Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace the factory head unit in my 2010 Sonata. The dash kit instructions say to remove the shifter knob and shifter panel trim. Would I be able to just remove the trim and leave the shifter knob in place? (it seems that i could just unclip the panel and rotate it 90 degrees to get it out of the way). How easy or difficult is it to remove the shifter trim? I was going to head to Autozone and buy a trim removal tool but I don't want to break the clips that hold it in place. Has anyone done this that could provide me with a few pointers on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (robertk @ Jun 20 2010, 10:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334798
I am going to replace the factory head unit in my 2010 Sonata. The dash kit instructions say to remove the shifter knob and shifter panel trim. Would I be able to just remove the trim and leave the shifter knob in place? (it seems that i could just unclip the panel and rotate it 90 degrees to get it out of the way). How easy or difficult is it to remove the shifter trim? I was going to head to Autozone and buy a trim removal tool but I don't want to break the clips that hold it in place. Has anyone done this that could provide me with a few pointers on this? Thanks!
Trim removal tools you should definately pick up as you will reduce the risk of scratching and breaking clips. To remove the factory head unit you do not have to remove the shifter know or shifter panel trim at all. You first need to unscrew the two screws holding the piece of trim that divides the top half of the dash from the bottom half (They are located under the piece after you open the glove box). After the screws have been removed use the trim tool to pop of the trim piece. Once the trim piece is removed all you have to do is unscrew the passenger airbag light then the hazard light to reveal the screws in holding the radio. Then just remove the screws from the radio.

Here is a link to instructions too with images.
http://documents.victorytechnologies.com/d...oduct/11649.pdf

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Gadgettime @ Jun 21 2010, 07:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334859
Trim removal tools you should definately pick up as you will reduce the risk of scratching and breaking clips. To remove the factory head unit you do not have to remove the shifter know or shifter panel trim at all. You first need to unscrew the two screws holding the piece of trim that divides the top half of the dash from the bottom half (They are located under the piece after you open the glove box). After the screws have been removed use the trim tool to pop of the trim piece. Once the trim piece is removed all you have to do is unscrew the passenger airbag light then the hazard light to reveal the screws in holding the radio. Then just remove the screws from the radio.

Here is a link to instructions too with images.
http://documents.victorytechnologies.com/d...oduct/11649.pdf
Thanks for getting back to me. The 2009 and 2010 Sonatas don't have this trim that divides the dash. That pdf is for 2006-2008. This is the pdf I have for the kit: http://www.installer.com/pdf/95-7333.pdf

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (robertk @ Jun 20 2010, 10:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334798
Did you get to the install? If so did you have to remove the shifter knob? Also, looking at the pdf wiring, looks like you lose steering wheel controls? Let me know because the steering wheel controls are something I like and don't want to lose.

·
Registered
193 Posts
QUOTE (Swampduck @ Jun 28 2010, 12:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336814
Did you get to the install? If so did you have to remove the shifter knob? Also, looking at the pdf wiring, looks like you lose steering wheel controls? Let me know because the steering wheel controls are something I like and don't want to lose.
you need a pac adapter for wheel controls and radio that can support it - most of the units allow you to keep your wheel controls

1 - 5 of 5 Posts