1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Why do we need a tire system that tells us it's having a problem? What's the matter with people today that we can't even check our own tires every week or two?
I'm designing the self cleaning seats for vehicles built in 2020 and beyond. Why should we need to stop for bathroom breaks anyway? Just let it fly and technology will have your back.....or backside.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why do we need a tire system that tells us it's having a problem? What's the matter with people today that we can't even check our own tires every week or two?
I'm designing the self cleaning seats for vehicles built in 2020 and beyond. Why should we need to stop for bathroom breaks anyway? Just let it fly and technology will have your back.....or backside.....
Why do you care? The OP was looking for help, if you nothing to contribute you could just move along, but instead you had to put your 2 cents in, which in turn prompted me to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been looking at purchasing the 2018 2.0T model in Canada. One feature that's missing is TPMS. I was thinking of getting either of the following:

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with using aftermarket TPMS?
I have no experience in the aftermarket products that you're looking for unfortunately my 2016 has it is regular equipment good luck

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Why do you care? The OP was looking for help, if you nothing to contribute you could just move along, but instead you had to put your 2 cents in, which in turn prompted me to do the same.

If my post could not make you smile you are most miserable. That's not my 2 cents....that was free.....

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I have no experience in the aftermarket products that you're looking for unfortunately my 2016 has it is regular equipment good luck

Now you get my 2 cents.....If you can't contribute why did you post.....basically you tell me to keep it to myself unless it helps......How does your reply help him?.......

ZERO

I'm sure mine will make a few people smile. Don't know what's wrong with you.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do check the tires regularly. Just recently, I also checked them just before going on a long trip and they were fine. However, after several hours of driving one of them was visibly low when I got out of the car. As it turns out I picked up a nail on the way and the tire was down to 1/3 of it's recommended tire pressure. If I kept driving it's possible I could have had a tire blowout. This to me is where TPMS might have come in handy and it's what made me even think of looking into it the first place. Do you disagree?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I do check the tires regularly. Just recently, I also checked them just before going on a long trip and they were fine. However, after several hours of driving one of them was visibly low when I got out of the car. As it turns out I picked up a nail on the way and the tire was down to 1/3 of it's recommended tire pressure. If I kept driving it's possible I could have had a tire blowout. This to me is where TPMS might have come in handy and it's what made me even think of looking into it the first place. Do you disagree?
I think you are smart enough to know when a tire is losing pressure while you are driving without a light needing to pop up and tell you. The problem with these lights are many people depend on them and don't even bother checking their tires. The system doesn't flag nearly soon enough as far as I'm concerned. Why should a tire be looked at as OK when is more than 20% deflated? Should flag at 3psi as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The system shown in the link in the first post looks like a reasonable solution. The cost is very low compared to what TireRack (US company and I don't believe they ship to CA) offers, so I would hope it would be reliable for several years. One concern with aftermarket TPMS is their resistance to RF interference, since that's an issue with some systems that use the 315MHz frequency.

I can appreciate wanting a TPMS solution. Two months ago, my brother was driving on a 600 mile trip at steady highway speed when the tire light came on. One tire had a puncture and the light warned him, allowing him to change the tire before it got so low that it damaged the tire or wheel. With front drive cars, a low tire in the rear can be difficult to detect, so the sensor did its job, letting him choose when to pull off safely to change the tire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts