, this was around in 1973. Because Cessna did not put a warning sign on the dash, Do Not Adjust your Seat While Flying. Recall this like yesterday, before my insurance rates and the cost of my plane was no more than an automobile, rates when up so high, couldn't afford to fly it anymore, so was forced to sell it at a loss.

For a million buck railroad crossing bridge in town, the DNR sued the DOT for killing some kind of worm when digging a hole. Instead of costing the taxpayers a million, doubled the cost, crooked attorneys got all that extra cash. This list is over a 1000 miles long.

Was in the late 80's, GM hired a bunch of attorneys, wasn't even permitted to talk to another engineer in another department unless an attorney was present. I am not making this stuff up. Ha, MacDonald's being sued for a million for not stating a hot cup of coffee is hot.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts