Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to recall having read some people on this forum getting some quotes for aftermarket leather. I have an SE and am interested in replacing my upholstery. Would anyone who has investigated the option care to share where and how much this would cost? I so far have only been able to find katzkins.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
QUOTE (pahn @ Oct 23 2010, 01:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365669
I seem to recall having read some people on this forum getting some quotes for aftermarket leather. I have an SE and am interested in replacing my upholstery. Would anyone who has investigated the option care to share where and how much this would cost? I so far have only been able to find katzkins.

Thanks...

I would investigate local trim shops. My mom had this done through her (California) dealership when she bought her then-new '07 Camry, but they basically outsourced it to an external specialty shop and took their cut. I was extremely skeptical after I heard they were going to have her existing seats re-skinned rather than swapping in factory leather seats (which was initially what I had assumed what they were going to do), but I have to say the new "custom" leather seats were and are much, much nicer than the factory leather seats. Butter soft, beautiful texture, perfect stitching and oh so comfy. In order to get factory leather on her car she would have had to spend around $5000 to get the V6 version, but didnt want to do that because of gas mileage. So she just bought the base 4cyl car and had the seats done, got the 4cyl mileage, and still saved $3500.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (pahn @ Oct 23 2010, 01:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365669

Thanks...

I got quotes from dealers and from custom shops. The quotes from custom shops we MUCH less expensive. The dealer quotes me like $5000 for leather seating surfaces. Custom shop using katzskin quoted me $1900 for REAL leather and seatwarmers! Couldn't beat that deal. I jumped on it and could not be more satisfied with the leather in the car.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
QUOTE (pahn @ Oct 23 2010, 10:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365669

Thanks...
I have the Katzkins in my GLS. I am VERY happy with them. The factory leather is no better than fair quality OEM Leather / Vinyl hybrid. The Katzkins are genuine leather, thicker, and much softer. As the seats are used, the leather sort of breaks-in, like a good leather chair in your living room. I think they are a very good investment.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
And do not forget about the SRS Side air bags in the side of the driver and passenger seats... are the aftermarket coverings built to tear away when the bag wants to inflate out away from the front seat ?? If not, you will basically having the effect of wrapping rope around the seat bag and bag cannot inflate properly because it is trapped inside the seat covering..

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 24 2010, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=365902
And do not forget about the SRS Side air bags in the side of the driver and passenger seats... are the aftermarket coverings built to tear away when the bag wants to inflate out away from the front seat ?? If not, you will basically having the effect of wrapping rope around the seat bag and bag cannot inflate properly because it is trapped inside the seat covering..
There is no leather made out there that will stop an airbag from deploying. Remember airbags deploy through thicker materials like the material on the dash, they are pretty forceful.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (eyecue @ Oct 25 2010, 09:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366105
There is no leather made out there that will stop an airbag from deploying. Remember airbags deploy through thicker materials like the material on the dash, they are pretty forceful.
ELECTRICAL
05-90-009
AUGUST, 2005
ALL

SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS

DESCRIPTION:
Hyundai vehicles are equipped with side impact air bags installed in both the driver side and passenger side front seats. Any modification(s) of the seats may prevent proper operation of the side impact air bags when they are intended to deploy in a collision and can result in serious injury or death.

To ensure proper operation of the side impact air bags:

• Do not install any accessory seat covers.

• Do not reupholster the seat backs with after-market upholstery (such as a leather kit).

• Do not repair damaged upholstery without using Hyundai Genuine Parts.

Refer to the appropriate Service Manual and/or Owner’s Manual for additional
information on the Supplemental Restraint System.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 25 2010, 09:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366111
ELECTRICAL
05-90-009
AUGUST, 2005
ALL

SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS

DESCRIPTION:
Hyundai vehicles are equipped with side impact air bags installed in both the driver side and passenger side front seats. Any modification(s) of the seats may prevent proper operation of the side impact air bags when they are intended to deploy in a collision and can result in serious injury or death.

To ensure proper operation of the side impact air bags:

• Do not install any accessory seat covers.

• Do not reupholster the seat backs with after-market upholstery (such as a leather kit).

• Do not repair damaged upholstery without using Hyundai Genuine Parts. (AKA DON'T MAKE US MORE MONEY)

Refer to the appropriate Service Manual and/or Owner’s Manual for additional
information on the Supplemental Restraint System.
I've seen airbags deploy out of seat covers, I've seen airbaigs deploy with custom dashs so words do not out do experience my friend! Those are things the manufacturer have to say to cover their ****. Been in the business for 15 years, seen a lot of wrecked cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts