Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First real project with this car, two weeks in.
This past Tuesday it got its stereo and cruise control from a local radio shop the dealership uses.
Wednesday, I got this steering wheel off Ebay.

This steering wheel has a lot more going for it than the slippery vinyl. If any one knows how to properly detail/preserve this type of leather, I'd like to do what I can for it.

Its buttons are the real project.

The aftermarket cruise control stalk is not impressive, neither is the control.
It looks really cheap. The set/coast button will set... or coast while held in.
It won't temporarily disengage it. You turn the side switch off for that.
If you happen to disengage the cruise using the clutch or brake, the resume switch works. It's not wired to the dash, so no light indicators to speak of.

I still need to poke around, find the control module and get the right part number for the cruise control
to determine if these will communicate.
This circuit board is far beyond the sophistication of that stalk.
I'm not above giving the board a lobotomy if necessary to make the switches work.

I'm pretty sure I'll find there's an option to provide the control unit more functions. The stalk only has a couple wires.
I also assume I'll find a compatible wire harness for the steering wheel in the steering column.
Maybe I'll get under the steering column this weekend, maybe not. If I do, I'm only going in for information.
I'll wait to do the whole steering wheel swap until we have temps above freezing up here in the northeast.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
very interested in this....would a few wiring diagrams be of any assistance? just tell me what year of elantra you got that steering wheel off.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2010. If you have access to the actual board diagram or harness plugs, that would be awesome. For $20 I raided the Hyundai service site for a week, but only got the general Circuit diagram for the whole system.

I've used a multimeter to determine these things don't speak the same language. I'll be shopping for alternate buttons today to give the oem board the same functions as the Rostra stalk by removing its resistors and adding jumper wires and different buttons.

I'm hoping to use the existing wire harness in the steering wheel and splice off to the Rostra harness, but I don't really know what type of wiring I'll find in my base model steering column.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The LEDs are on their own circuit, my guess is they come on when the dashlights and door button lights come on.

The switches for the cruise are all all on-off switches delivering different resistance to the control box. My Rostra control box ain't that smart.

The plan is to replace the on-off buttons for set/coast and on/off, remove resistors and jumper wire them to the pins as needed. Set/coast needs a on-mom DPDT, on/off will use an on-on DPDT switch. I will probably try and get the leds to light up when cruise is on.

No idea how my existing steering wheel's pinout looks like though. The Blue seems to be prepared for upgrades like stereo and AC, so maybe I'll get lucky.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
this should be what you're looking for. OEM wiring diagrams for the cruise on a 2010 elantra.

note that it does denote wire colours. bottom left line that goes to ground says "0.5B" next to it indicating that the wire would be blue. the "0.5Gr/O" next to it would be a wire striped green and orange.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That helps a lot. I see what pins I have to keep for the stereo controls to work.

Funny, I know what I'm looking at but will wait for my son to read this to me, who is in electrical at voc high school. Guess I'm functionally illiterate :-D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops

Well, I got worried. Wasn't sure what my clockspring was wired for. So I had a good excuse to swap in the new steering wheel minus its buttons. Very nice to have leather grip instead of vinyl.

Also dremeled out the cruise button housing for on-on and on-mom switches. All laid out and ready to solder jumper wires then stake with epoxy.

I discovered that my clockspring is pinned for OEM buttons. Unfortunately I also discovered that if you short the illumination circuit, you blow your instrument cluster lights and the right rear brake light. Just had to see those buttons light up. The cluster fuse is good. Not sure how bad I cooked this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Progress

The first problem is to turn the OEM circuit that Zero posted into this Rostra switch circuit:

My son and I read this thing, then took the actual stalk out to probe it with a multimeter. It's the area outlined in green. We were surprised to see that brown+dark green were always closed, until you press the set button to close brown and yellow. That's button number one. The slider on the side of the stalk turns on the cruise by closing red and brown. Sliding the switch further closes red and yellow to resume or accelerate.

After hacking up the OEM Switch to fit the buttons, I made this diagram below. Colors match the Rostra diagram. What you can't see is that the red will use traces and a switch on the OEM circuit board to make contact. The gray and pink lines indicate jumpers to complete the LED illumination circuits that my dremel destroyed.

I had some super small 32 gauge stranded wire and some larger solid core wire. I decided to try the solid core for durability. It was very very bulky, especially using heat shrink to cover all the bare wire. Here's the fairly ridiculous process that ensued:

And further Frankenstein activities:

And it actually all fit in there!

I've tested it with a multimeter after assembly to the buttons and everything works the way I **think** it should.
This weekend we'll take out the Rostra stalk and compare them side by side with the mulimeter, then jumper it in for a test drive.
The 4 wires of the Rostra stalk join the rest of the cruise wiring through a standard 4 pin power plug typical for computer power supply you can get at Radioshack.

If it works, I guess I'll have to install it. This will require some rewiring of the Clockspring plug. I'm almost there.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success.

Works like a charm.

The circuits matched the rostra stalk with one difference. The set-coast button made a constant connection in the stalk, but only when the power was on. The brown to dark green set-coast connecton was wired in series from the brown to red power-on connection. I hooked it up for a test drive and it worked just fine.

Getting the buttons wired through the clock spring was quite a challenge, especially since I like to double triple check everything.

The rostra circuit requires an additional wire. With stereo controls on the other side of the steering wheel, the 8 pin OEM clock spring was already loaded. I was able to steal a wire from the stereo controls. The Axxess adapter for my Pioneer head asked me to run the stereo button ground wire directly to ground, not through the stereo as the OEM head would. So, I grounded this to the steering wheel at one of the horn bolts, saving me one clockspring pin.

Physically adding pins to connectors was a little crazy. I bought little jumper wires with female ends that Radio shack sells for PCBoard projects, they're designed for IC chips.

I just cut off the heat shrink tubing and soldered the jumper wire to new or existing 22 gauge wire. These fit into all the pin slots of my empty clockspring plug. The weren't a perfect fit, they could be pulled loose. I made sure to loop and tape the wire to prevent any tension that might pull them from their pins.

Regardless, having the leather wrap wheel, fancy blue buttons and cruise control at my fingertips is sweet success. Not a project for the faint of heart, but it's within reach if you want it.

I wish the stereo buttons worked as well as the cruise control. This is a board I didn't even touch! The volume up button may turn it up, or down. If I just keep it pressed it will go up and down for awhile and then go up up up. Easier to use the stereo buttons. Same with the track selection buttons, maybe it advances, maybe it goes back. Not impressed with the Axxess product.

·
22,793 Posts
@ccorridino: "Not a project for the faint of heart, but it's within reach if you want it."

Nicely done. I'll defer to you (and others) for this kind of stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts