Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably has been asked before but for some reason I cannot get anything out of the search. I have a 2010 GL and want to do an exhaust system. If I go and get a custom made one will it void my warranty? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Sigh... what warranty? Warranties cover manufacturers parts. If you install your own exhaust system, what the heck is there to warranty?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I maybe new to this but is there a need for rude comments like that. It was a simple question. Will my factory warranty be void if I go with a custom exhaust system over the factory system? This is why I don't comment on forums often.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
My point is: which warranty? Go to hyundaiusa.com. click on warranty. Cars do not have "a warranty". They have many. Obviously Hyundai will only warranty their parts, so you replacing the exhaust is all on you. Why would they warranty parts that aren't theirs? If you buy magnaflow, magnaflow warranties the parts, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am aware of that. I'm wanting to know if I go with custom and say something like the starter goes on the car. Since I have installed a custom exhaust system on the car will they give me BS saying that I have modified the car and they won't fix the starter because I have voided the warranty. I am sorry but I should have gone into more detail as to what I was asking.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
it will depend on the dealer, my dealer is pretty cool about modding my car but not every dealer is like that. Ask them, that will be ur best asnwer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, a dealer cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part. They have to show that the aftermarket part caused the problem.

So it would be a stretch for them to void the warranty on the starter due to an aftermarket exhaust for instance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
as nascarfan stated, you would only be loosing the portion of the warranty that covers the part you are changing out. Now, if there was some problem w/ the engine internals, per the act they would have to provide proof that what you changed out caused the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts