Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Those don't look like they'd fit or like they're exceedingly well made. We don't get an awful lot of sunshine here but I saw a Civic today with aftermarket taillights that were so hazed over that you could barely see them and I've never seen an OEM taillight lens haze. Headlights? Yes. But not a taillight. I can't imagine the lenses on either head or taillighs would last much more than a year or two in Florida.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, they're not tinted on the lights. Thanks stresstest.

So you wouldn't buy them? And there are many other items like these on eBay for around the same price. Thanks, lovemysantafe.

·
Banned
998 Posts
in short - you get what you pay for.
Do not expect 250 USD headlights to outperform 800 USD OEM.

If you were to use a good projector (cost 100+), good HID lamp and ballast (100+), halos, wiring, and whatnot you are facing cost of at least 700 including labor.

So sure, go, buy them and take good shots so that others will know if those headlights are worth anything.

Remember one thing - the first consideration in the car is safety. Then we can talk how nice it looks...

Actually, taillights don't NEED to be DOT stamped (read the law a few times), but headlights should be if you want to be safe.
Sure, try it with insurance company...
Headlights should be? They MUST be approved. Otherwise your car will not pass any safety inspection (assuming inspector will check it)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I'll be investing in the ones everyone else has. Don't wanna put more work in than I have to. I've read the laws several times, and as PLP says it is needed to pass safety inspection.

·
Banned
998 Posts
New car no need inspect.
My friend take my car for drive test no inspect at all. Lol
Depends on state and country (not county). If brand new one many times it is assumed it will be good for 3 years, but...

Looks like I'll be investing in the ones everyone else has. Don't wanna put more work in than I have to. I've read the laws several times, and as PLP says it is needed to pass safety inspection.
It is not so bad with those tests. I guess, if you have them aimed correctly and nothing really stands out like green corner lights or pink HIDs, you should be fine.
I highly doubt any inspector would be looking for DOT certificate stamp or such.

What I did with mine was retro into aftermarket headlight assembly that has all the needed stamps. BUT one who has seen a few HD Elantras will know right away those are not "regular" lights so certificates on the glass might not be enough...

Enough to say - I am not trying to discourage anyone, but I want to bring the problem up so that it is not a surprise later on. It is up to you what you will do. I find non-HID projector based headlights equipped with HID and properly aimed much better/safer option than old, hazy, crooked halogen headlights.

·
Registered
918 Posts
That's what I meant with "should be to be safe." To be safe with insurance/inspection, should have the DOT mark. With tail lights, most states (if not all) conform the the national regulation which states that tail lights may be marked with DOT stamp/certification. << Key word is MAY. Not must/required. Meaning that it is optional.

I have not yet once had an inspector (different inspectors, I have no hookup) try me for the DOT not being there. At least in Seattle.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I have not yet once had an inspector (different inspectors, I have no hookup) try me for the DOT not being there. At least in Seattle.
Neither have I. Although, it is hard to compare Poland to USA...
Anyway, the yearly inspection is very detailed. Brakes (measure force), shock absorbers (a machine would shake each wheel and measure rebounce), all lights including including aim of headlights, suspension parts plus steering, body for damage, engine for fluid leaks, emission test of course, glass for cracks and a few more.

However, nobody ever looked on the certificates on lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts