Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen any cold air intakes or and of aftermarket exhaust for the sonata yet. Do you think there will be alot of aftermarket stuff come out?

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (tylerv20 @ Apr 22 2010, 11:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315855
Yeah i hope one comes out soon, that hp would be nice. Im trying to find some kind of exhaust too.
careful with the exhaust. You should get ones that are advanced or you will gain HP but sacrifice torque, which will cause you to lose drivability at lower speeds. Get ones that actually allow pressure to build up at low speed and open up as you gain rpm.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Exhaust coming tomorrow... So excited!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean by advanced exhaust?

Acyes, What brand of exhaust are you getting? where did you find it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (tylerv20 @ Apr 23 2010, 02:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315880

on simple after markets exhaust system, which open up restrictions on the exhaust you lose tq/hp at the bottom end, and gain HP/tq at the top end. This means you will lose power in the range you mostly use your vehicle to get around. For instance you will lose Torque in the 2-4.5rpm range but will gain in the 4.5-6.5rpm range. So to tap that extra power your going to have to be revving up high all the time or in racing situations you will tap it. Realistically, we all use the vehicles to get around town and on highways. So you have to ask yourself if its worth losing power in the range you will be using your vehicle most to gain a small increase in HP/tq in the high range.

You have to have a certain amount of restriction in the exhaust to keep your low end torque up at the lower levels of RPM so SOME manufactures of exhaust systems have devised a method to prevent this loss of hp/tq at the lower end. They have made it so the opening is smaller at lower rpm creating back pressure and opens up fully as you get to the higher rpm range thus giving you the best of both worlds. When i researched this it was a few years back when i had just bought my mazda 6. I have no idea who offers this at the moment. SOme people just get it for the sound and thats fine. Just wanted to give you a heads up if you're doing it for performance gain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Guys,
I think year from today we will have many more aftermarket parts available. The new Sonata is still sold in small numbers and many parts makers haven't updated their offerings yet, but they are closely watching the market and i'm 100% positive that next year we will see many of them driving the bandwagon... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
623 Posts
QUOTE (tylerv20 @ Apr 23 2010, 02:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315880

Custom Magnaflow setup. Will post later today on it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a K&N cone filter from my previous 2004 Sonata. It definitely sounds better, and seems to add a few extra HP as well. Just removing the stock cover allowed a lot more air to flow over the cone filter. Someone also posted a strut bar from Shark Racing which is currently in the mail, if you take a look at the main 2011 forum page you will find it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I installed a cone filter and removed the stock filter so the cone filter kind of rests above where the stock filter was. I have noticed a gain in HP since I drive stock sonatas all day long, also there is a HUGE difference in engine growl especially at WOT on the highway of course.

I was running with a v6 honda accord this morning on the highway and he was so impressed with the sound and me crushing his Honda that at the next stop sign we talked for a few mins about the Sonata.

Have fun modding is great!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The Sonata pictured above is a Canadian GLS model.

All Canadian 2011 Sonata with Automatic transmission comes with Heated seats.
SE model is not offered here.

Models offered in Canada. You can get Navi only on the Limited model.
GL, GLS, Limited, and Limited w Navi

·
Registered
594 Posts
EL'aton, I am still waiting for my 2011 but one thing that I thought that they could easily improve on, was to make the arm rest on the centre console slightly higher and longer in order for my right elbow to be able to rest on the console while still holding the steering in a 20 after 10 position for those long stints of freeway driving. I believe an add-on piece cut from some firm foam and covered with the same covering as either the leather seats or the current console cover, will do it. Maybe this is an idea that you folks could explore as an available accessory?

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiDealer @ Apr 27 2010, 06:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317428
I installed a cone filter and removed the stock filter so the cone filter kind of rests above where the stock filter was. I have noticed a gain in HP since I drive stock sonatas all day long, also there is a HUGE difference in engine growl especially at WOT on the highway of course.

I was running with a v6 honda accord this morning on the highway and he was so impressed with the sound and me crushing his Honda that at the next stop sign we talked for a few mins about the Sonata.

Have fun modding is great!!
Any chance of creating a video just so that we can hear how it sounds now? Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
QUOTE (RamKat @ Apr 28 2010, 03:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317704
EL'aton, I am still waiting for my 2011 but one thing that I thought that they could easily improve on, was to make the arm rest on the centre console slightly higher and longer in order for my right elbow to be able to rest on the console while still holding the steering in a 20 after 10 position for those long stints of freeway driving. I believe an add-on piece cut from some firm foam and covered with the same covering as either the leather seats or the current console cover, will do it. Maybe this is an idea that you folks could explore as an available accessory?
try this

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MEMORY-FOAM-CAR-TRUCK-A...=item27a6aa4d74

1 - 20 of 25 Posts