Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2,258 Posts
thats a lot of money for a Chinese knockoff. they look nice, but i am weary. id rather have a real name brand ie; pioneer, sony, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Depends of the model. On mine the unit comes with an external microphone. The installer tried to connect the existing one but "did not work" and it was faster for him to just use the one which comes with the unit placed on the left side. It works well and the mike itself is black and hardly visible. The steering wheels controls works (the system comes with a CAN bus adapter, but I was lucky to find on internet a thread with the code to enter in the factory settings where I could change the bus type. The documentation does not mention the codes, and the seller did not know about it.
If you don't want to play with the unit chose a Windows CE based one (they are cheaper, more stabile but you will not be able to add any apps on it). If you chose an Android one be prepared to play with it, chose one only if you are pretty familiar with the Android OS, and with different navigation programs out there. Also if you chose an Android one be sure is "pure Android" there are some units which boots in CE and start Android as an app. DO NOT BUY ONE OF THIS! If the Android runs as an app you will not be able to use the radio or player at the same time with your navigation program (if running in Android). The CE or pure Android can run the radio and Navi program at the same time with overlapping sound.
You will lose XM radio (if you use it) no Chinese unit has one (DRM).
Before buying, do your search, there are a bunch of units with the proper face plate and cables for Santa Fe, but some are older and use low performance hardware.
Get also a backup camera most units support them (they have an AV input), I found one on eBay custom for Santa Fe mounts in the place of the license light (you keep the light also) is waterproof and has a Sony CCD. Works pretty good. The unit may come with a "free" camera, do yourself a favor and get another one, the ones they send you are not very good and not very nice to mount they are general cams.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Going to a brand name is complicated you can not just plug in a 2 DIN unit you need a custom face plate (probably somebody makes those also, did not need one). But you will get in the price ranges higher than $1500 (plus installation). If you want Android you are very limited check Pioneer.In that case better use one of the two retrofitting solutions (see the forum) there are two companies which will retrofit your existing radio (including BT and XM) and you get also Navi with an 8" screen. Did not use them, but I'm sure you will get cheaper than trying to integrate a brand name system with a custom face plate and mount.

The Chinese units are plug and play, you could install it yourself if you have some basic skills (I did not do it because I had no idea how I can route the camera cable from back of the car, never did any installation in a car , I'm not used to remove panels) but the unit itself was straight forward, comes with a harness to plug in the existing connectors). I posted in another thread more thoughts about the unit I use, search for it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
These Chinese units only support Korean market manufactured units. They do not support BlueLink, XM Radio and most don't come with USA maps. Be careful!

Talk to Charles at CompassNav if you want a unit that supports Hyundai/KIA Georgia manufactured units.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hello,

Has anyone installed any of the aftermarket GPS radios?
What happens to the built in car bluetooth (controlled from the wheel?) and ceiling mic... does it get replaced with the radio's???

as found here:
2013 santa fe gps | eBay

thanks

antoniobb

We at UNAVI USA do have an option for the 2013+ Santa fe that retains all of the OEM features such as (XM, Bluetooth, Steering Wheel Controls, USB Ports etc. etc.) We have options for both OEM Equipped Backup Camera and also with out the OEM Backup Camera.

You can read more about our Santa Fe Navigation Systems HERE

·
Registered
35 Posts
These Chinese units only support Korean market manufactured units. They do not support BlueLink, XM Radio and most don't come with USA maps. Be careful!

Talk to Charles at CompassNav if you want a unit that supports Hyundai/KIA Georgia manufactured units.
Not exactly (well, depends, partly true :) ). You can mount a Chinese unit in ANY Santa Fe, the hardware connectors are the same, there is no difference between Korean and US cars.

But it's true, you lose XM radio (as this is a paid service with build in DRM, the Chinese units will not integrate one) and BlueLink (if your car has this).

What is NOT affected:

- Your AC unit. On Santa Fe is totally independent of the radio so nothing is changed.
- Your parking sensors. Again, totally independent of radio unit.
- Any steering wheel controls on the right side (not related with the radio or BT). The radio related controls (and phone), "should work" but like I said you may need access to "hidden" settings on your unit and proper CAN bus. If the unit is a "Santa Fe" kit should include this, if you buy a brand name "2 DIN" unit + a separate face plate, you will need also a separate steering wheel CAN bus module ( as you see the brand name are getting higher and higher in price by the time you will have that Pioneer installed you paid more than 2K most likely).

If you buy a Windows CE one you will get most likely IGO Primo navigation with US/Canada maps (double check with the seller, and make sure is included. You could install a software by yourself even on a WinCE unit but you should learn how (some "hacking" knowledge required). However you will have to learn how to update the maps in the future by yourself, most likely you will not be able to connect with the paid service.

If you buy an Android unit you may not get ANY Navigation installed. You will need to install (buy) your own navi software (there are a few for Android) but like I said you should be familiar already with Android as you may need to side load the software. Most units have access to Google Play but some apps are shown as not available for the unit.(the hardware is not recognized).Some units will include IGO Primo for Android, with proper maps but again you will need to update the maps in the future by yourself. If you buy and install yourself a software like Sygic you will be able to update the maps from Play in the future.

Also, most units have resistive screens (single touch), but a few models (Android only) have capacitive screen (multi touch,more sensitive). Resolution is 800x480 (same as OEM system) but Android based higher resolution are coming (not available yet as a kit for Santa Fe only as a general 2 DIN units). The automotive audio/navi systems are following the tablet/phone market, where you can buy a same (or higher) performance Chinese unit (comparing with brands) at a much lower cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a note to what I said. An Android unit may come with Google Navi software installed (it's free anyway), but this is not what you want, probably. Google Navi requires a data connection to work , and even if you have a 3G stick which works with your unit is not what you want, I think. You need an independent Navi software which has all the maps stored locally like a PND. Software like IGo Primo works without any data connection. If you have one you will get additional features like real time traffic or use of Google search, but the software has self contained maps and pois without any data connection. You don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting for a phone signal to download your maps, I think :)

·
Registered
30 Posts

Hi.
How much is the CompassNav unit?, i saw the videos and it is amaizing, and free updates, as per them.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hi drfabt and thanks for your call today.

Have yourself a nice trip back him and talk to you again soon.

If any other question, the door is always open ;)

Thanks a lot!

QUOTE=drfabt;2151098]Hi.
How much is the CompassNav unit?, i saw the videos and it is amaizing, and free updates, as per them.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
544 Posts
CompassNav makes a great product, but the $())+ price tag is a bit steep considering there is no audio performance gain. It is a better upgrade than buying the OEM unit which is probably not as good and costs quite a bit more.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just spoke to the dealer about installing a GPS in my 2014 SFS. They want 1,500.00 installed. They use a Co. that installs the IGO Primo Nav. System. I called the Co. to find out how it compares the the OEM and they said it is from Korea and is exactly the same if not better. Nothing is Lost.It will use your radio.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Recently bought this unit from Ali Express: Free shiping Android 4.0 car dvd player for Hyundai IX45 2013/ Santa Fe 2013 with GPS+IPOD+BT+ATV+Radio+AUX IN+3G+WIFI+ map card-in Car DVD from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Here's what it looks like mid-install: http://i.imgur.com/WOKPYg0.jpg?1

Works pretty well for the amount I paid. The mic for bluetooth sucks though, but I don't do much calling in the car so don't care about that. Has a micro sd slot, ipod connector, gps works, haven't installed rear camera to it yet, waiting for warmer weather. Steering wheel controls all work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a similar unit installed including the backup camera and everything worked perfectly except the bluetooth mic. I am hoping that there is a way to connecting into the existing mic in the ceiling. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
any info on install of a pioneer or jvc dvd, gps unit? not ready yet but have been thinking of it. something like an Avic. will steering controls work and blue tooth mic still work. thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
The OEM NAV UNIT SUCKS CRAP THEY COME PRE INSTALLED AND REQUIRE AN UPDATE THAT COSTS AN ADDITIONAL $200 DOLLARS. THE UPDATES HAPPEN TWICE A YEAR. WE JUST PURCHASED A NEW SANTA FE AND THEY WANT US TO PAY $200 TO UPDATE TO FIX SOME OF THE PROBLEMS.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You do not have to buy a Hyundia with a GPS, that is an upgrade item. If you want certain packages.. then the GPS may be one of those options. If you did not like getting a GPS, why did you purchase the car ?
We always connect our phone to the car and try them before we purchase. I have a USB with music and crank that baby up. I am paying $30K+ US and don't want to be disappointed after I get home. I walked away from a deal on my SFS when I found out the car with the Tech Package did not include the HID lights. That was a T2.0 package. They later dropped the price a bit to compensate for that.
Updates to the GPS only come out once a year. Mainly added roads and POI.
If something is not working, that is something that should be fixed by the dealer. Not sure where you are or what items can be argued for a auto buy back.
I know the Ford "SYNC" was totally awful when it first came out.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The OEM NAV UNIT SUCKS CRAP
Not saying that the $200+ is ok, but unfortunately many other car manufacturers get away with it too.

That aside, to say the Nav is a piece of crap is a bit strong. I have almost 60,000 km on my 2013 and use the Nav a lot. Several cross country trips. Also use it a lot locally. Granted, not all bridges are in but so it goes.

Have tried to go back to iPhone Apps, Wave and Garmin in the hope that I would not sucker myself into another $200+ update in the future but I keep going back to the built-in.

Yes, POI's are somewhat outdated, as are the maps but in actual usage there is no comparison. Built-in wins for me every time.

As an aside... using a built-in device vs external makes it a bit harder to prove that I'm being distracted by an external device while driving.

To each his/her own. Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts