Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand every time I look at the aftermarket "lumens" see how bright lights but in the reality 800 lumens but everything labels general on eBay said "10000 lumens" I feel like this is full bull****. Do you agree or not agreed?

Do you know what I am talking about?

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is not unheard of LEDs of >150 lumens per watt (the theoretical limit is 250-300 lm/W see https://phys.org/news/2010-08-white-super-high-luminous-efficacy.html )
So for a "bulb" with diodes that draw 50 W you could get 7500 lumens although good luck battling with the heat such a light would produce (and getting it away from the diodes.

Also marketing sells them as a pair so 2x 7500 = 15000 lumens am I right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not unheard of LEDs of >150 lumens per watt (the theoretical limit is 250-300 lm/W see https://phys.org/news/2010-08-white-super-high-luminous-efficacy.html )
So for a "bulb" with diodes that draw 50 W you could get 7500 lumens although good luck battling with the heat such a light would produce (and getting it away from the diodes.

Also marketing sells them as a pair so 2x 7500 = 15000 lumens am I right?
I am sorry, I don't understand completely. I am trying make little brighter in dark night because I don't like yellowish, I like near white. HID is little too harsh.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I just replaced mine with 2500LM (ea) LED's and really enjoy the difference in brightness and color.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You have halogen bulbs and you want to replace them with "whiter" / brighter halogen? If yes, you maybe wasting your time. There are Philips halogen bulbs that are 5000K but they won't last nearly as long as OEM.

Your best option is LED or HID.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You have halogen bulbs and you want to replace them with "whiter" / brighter halogen? If yes, you maybe wasting your time. There are Philips halogen bulbs that are 5000K but they won't last nearly as long as OEM.

Your best option is LED or HID.

No I don't want Halogen bulb, I had LED bulb in previous my Kia Soul and there color were "Diamond White" I like those color but I am trying to find right LED bulb and that will able to hold my Tucson headlight adapter plus it is enough to able see down road by dark nigh time. For example I want this but not sure if worth it or not worth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-H7...rentrq:b4ac9f7e1620a9c4d7427622fff98a3e|iid:1

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
No I don't want Halogen bulb, I had LED bulb in previous my Kia Soul and there color were "Diamond White" I like those color but I am trying to find right LED bulb and that will able to hold my Tucson headlight adapter plus it is enough to able see down road by dark nigh time. For example I want this but not sure if worth it or not worth.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHILIPS-H7...rentrq:b4ac9f7e1620a9c4d7427622fff98a3e|iid:1

I can save you the trouble. These won't fit. The adapter needed for the Tucson is unique. Some have been able to modify the adapter and make it work. The adapter is really for HID's.

I purchased these and they work great. I did have to add resistors to clear the headlight error message, only popped up on the left side once, but a couple of times on the right, weird I know. But the light output is great. They are a direct fit, only ones I've found. At least one other purchased the same, not sure if they needed the resistors as well. I contacted the seller and he is sending them to me, but I've installed a set I had on some HID's I had planned to install, just difficult to get my fingers in there holding the HID and adapter together.....lol Fingers don't move like they used to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172739918478?ul_noapp=true

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

Looking at those bulbs, it looks like they tried to put the drivers and heatsink INSIDE the bulb socket which is moving the center of focus from the LED emitters. When I see these LEDs without external heatsinks, they are usually garbage. Also, you want to get something where the LED emmitters are at the same depth as the filament on the halogens. This way, the reflector and housing can try to project the light down the road the same way and not get tons of light scattering and blinding oncoming drivers. Check through the forums here to see what others have used successfully and liked for your vehicle.

As far as the lumens you see advertised... many "china" or knock-off-brands advertise the maximum lumens output potential of the driver and/or diode. The realistic lumen output is less and not ALL of that will make it down the road. Look for reputable brands or reviews with your vehicle to see what will actually work well. User @ratledge has done some testing on the santa fe and you can find some of his findings: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-20...luxbeam-x-vs-hikari-led-kits.html#post5428889

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I can save you the trouble. These won't fit. The adapter needed for the Tucson is unique. Some have been able to modify the adapter and make it work. The adapter is really for HID's.

I purchased these and they work great. I did have to add resistors to clear the headlight error message, only popped up on the left side once, but a couple of times on the right, weird I know. But the light output is great. They are a direct fit, only ones I've found. At least one other purchased the same, not sure if they needed the resistors as well. I contacted the seller and he is sending them to me, but I've installed a set I had on some HID's I had planned to install, just difficult to get my fingers in there holding the HID and adapter together.....lol Fingers don't move like they used to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172739918478?ul_noapp=true
I already know about this one but it's so so expensive! Also I did have LED adapter and LED bulb fit but dust cap doesn't cover so I got water moisture in my left headight so I had to took out take to Hyundai to replace as warranty after that I don't do that again until I find solution problem with dust cap cover again.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I already know about this one but it's so so expensive! Also I did have LED adapter and LED bulb fit but dust cap doesn't cover so I got water moisture in my left headight so I had to took out take to Hyundai to replace as warranty after that I don't do that again until I find solution problem with dust cap cover again.

If you got moisture in the housing, it definitely didn't seal good. I've been running without the dust caps and no issues. Haven't used dust caps on my Elantra for years.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sorry my friend, but at $28 you can be pretty sure they are garbage. You might get away with using them in the high beams, for short periods of time. But for an essential light you'd better shell out for quality LED bulbs or just put a pair of Philips XtremeVision (although you'll need to replace them sooner than OEM bulbs)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You won't see bulbs produced with 150lm/w LEDs because they are expensive. So, all the hyped up ratings are LIES and simply MARKETING to convince you to buy theirs over others. Most brands won't even give you the LED brand, bin, and capability... meaning they know they are liars and don't want you to find out. The lumen/watt is also meaningless when it does NOT take into account the driver/transformer or cooling fans that tend to be inefficient. A 10w LED might waste another 10w in the driver circuit and another 10w with the fan, and sure isn't too efficient regardless of the efficacy of the LED.

LED bulbs haven't progressed far enough to plug/play replace halogen headlights. The LED headlights needs to be designed from the start for the type of LED being used. HID is the same but the aftermarket has had more time with trying to meet so-called lighting requirements from SAE/DOT/FMVSS/ECE, and still don't close when it comes to plug/play replacement of halogens.

My recommendations for LED bulbs is limited to interior bulbs, and exterior bulbs that aren't too critical, like markers and license plates. LED replacements from several major brands are available for brake lights and fog(driving) driving lights, reverse lights, turn signals... etc. Some of the lighting requirements, like plates/reverse/... are pathetic so I don't care if your bulb is twice or 10x as bright, behind the factory dispersal lens/reflectors. Headlights shouldn't be changed over to another technology unless removed from a salvage yard from an upgraded version/equivalent of a similar vehicle, and things like height/weight of different vehicles means the housing now loses any capabilities/certifications it had form the donor vehicle.

Reverse bulb standards are there to let others know that you are in reverse. They don't provide you with ANY usable lighting for the driver. License plate bulbs are there to allow getstapoclowns to identify you. So many marker bulbs around here are blown out(no state safety inspections in this free state). No-one uses turn signals around here so that isn't much of an issue if you install an LED replacement, obviously if of the correct color and output(or greater output).

In case you are impressed by internet posted pictures of garage door cut-offs, or by a picture of how bright/cool the bulb looks in the housing, these aren't a SAE/DOT/FMVSS/ECE measurement and is USELESS for lighting comparisons.

If you have halogen headlights, there are plenty of halogen replacement bulbs in every color/kelvin/output that will work perfectly with the vehicle.

Reactions: kopetdag

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry my friend, but at $28 you can be pretty sure they are garbage. You might get away with using them in the high beams, for short periods of time. But for an essential light you'd better shell out for quality LED bulbs or just put a pair of Philips XtremeVision (although you'll need to replace them sooner than OEM bulbs)
Yup, you get what you pay for definitely applies. Currently using XtremeVision 130s for lows and am satisfied with performance over stock, significantly brighter and greater distance. Color still yellow as expected, but that wasn't the goal.

However I've also pulled the trigger on the same Korean LED set mentioned/installed by solman and another member. Why? They have quality chips and built in adapters specifically for the Tucson US/Cala style low beam H7 housing. Light output is reported excellent over halogen with no glare issues, plus of course pure white color. Good enough for me.
Others have installed previous LEDs with good output as well, albeit with greater effort finding/making adapters.
I was previously very cautious too, drop in LEDs just aren't as good as OEM setups for reasons hashed to death, but add up all the above and I'm convinced it's time I took the plunge. Going to take several weeks before I eventually get them but I'll report my results in the 'Direct Fit LEDs' thread when I do.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You won't see bulbs produced with 150lm/w LEDs because they are expensive. So, all the hyped up ratings are LIES and simply MARKETING to convince you to buy theirs over others. Most brands won't even give you the LED brand, bin, and capability... meaning they know they are liars and don't want you to find out. The lumen/watt is also meaningless when it does NOT take into account the driver/transformer or cooling fans that tend to be inefficient. A 10w LED might waste another 10w in the driver circuit and another 10w with the fan, and sure isn't too efficient regardless of the efficacy of the LED.

LED bulbs haven't progressed far enough to plug/play replace halogen headlights. The LED headlights needs to be designed from the start for the type of LED being used. HID is the same but the aftermarket has had more time with trying to meet so-called lighting requirements from SAE/DOT/FMVSS/ECE, and still don't close when it comes to plug/play replacement of halogens.

My recommendations for LED bulbs is limited to interior bulbs, and exterior bulbs that aren't too critical, like markers and license plates. LED replacements from several major brands are available for brake lights and fog(driving) driving lights, reverse lights, turn signals... etc. Some of the lighting requirements, like plates/reverse/... are pathetic so I don't care if your bulb is twice or 10x as bright, behind the factory dispersal lens/reflectors. Headlights shouldn't be changed over to another technology unless removed from a salvage yard from an upgraded version/equivalent of a similar vehicle, and things like height/weight of different vehicles means the housing now loses any capabilities/certifications it had form the donor vehicle.

Reverse bulb standards are there to let others know that you are in reverse. They don't provide you with ANY usable lighting for the driver. License plate bulbs are there to allow getstapoclowns to identify you. So many marker bulbs around here are blown out(no state safety inspections in this free state). No-one uses turn signals around here so that isn't much of an issue if you install an LED replacement, obviously if of the correct color and output(or greater output).

In case you are impressed by internet posted pictures of garage door cut-offs, or by a picture of how bright/cool the bulb looks in the housing, these aren't a SAE/DOT/FMVSS/ECE measurement and is USELESS for lighting comparisons.

If you have halogen headlights, there are plenty of halogen replacement bulbs in every color/kelvin/output that will work perfectly with the vehicle.

I agreed I felt like they are lair to customer to buy it and hard to trust which company is best or the worst experience. I had good LED headlights on my previous Kia Soul but unfortunate not fit my Tucson headlight anymore, I will deal with halogen bulb but still some of them halogen blow too short because my dad bought those for his VW Passat and only last for few months, those lights came from China so I don't want same thing happen with him. I lives in busy area in Charlotte, North Carolina and I used LED blinker on my Tucson and it's very sturdy and bright and withdraw less. I am using signal every signal turn when cars are behind me or cross from me opposite direction. Anyway, I work outside of city which is very dark in early morning and I got plethora deer or small wild animals cross the streets. So I want make see easier for me.

I guess only way I can get headlights from limited trim and my concern is HID or LED with bend lights might not work on my Night Edition since ECM (Engine Computer Module) little bit different or maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
207 Posts
However I've also pulled the trigger on the same Korean LED set mentioned/installed by solman and another member. Why? They have quality chips and built in adapters specifically for the Tucson US/Cala style low beam H7 housing.
Can I request you install one in the high beams and report over the fit and maybe snap a picture with LED in one high beam and OEM in the other (it's pretty hard to take separare OEM/LED comparison photos unless you are using a DSLR camera with fixed exposure/shutter/aperture so that the brightness can actually be compared)

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Can I request you install one in the high beams and report over the fit and maybe snap a picture with LED in one high beam and OEM in the other (it's pretty hard to take separare OEM/LED comparison photos unless you are using a DSLR camera with fixed exposure/shutter/aperture so that the brightness can actually be compared)

Although both the lo and hi beam in the Tucson take an H7, the lo side has a unique adapter needed to work. This Korean based LED had the adapter built in, will not work in a regular H7 socket.

Here is a shot of the lo side, one LED and one halogen.

Attachments

Reactions: conqr

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yes, maybe I didn't make it clear. I have LEDs for the low beams (factory fitted), and would have liked to maybe change my high beams to LED as well so that I don't have two colors when I use them (it's not that often, I don't usually drive at night).

The problems with LED high beams, though, is the ones I've seen until now (on other cars, usually retrofitted H4) have really poor performance compared to halogen. Maybe they don't emit the light all around as normal filament bulbs do, and as such not all the light gets where it should, maybe it's just the nature of the color (I always found filament torches to have a more pleasant light than LED torches, might be because of the poor Color Reproduction Index of cheaper/older LEDs, but I wouldn't want to have nice white lights but not be able to see.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not a standard H7 base

As indicated though, this is not just a standard H7 base LED, it has a built in adapter specifically for the Tucson low beam socket:

Tucson 2016+ LED for Halogen low beam

As such it physically cannot fit the high beam housing at all.

Look around for other posts about high beam replacement. The key is finding the right LED design to both sit in the correct spot AND emit light against the reflector in such a way that replicates an H7 filament in this particular housing.
Personally I fall in the camp that will stick with just decent halogen highs of the preferred color given how rarely they're used for actual driving.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yes, maybe I didn't make it clear. I have LEDs for the low beams (factory fitted), and would have liked to maybe change my high beams to LED as well so that I don't have two colors when I use them (it's not that often, I don't usually drive at night).

The problems with LED high beams, though, is the ones I've seen until now (on other cars, usually retrofitted H4) have really poor performance compared to halogen. Maybe they don't emit the light all around as normal filament bulbs do, and as such not all the light gets where it should, maybe it's just the nature of the color (I always found filament torches to have a more pleasant light than LED torches, might be because of the poor Color Reproduction Index of cheaper/older LEDs, but I wouldn't want to have nice white lights but not be able to see.
You say that you don't use high beams often...
I don't use them either. Probably turned them on for less than a minute since 2016. I replaced the stock bulbs with these Philips and the color is pretty close to my 6000K HIDs

Philips - Diamond Vision H7 Halogen HID Bulbs (Pair)

·
Registered
284 Posts
You say that you don't use high beams often...
I don't use them either. Probably turned them on for less than a minute since 2016. I replaced the stock bulbs with these Philips and the color is pretty close to my 6000K HIDs

Philips - Diamond Vision H7 Halogen HID Bulbs (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JZKBVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_Jcv1AbNKJQ5SY

I'd settled on these too just for looks but haven't bought them yet. How are they as actual high beams? Any real usable light output or are they just nice to look at? Great color at least on Bulbfacts:

Bulbfacts Halogen Chart

1 - 20 of 21 Posts