Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired 2012 Accent manual transmission.

Overall I am very happy with the vehicle, but the shift knob I do not like at all. I am coming from a 2008 Elantra that had the sliding rings style of reverse gear engagement, which I much prefer.

Are the gear shifters between Elantra and Accent interchangeable? And if not, are there any good aftermarket shifters available for 2012 accent?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I highly recommend the billet pro shop shifter.
Thanks so much for the response.

I assume you are referring to this: billetproshop(dot)com/product/hyundai-accent-short-shifter-2012/

This does look nice, and a huge upgrade over the stock shifter.
But is this the only option? It's hard to justify $200 for something that is more of a luxury.

If there is nothing else cheaper, I will probably go with that once I have some spare change.

Also, what is the difference between a regular shifter and a "Short Shifter"?

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's pricey, but very well made and includes an equally well made billet knob. Short shifter refers to the travel between gears, not the height of the shifter. I consider it to be more than just a luxury... It completely transforms the feel of gear changes and makes the car much more fun to drive, for me at least.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In the cheap small lux market, I am waiting to receive this in a few weeks:
[ame]https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B079QTPGDN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

"uxcell® Faux Leather Hoop Loop Closure Car Auto Gear Shift Knob Shifter Cover Protector Red "

I am happy w/ the feel of the current shifter knob (chrome and leather version in my GLS), but the chrome is peeling a little bit, so I thought to give this cover a try.

More on the topic, I am not going to replace the shifter fully as suggested in this thread, but do believe that a short shifter would be a nice improvement...

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is the next-most tempting mod for my Elantra GT. The potential to shorten the milliseconds seeking gears seems huge in terms of my brain's bandwidth. While I'm looking at a speed, rpms, listening to the engine, watching complex traffic movement, fumbling for a gear is a big distraction. I'm not concerned with performance on a track, more the opposite, driving like grandma and shifting appropriately for best mpg.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just installed this on our Accent yesterday. I didn't tell the wife I was doing it, and how much it cost either. lol.

It's a very good upgrade, I can't believe we went almost 6 years without upgrading it.

The shifts are short and direct.

My wife drove the car today and was very happy with the quality of the shifting. It's much easier to drive.

Here's my pro tip when installing...
Follow the KIA Rio instructions on BPS, as well as the hamanual for removing the centre console.
when you get to the part about removing the black cup and placing it on the BPS SS.
1. You will need to use the allen key provided, use to loosen the the bolt on the reverse lockout on the BPS SS.
2. use a screwdriver or needle nose pliers to remove the c lockpin by the threads of the BPS SS. Place the lockpin in a safe place.
3. remove spring and reverse lockout, and then slide the black cup into position.
4. slide the reverse lockout back out. insert the spring (make sure the white part is closest to the threads on the BPS SS). push the c lockpin back into position. Then screw the bolt you removed with the allen key back, the hole is on both sides of the stick, if one side doesn't screw in, try the other side.

That's it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to have short shifter along with cable busing and base bushing on both my 2003 elantra GT ... was day and night from stock ... I plan on doing that mod one the accent at some point. Hope I won't have to wait too long before doing it.

One of the shifter I made myself (with my father who is a welder) from the OEM one ... take it appart, cut the shaft above the ball to shorten it, cut below the ball and put the cut-out from above below to augment it's lenght ... there you go short shifter in the front-rear movement... of course a real short shifter is always better cause the side part is also longer so it shortens the side movement of the shifter. It was really easy doing it on the elantra, wonder if it would also work on the accent ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts