Hyundai Forums banner

Aftermarket fog lights?

12K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  NicholasD 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has purchased and installed aftermarket fog lights. I can do it but I'm a little hesitant. It's been a while since I've wired anything in a car, I don't want to mess something up.

#2 ·
Curious about this myself for our 2017 Limited, no where on the dash can I find a fog lamp switch, all my other vehicles with fog lamps have one..

Does have LED's lamps in the front bumper, but feel they are strictly daytime running lights. I can switch off the headlights when dark leaving the DRL's on, but don't see much of anything. Are fog lights even available for the Elantra?.

#3 · (Edited)
Are fog lights even available for the Elantra?.
To the best of my knowledge, Nick, no. And you’ve just touched on a subject that’s been discussed on here a bunch. Have to admit, would be nice in those foggy Smokey Mountains on I-40 OR I-81 thru TN, VA, & NC. It can be brutal.

On the 2011-16 MD’s, we were upgrading to the higher voltage yellow bulbs where the daytime running lights were installed. It they helped, I wouldn’t have noticed the difference. Need some old school amber lens Lucas Flamethrowers. But where? In the grill? Like the older Mini Coopers?

#4 ·
Was easy on my 48 Plymouth, just clamped on the front bumper.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...mCYRAkC9wprLyNCufP9GUKA7XSPeeF9VRA2on3wRcT92V

Sides of the bumper at the grill would be the spot to mount them, but bends back at a 45 degree angle, so would need to find some that would fit and point straight ahead. Should be centered 12" above the ground.and would have to find a place to mount the switch. Maybe in chrome so would not have to match the paint.

Wife was suppose to attend a meeting 40 miles away, we just canceled it because of fog, another solution.

#5 ·
If you find some fog lights that will fit............. I'm not familiar with the new body style... but something like this would seem to work, according to the title https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAB1H6YW3151

In any case, you get the fog lights and then wire them up. It can be a little intimidating to mess with the wiring but it's really not that bad. I'm sure the bumper is the same as older Elantra's so you'll have to remove your front bumper to install the fog lights.

Of course, that depends on HOW you want the lights to work. Factory style where you have the factory switches and the fogs turn off with the high beams takes a lot more work and more parts.

Aftermarket style where you either 1) have a fog light toggle switch mounted to turn the fogs on, or 2) have the fogs go on anytime the low beams are on is easier to accomplish. I like option 2 since I wouldn't want to have to think about turning the lights on. You can, of course, have a combination of both so that the lights are on but you have a turn off switch too.

One thing to consider is whether or not your state has vehicle inspections, and if it does then most likely they will check that fog lights operate properly, as in they turn off when you turn on the high beams.. this might not apply to all states but it does in mine, so it's worth mentioning. In that case I'm honestly not sure on what you would need to do. You'd need to figure out how to have the high beams interrupt the relay that I'll talk about in a second.

So with all that said, the actual wiring portion of the install is fairly simple.

Let's assume you want option #2, fogs go on and off with the headlights. If you get a fog light set that includes wiring or if you use a HID kit it should include a relay harness. One of the terminals on the relay will be connected to the positive wire of one of the headlight bulbs. This activates the relay whenever the headlights are on supplying power to the rest of the wiring, straight from the battery (which will also be connected to).

It's really pretty straight forward if you know the basic how to's of wiring a relay, or can follow instructions.

There might be a better way to wire it up in more of an OEM fashion, but this is the general layout of steps.

#6 ·
See Carid also sells the kit with a wiring harness and a switch, not too much info on the Artzone.

https://www.carid.com/spyder/factor...ye2017-c.html?singleid=610227599&url=88225522

Artzone claims to be using a 9006 bulb that is 55 watts, Carid doesn't say, both have just a plastic bracket with the bulb in the lower corner, hard to say if they are still using the DRL's LED's. Carid says to connect to the output of the ignition relay, would be close to an extra 10 amp load on those tiny contacts.

My old Cruze really needed fogs, side light was terrible, almost hit a person going around a sharp corner, instructions say to remove the front bumper, just removed screws and push pin rivets on the front of the wheel well, could bend that over for full access, but don't know until you try. Dealer installed was $350.00 found an OEM kit on ebay for $130.00, but was lucky with a 2012, on the 2013 changed the firmware, so had no choice but to go the dealer.

Really up in the air why they must be switched off with the brights on, try a search to learn about the logic behind this, could not find anything,

Actually in the last two years, only needed them once, so for us, maybe not worth it. Been flying for over 40 years, first thing is to check the weather, driving a vehicle is no different.

#7 ·
88 Supra fog lamps are simple enough, separate ignition switch contact, fog lamp switch, normally closed relay contacts that are opened by a voltage from the brights to switch them off for whatever reason, fuse, then the fog lamps.

In the Elantra, head lamp switch fires commands to the smart junction box that in turn illuminates the DRL's. Whats in that smart junction box is a good question, bunch of electronics and don't know if they are using a power MOSFET transistor or conventional relay contacts, extra load can burn it up.

#19 ·
Sorry man, I'm really busy most days, and only log in every now and then, so i only just saw your post. Yes, some splicing was involved. When next i take the front bumper down (took it down last week to change the horn to something better sounding), I'll post some pics of what he did.

#10 ·
I think some states have laws forbidding extra lights with the hi beams or limit the total lights to 4. Rather archaic law I would say. Illinois is like this.

I installed the factory fogs in my Accent. IAll the wiring was done from scratch.

I used a switch and a relay fused of course.

To get them to turn on only with the high beams there are two ways to do this. One use the OE LO beam switched ground at the MFS on the steering column to ground the new fog light relay coil terminal ground #86 but run it through a switch before the relay. Use fused battery power, enough amps to drive the fog lights, on terminals #30 and jumper #85, 12v+ relay coil positive terminal. Then #87 out to the fog lamps grounding the fog lamps to the frame.

The other way would be to follow this diagram. But you need another relay that would open when the high beam power is on. And put this in line with the relay you add to power the fogs.

Attachments

#11 ·
But you need another relay that would open when the high beam power is on. And put this in line with the relay you add to power the fogs.
So you need the fogs to switch off when the high beam is switched on?

Wouldn't connecting terminal 86 on the attached diagram to the high beam supply achieve the same goal without the additional relay? The 86 terminal's path to ground would be broken when the high beam is switched on, switching the fogs off.....just a thought.

#13 ·
I assume the headlight system on our Elantra's are DOT legal, when you switch the brights on the outer low bears also stay on. And they are sure a lot brighter than any kind of fog light.

If there is a law stating the fogs must be off with the brights, I sure can't seem to find it, you are welcomed to do a search on this subject. Degree of logic, switching off the fogs in brights is suppose to keep your low beams on, because your brights would reflect a lot more light. But what if you are driving without fog?

Cruze sure needed fogs, used a double filament bulb, and even with the dims on, side view lighting was extremely poor, almost hit a person turning on a sharp corned and next to impossible to see a deer. Sure love my Limited, excellent side view vision, and with the brights on so are the dim. With double filament bulbs either on or the other, have a dark shade in front of the vehicle or way out in front.

Would think if a cop saw you with your brights on oncoming, would ticket you for this, could barely see your fogs if they were on.

Four headlamp system switches the outer low beams to brights while switching on the inner high beams as well when the brights are switched on. Thinking about changing this to like the Elantra, with four brights on, dark shadow in front of the vehicle. Only switch on the inner brights.

#15 ·
You hardly ever need fog lights, in most places. If you are in a mountainous region that gets foggy very frequently, then you might benefit from fog lights. If not, it's a waste of time and energy to add them.

#18 ·
You don't have DRL's on your Elantra, that is what these are, and is the wiring there? No more real switches in these cars, commands to perform these functions are done by the BCM, may need to change the firmware and add a command switch.

Really don't need DRL's, not law yet, but this may change tomorrow. People use to have common sense to switch on their headlights when required, what happened to common sense?

#20 ·
Attached are photos of standard 2017 Elantra front lights. The fog lights are 55w

Please excuse the poor photos and the unwashed vehicle, it does rain in Australia. I am a firm believer in fog lights as fog is not uncommon where I live and I have seen their benefit when living in Northern Ireland which has a lot of fog days.

Perhaps slightly of topic, but in regard to bulb upgrades I have used Philips halogen performance bulbs and other brands that comply with all local laws and they are a cost effective upgrade that do not affect the reflector or lens as the wattage is the same as standard bulbs. It must be remembered that halogen bulbs degrade with time and use.

Attachments

#22 ·
Other vehicle manufacturers offer add on kit. with fogs, the lamps, bezels, wiring harness, switch, and instructions. With some required a firmware update.

These to places claim to have kits, but with no explanation as to what is included, maybe your Hyundai dealer could help.

https://www.rapidhyundaiparts.com/o...vGZ3Uh3KpM-vCj0LT70rpUTiIFcqbnKcaAlaeEALw_wcB

https://www.jimellishyundaiparts.co...ahHNfleUMATcOrB8ISygGQZkvsa6g7BIaAuxdEALw_wcB

Or maybe your dealer can install them.

What I do know about Hyundai and Kia, very secretive about adding cruise control. Daughter's base model Soul came without it, but she has OEM now from her dad who is 60 bucks poorer.

#23 ·
Shop manual cannot be correct with LED DRL wiring, showing them in parallel with their respective headlights, look at the diagram below.

DRL's are totally independent of the headlights, in auto mode in daylight, they are on, headlights are off. In parking mode, only the running lights are on including the DRL's, in Full on mode, also on, but the only way to switch on the head lamps is to start the engine.

Ha, not the first time found major errors in shop manuals, completely different department and hired more on their artistic and literal skills.

Ha, for the engineering department, they were pests.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.