Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting a remote start (had one on my old car and loved it). BestBuy as the Viper 5101 for $200 installed but they tell me I need a bypass (for $150) and special labor to get to the lock switches in the door.

The first question is does the 2011 Sonata need a bypass module?

$150 seems quite steep for a bypass module when they sell one (Directed Electronics) on their own website for $80 and I can find them elsewhere for under $50.

Lastly, is this really that hard to do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Charade @ Nov 13 2010, 08:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371422
Considering getting a remote start (had one on my old car and loved it). BestBuy as the Viper 5101 for $200 installed but they tell me I need a bypass (for $150) and special labor to get to the lock switches in the door.

The first question is does the 2011 Sonata need a bypass module?

$150 seems quite steep for a bypass module when they sell one (Directed Electronics) on their own website for $80 and I can find them elsewhere for under $50.

Lastly, is this really that hard to do?

Thanks.
OK they are only charging you 200 installed for a 5101, that seems like a good price. Considering you can buy the unit for about 100 bucks. Idatalink or xpress module for the Sonata should cost about 80 bucks and this will control the doors and locks and everything else that need to be controlled. So they are just B.S's you about the special labor. All they need to do is connect this part to the ALDL and a few other wires and it will control door locks, factory smartkey bypass, factory alarm bypass, trunk release, trunk & door triggers.

Yes the Sonata needs a bypass module, make sure you purchase or they supply a xpress kit DBall Flashed for your Sonata or a idatalink module ADS-AL CA that also needs to be flashed.

So to answer your last question if you know what you are doing then no it is not hard to install. Neither of these bypass require an extra key. and both cost around 80 bucks and will make the install a lot easier for the tech. They offer cheaper bypass modules that do not offer as many features as the ones I listed. But the listed modules will make the install a lot easier and cleaner.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am an installer, and that sounds like their just trying to rip you off. The sonata does not need a bypass. I installed a 5901, smartstart module,and proximity sensor with no bypass. Lock/unlock works just fine, i have no idea why you would need a bypass for this. Got the domelight, both parking lights (they will need to splice both positives together or only one side will work with the arm/disarm) truck pop, and i wired up the gas tank pop as auxiliary 2 for **** and giggles. Took me an hour total, only wire that was hard to find was the domelight wire.

If you live in the new york/long island area come by my garage and ill setup an appointment.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (meshuggah27 @ Nov 14 2010, 02:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371478
I am an installer, and that sounds like their just trying to rip you off. The sonata does not need a bypass. I installed a 5901, smartstart module,and proximity sensor with no bypass. Lock/unlock works just fine, i have no idea why you would need a bypass for this. Got the domelight, both parking lights (they will need to splice both positives together or only one side will work with the arm/disarm) truck pop, and i wired up the gas tank pop as auxiliary 2 for **** and giggles. Took me an hour total, only wire that was hard to find was the domelight wire.

If you live in the new york/long island area come by my garage and ill setup an appointment.
You will need to bypass the Smartkey. So how do you do that without a module?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the Viper 5902 installed with the Expresskit XK09 Basically the same as the 5901. I have the Limited with Nav which has the Smartkey and push button start. Have remote start, door unlock, and lock, trunk unlock and rear defroster hooked up. You can use either the DBall or XK09 Expresskit and cost is from $49.00 to $69.00 and they will usally flash it with the latest Sonata firmware before they ship it to you. My installer said it was a very easy straight forward install. No extra modules or relays required. Paid $240.00 for the labour but I supplied the remote and Expresskit

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (ONNFIRE @ Nov 14 2010, 02:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371561
I had the Viper 5902 installed with the Expresskit XK09 Basically the same as the 5901. I have the Limited with Nav which has the Smartkey and push button start. Have remote start, door unlock, and lock, trunk unlock and rear defroster hooked up. You can use either the DBall or XK09 Expresskit and cost is from $49.00 to $69.00 and they will usally flash it with the latest Sonata firmware before they ship it to you. My installer said it was a very easy straight forward install. No extra modules or relays required. Paid $240.00 for the labour but I supplied the remote and Expresskit
Is the HK09 for Hyundai? From what I've been reading, it says it's for GM. According to the Xpresskit website, the 556UW (uses a key) or TBXKEY is what they list for a Hyundai

I looked at the wiring diagram and it doesn't look all that hard. I might buy the remote start and bypass kit and give a go (before it gets too cold around here!).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
forget about the 556u. It's a waste of a perfectly good key. using the xpress kit DBall Flashed for your Sonata or a idatalink module ADS-AL CA will make your like a **** of a lot easier. And offer more features than the XK09.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 14 2010, 04:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371592
forget about the 556u. It's a waste of a perfectly good key. using the xpress kit DBall Flashed for your Sonata or a idatalink module ADS-AL CA will make your like a **** of a lot easier. And offer more features than the XK09.
Thanks. I was able to find the Python 1401, the DBall, the window control module and the firmware flasher, decently priced, on Amazon. com for just a little more than the price of BB's remote start kit alone. Now to get them installed or install myself.

Do I need to access the wiring in the door to control the windows? If so, I skip that.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Charade @ Nov 14 2010, 06:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371611
Thanks. I was able to find the Python 1401, the DBall, the window control module and the firmware flasher, decently priced, on Amazon. com for just a little more than the price of BB's remote start kit alone. Now to get them installed or install myself.

Do I need to access the wiring in the door to control the windows? If so, I skip that.
Which window module did you purchase?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 14 2010, 06:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371629
This will be a great help to you. Sonata Wiring I found it here in this forum. Props to iceberg802 for doing a great job. It tells you every wire and their location.

You might want to check this out for a window integration option.Shark's Window module
Thanks for the links but the wiring link is dead or unaccessible to me. Does the Shark window module work with Viper/Python systems?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
OK try this link
Wiring sheet

The shark unit works off of the door lock signal. This signal would also come from an aftermarket unit, such as a Viper 5901 with the Data bus module I listed above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts