Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a backup camera installed in the bumper. A week later it has disappeared into the hole the guy drilled to install it. The flange on the camera is too small. Not happy. When the installer talked about a hole in the bumper, I should have backed away but... Now what to do? I guess the simplest way is to install a plug in the hole and find another place for a camera.
Any ideas on what & where to install a backup camera would be appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Flange to small? Or. Hole to large? Seems that the best place now to install would be in the "hole" of the installer.

From the instructions provided (?) with the unit you should be able to ascertain the hole diameter to have been drilled and compare it to the one that was actually created. My guess would be a 3/8ths bit or worse a uni-bit was used to make a 10mm hole.

If this is in fact what happened then the cost of a bumper cover painted and installed would be a suitable reward for the "installer" not having a $10 drill bit. Is he required to have liability insurance?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flange to small? Or. Hole to large? Seems that the best place now to install would be in the "hole" of the installer.
He's bigger than me. B)

Insurance? I hope so. Yes, the hole is too large. He didn't use the drill that came with the camera. :mad: But I still would like an alternative location. Maybe a licence plate bracket camera would be better, but it's pretty low.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did the instructions call for a bumper mount? Or. Was the location left up to the "installer" that who was obviously not up to a drill bit selection also not up to what would have had to be done by mounting the camera in the little factory door in the middle of the hatch? How many more bits of kibble would he have F.U.B.A.R.ed trying to complete the task. A person that can't drill a hole could be devastating to trim panels.

The lesson I guess is: it is impossible to make anything fool proof because fools are so ingenius.

How about a link to the "kit" in question. I truly wish I had opted for the package when I bought the car. Now I don't mind an aftermarket if it is a quality kit at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The bad thing about sticking a camera into the bumper, is that is points straight out. It is better if you are going to put it in a fixed location like that, you install it at an angle so that you see an area to better know the proximity of your bumper to the object behind you.

I installed a front camera and a rear camera on my GT. Both cameras are different, but they each work well in their location.

Also,if you would like to do a front & rear camera setup, you would need to get a two channel monitor too.

Here are some pics.

Rear camera 1.jpg

Rear camera 2.jpg

Rear camera 3.jpg

Front Cam.jpg

Monitor 1.jpg

Monitor 2.jpg

·
22,788 Posts
How many more bits of kibble would he have F.U.B.A.R.ed trying to complete the task. A person that can't drill a hole could be devastating to trim panels.

The lesson I guess is: it is impossible to make anything fool proof because fools are so ingenius.
Somewhere, a village is missing its idiot!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curmudgeon, it is a bumper mount camera, Crimestopper.com SecurView 6703
The rest of the "kit", the display, is the CompassNav GPS aftermarket unit. Very nice unit installed by the supplier, much nicer than the Hyundai unit in many ways from what I understand. But no backup camera. I didn't see a need for it at the time, but the poor rear viability & being more and more chronologically challenged changed my mind. B)

AAAAccent,
What camera did you install? You don't find it too low? I thought about a licence plate mounted camera but figured it would be too low but yours appears to be lower.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Rear Camera

Front Camera

The height is perfect. Remember, it isn't a driving mirror, it's a back-up camera. They are wide angle and you can see all you need to see. I really like both of them, but recommend the rear one with the IR LED's for better night vision.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Curmudgeon, it is a bumper mount camera, Crimestopper.com SecurView 6703
The rest of the "kit", the display, is the CompassNav GPS aftermarket unit. Very nice unit installed by the supplier, much nicer than the Hyundai unit in many ways from what I understand. But no backup camera. I didn't see a need for it at the time, but the poor rear viability & being more and more chronologically challenged changed my mind.
By the way, I just want to make it clear that it was not Charles from CompassNav who installed the camera. Charles has been very helpful.

·
22,788 Posts
By the way, I just want to make it clear that it was not Charles from CompassNav who installed the camera. Charles has been very helpful.
Those of us that know Charles on this forum can GUARANTEE you that we knew it was not him that did it. Had Charles done the installation, it would have been as near perfect as it could be. That's the way he is...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an inexpensive backup camera that seems destined for above the license plate...but don't see any PREEXISTING holes for wiring anything. Friends I spoken to have talked as if there should be holes already that accompany the license plate lights - but do I need to drill a whole to put the backup camera wire through? There is a rubber stopper that I once found and removed that is higher (like in the trunk) but without an obvious purpose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts