Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK- I've read the giant thread in the Santa Fe forum and there are a few threads in the VW forum I'm hoping for some help.

Thinking of getting:

WD6017 from Waywell http://www.szwaywell.com/prod_dtl.asp?id=524

QL-SNT317 from http://www.autodvdgps.com/hyundai-sonata-2...zone-p-664.html

W2-D769Y from http://www.witson.com/view_pro.php?id=1514

Please help with my questions if you can! Thanks :)

1. Anyone know if the units above uses a standard usb/mini-usb cable to attach ipod or is it a proprietary cable? Some of the guys in the VW forums state its a proprietary cable and its hard or impossible to replace.
2. The witson unit looks wrong- no curved sides. Anyone order a different unit?
3. The AutoDVDgps unit looks the nicest to me but I have found the least information on it. Any opinions?

If anyone can help answer the 3 questions above- thanks. Anyone that can offer general tips/review on any unit above- please include thoughts on the following if possible:

-bluetooth quality
-gps antenna strength/placement
-gps software and customizations (seems like everyone loves igo8)
-can anyone confirm that iphone controls will work if connected to unit (I hate having to go through non-apple menus on the head unit- i would rather control songs, etc. directly using the ipod).
-overall sound quality compared to stock radio.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MiamiLX-

Not sure if you're trying to be helpful- but your link seems to take me to a generic search for "GPS" in the sonata forum. Most if not all of the posts are completely off point. They are about portable GPS units, GPS mounts, in-dash GPS installations in 06-08 Sonatas, and most importantly- does not discuss any of the 3 specific units I'm asking about.

So the posts you're pointing me to, do not an any way, come close to answering any of my questions in the original thread. If you were trying to say I should search the posts before posting- you should just say so. If you are trying to provide good info- you should provide better info than whats in your post.

I tried to make my question extremely specific by giving my car type and the specific models I'm looking at. If you didn't like the question- then just don't answer it at all.

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
:eek:fftopic: Hey as far as I'm concerned this is an OFF TOPIC Electronics post that belongs in the Car Audio Video & Electronics Sub forum.

I would like to see any off topic posts be placed in the proper section. While I tried to lead you to some more GPS posts,

I realize you are new. No need for the 'tude dude. :liebe011:

·
Registered
193 Posts
QUOTE (bksonata911 @ Apr 17 2010, 10:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314239
OK- I've read the giant thread in the Santa Fe forum and there are a few threads in the VW forum I'm hoping for some help.

Thinking of getting:

WD6017 from Waywell http://www.szwaywell.com/prod_dtl.asp?id=524

QL-SNT317 from http://www.autodvdgps.com/hyundai-sonata-2...zone-p-664.html

W2-D769Y from http://www.witson.com/view_pro.php?id=1514

Please help with my questions if you can! Thanks :)

1. Anyone know if the units above uses a standard usb/mini-usb cable to attach ipod or is it a proprietary cable? Some of the guys in the VW forums state its a proprietary cable and its hard or impossible to replace.
2. The witson unit looks wrong- no curved sides. Anyone order a different unit?
3. The AutoDVDgps unit looks the nicest to me but I have found the least information on it. Any opinions?

If anyone can help answer the 3 questions above- thanks. Anyone that can offer general tips/review on any unit above- please include thoughts on the following if possible:

-bluetooth quality
-gps antenna strength/placement
-gps software and customizations (seems like everyone loves igo8)
-can anyone confirm that iphone controls will work if connected to unit (I hate having to go through non-apple menus on the head unit- i would rather control songs, etc. directly using the ipod).
-overall sound quality compared to stock radio.

Thanks!
not sure how much will it help you but...
W2-D769Y - standard 2 din unit - you will need a dash bord kit for it, the other two are pretty much the same unit - as far as i know both are on autodvdgps web - one is over 300, other one over 400$ - its just a matter of screen resolution as far as i see, and the lower resolution is not too impressive - screen is not anti glare - full sun = bye bye picture.
Bt- works good - calls + music over it,
Gps antenna - wire might be too short to get it all the way in the back of your car so make sure its long enough before you buy the unit or place it in the front on the dash - i think someone post pictures on this forum how he did that,
gps soft - you can do anything you want with it - if you look around you will probably find how to change not only the gps but GUI too,
as far as ipod don't know for sure but i would shoot for non apple menu,
overall sound quality = if you have infinity sound it ill probably be worse, if you don't have infinity you will probably have little better sound.
Most of this units have RDS - its a plus - you can see name of the radio station plus song and artist
before you buy it make sure it will fit your dash - if you have limited sonata with automatic a/c your dash opening is not the same as the one with manual controls and when you ask those people will it fit your dash they will tell you it will for sure cause they want to sell the product - my advice is send them the picture of your dash or ask them to send you picture of installed unit before you buy it

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ Apr 18 2010, 02:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314257
:eek:fftopic: Hey as far as I'm concerned this is an OFF TOPIC Electronics post that belongs in the Car Audio Video & Electronics Sub forum.
This post is NOT the slightest bit off topic. The OP has a 2009 sonata and is asking questions regarding aftermarket nav systems that are made for the 2009-2010 sonata model. These are not generic one size fits all nav units or a garmin, they are specifically molded for the 09-10 sonata dash. Taking that into consideration, this post certainly belongs here.

*bksonata911, sorry for actually taking your thread off topic.

*Edit:*
I was asked nicely to edit my original post as some of my statements may have come across a bit harsh. Since I don't want to get this thread locked, nor do I want to start a fight, I willingly complied. I just wanted to get my point across and that's that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all...I appreciate the replies. I emailed waywell and the response has been prompt but I hope that the autodvdgps unit is just as good. I think that unit looks a lot better...but i'm thinking that the inards are actually the same as the waywell. I sent the same list of questions to autodvdgps and I'm waiting for a reply. I'm kind of worried about playing music while the GPS nav is on. I hear the units are kind of weird that the music screen stays on until you have to actually change directions. We'll see.

I'll keep everyone posted. Hopefully after I get everything installed I can post pics.

FYI- I'm told that the waywell unit works with the steering wheel controls and seems like the vw owners love the vw unit (which again- I think must have the same insides but just different fit). I'm also a VW owner so I'm used to the owner's community. Seems like the Hyundai online community is kind of new (by definition since Hyundai as a brand is "newer" to the US). I don't need a pass from a forum member because I'm new because I'm posting this in the Sonata forum- and not somewhere else- since I'm talking about my Sonata. Anyway, thanks to the others for your support.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the questions sent about the AutoDVDgps unit:

1. I have a Hyundai Sonata 2009 (U.S.) - is this the right model? 2. Do you sell the wiring harness for Hyundai Sontata for easy installation? 3. Do you sell the igo8 maps for North America? 4. I want to use my iphone with the unit- but I want to make sure that I can use the iphone controls and not the radio controls. 5. Steering wheel controls - will they work? 6. Is the USB connection a standard USB? I do not want to use a special cable. If I lose the original I would like to replace with a generic cable if possible. Will it charge the iphone 3g while connected? 7. Can you play iphone 3g or play music and navigation at that same time? Specifically- can you turn on music- then turn on navigation- and leave the navigation screen on? 8. When a phone call comes in- does the sound automatically stop? 9. How much is the unit with shipping to New York?

Here are the replies:

1. there are pic of dimention on the website. if they are the same it can used in ur car.
2. all the harness that u need for installation are included. so you don't need to buy them.
3. yes, we have map for US
iPod control & CDC port & RDS is unavailable now, they will be available in the near future (about 1 month) that means what we have now doesn't have ipod control function.

5.yes, it supports the steeing wheel control
6. the usb port is usb2.0
7. no it can't
8.yes.
9. the cheapest is to send it via DHL at $55.60

Honestly- not the best response. I think I'm going with the Waywell unit. Their response was better and it has some of the features I"m looking for. I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Adding my $0.02

09 interior was redesigned and there is a neat little storage cubby next to the shifter that perfectly houses a 4.3" GPS device. I would HIGHLY recommend looking at a Garmin 755T/765T/775T/785T unit, because it is the ONLY line of portable GPS models that has the following:

1. Powered Dock
2. External Microphone Input for Handsfree (which basically makes the BT usable)
3. External GPS Antenna Connector
4. Audio Out
5. 765T also has lifetime traffic with an external TMS antenna input.

You can get everything needed for about $225 - $250.

You can have the audio out to the line in of your stock stereo, and have the navigation/BT audio play through the stereo. You can also have the GPS hidden when not in use, thus preventing theft attempt. You can take the GPS unit with you without touching the wiring/cables (except if you have an external GPS antenna). It will be very close to stock looking install it will allow you to keep the stock stereo and use the steering wheel control. Think about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Spex.

I was actually thinking of doing that after I saw original writeup (I forgot the author- but I assume it was you)? I'm still thinking about it but theres really one reason why I'm leaning against it- the Iphone integration with the original stock radio is really poor. If it weren't for that, I would definitely go your route- and I'm still considering it- I remember the whole idea sounded really cool to me.

I figure changing out a radio is pretty simple and paying for the radio is not that much expensive than buying all the materials you just talked about- and having a radio with better sound quality than stock with better iphone integration really appeals to me.

If I decide to go your route- I will also post pics- I really think your install is one of the most original ideas I've heard in a while.

·
Registered
193 Posts
if you deel like you can look around on korean market - they actualy have a dash adapter to convert that small storage in to 4.3 " gps holder that makes it look stock

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
bksonata911 and spex, I like the way you've thought it through. I hope your decision works better than the Pioneer or Dual in-dash I had. I've settled on my Garmin and a (very different) Pioneer head unit. There are a lot of things to consider and all too often the decision is based on looks alone. My Garmin sometimes gets confused (I named it "Miss Directions") but the morning that **** Pioneer in-dash routed me in a 5-mile loop with a double-back instead of continuing 1/4 mile down the road to the next on-ramp, the morning I had a mid-term, that was the last straw. The Dual's software was written by the same vendor. :bwekk:

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (bksonata911 @ Apr 19 2010, 06:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314713
Thanks Spex.

I was actually thinking of doing that after I saw original writeup (I forgot the author- but I assume it was you)? I'm still thinking about it but theres really one reason why I'm leaning against it- the Iphone integration with the original stock radio is really poor. If it weren't for that, I would definitely go your route- and I'm still considering it- I remember the whole idea sounded really cool to me.

I figure changing out a radio is pretty simple and paying for the radio is not that much expensive than buying all the materials you just talked about- and having a radio with better sound quality than stock with better iphone integration really appeals to me.

If I decide to go your route- I will also post pics- I really think your install is one of the most original ideas I've heard in a while.
I guess music/iPod is the differentiating factor - I rarely listen to choice music (anything other that what's on FM), and 99% of the time, NPR does okay for me. But I can totally understand the appeal of full-featured aftermarket units.

·
Registered
261 Posts
QUOTE (Dennis the Mennis @ Apr 19 2010, 08:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314760
bksonata911 and spex, I like the way you've thought it through. I hope your decision works better than the Pioneer or Dual in-dash I had. I've settled on my Garmin and a (very different) Pioneer head unit. There are a lot of things to consider and all too often the decision is based on looks alone. My Garmin sometimes gets confused (I named it "Miss Directions") but the morning that **** Pioneer in-dash routed me in a 5-mile loop with a double-back instead of continuing 1/4 mile down the road to the next on-ramp, the morning I had a mid-term, that was the last straw. The Dual's software was written by the same vendor. :bwekk:

That's funny!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
QUOTE (spex @ Apr 19 2010, 09:20 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314772
That's funny!!

Hello Spex,

I was reading this post and I hope this might help out a bit. This is the headunit I went with. So far I have traveled from TN to Philly, PA and down to New Port News, VA without any issues. In fact the Nav system took me right to the front steps of all the address I inputed into the Nav. I am very happy with all it's features it has to offer. It's the Pioneer AVIC-X910BT and I got it for $499.00 at Electronic Express.

[attachment=17499:SDC10113.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (mojakarykatura @ Apr 19 2010, 07:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314720
if you deel like you can look around on korean market - they actualy have a dash adapter to convert that small storage in to 4.3 " gps holder that makes it look stock

Could you provide a web link to this item? or the store you are referring to?

First time I hear about it and it sounds interesting as I have already a 4.3 GPS.
Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts

sorry for quality but i need to run to work and thats the only one i found if i remember correct it comes with sd card adapter/extender so there is no need to pull unit out in case you need update your maps

1 - 20 of 43 Posts