Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2011. Does anyone know what the tint rating is on the rear windows? I want to tint the front windows and I would like to use the same percentage so it matches

I would also like to add a 10" sub in a small sealed box in the rear of the truck. I do not have the navigation package. I was reading that the standard package comes with a 172watt internal amp. Does that mean the amp is built into the head unit unlike the premium package that has the amp underneath the seat?

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 2010 Santa Fe came with the front windows tinted from the factory.

I hate it.

Yeah, it looks really great from the outside, and I like it a lot during the day. But when I'm driving at night where there's no street lights and making a left turn, I'm turning almost blind because I can't see anything to my left through the tinted window. It's not as bad turning right because I can see more of that area through the windshield. I'd really like to have it removed, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

It's not that I can't see out the windows at all, and it's actually fine when I'm driving on busier roads with street lights. But when it's dark, my eyes are adjusted to the level of the light coming in the windshield. It takes 5-10 seconds to adjust to the level of light coming in the tinted side windows. That's too long to practically sit at a stop sign waiting to be able to see. lol To simulate this, put some trash bags or newspaper over your side windows and drive around your block making left turns. I think you'll be surprised how much you use those windows while turning.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but thought I'd share my experience.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Maltz...no manufacturer tints the front windows from the factory because that's actually illegal in many states and provinces not to mention the maximum permissible tint darkness varies from state to state. For example, New York restricts tint to 70% while New Mexico will allow you to have it as dark as 20% on the front windows. Take it to a tint shop and I believe you'll find that the dealership probably had it done while the car was in inventory. Since that's likely the case, they will be able to remove it for you since it's simply a film applied to the inside of the glass.

To the OP: I had the front windows on my old '04 tinted to match and the shop simply put on a transmittance meter that tells them what percentage the tint is. If memory serves, it's right around 27%. Check your local laws in the link below before proceeding. I skated on thin ice for a while but some cops are more strict about it than others though in my experience, cars with dark tinted windows are far more likely to be stopped than SUVs.

Tint Laws by State - Remember, the smaller the number, the darker the tint.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm sure you're right, it was probably the dealer. And I don't expect it would be difficult to remove, I just haven't gotten around to it yet, but will probably do so soon as daylight is growing shorter. I was paying closer attention as I drove home from dinner tonight, and I probably overstated how bad the visibility is. If I look directly out the side window, I can see ok in 2-3 seconds. But using peripheral vision is the main problem. I can't see out the side window via peripheral vision at all.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (BertMan @ Dec 2 2010, 06:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376530
I would also like to add a 10" sub in a small sealed box in the rear of the truck. I do not have the navigation package. I was reading that the standard package comes with a 172watt internal amp. Does that mean the amp is built into the head unit unlike the premium package that has the amp underneath the seat?
I believe you are correct. Are you looking to DIY or have it installed? A good installer should know what you need to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the info. Ill have a shop check the tints

Regarding the stereo...I found a wiring diagram on the net for a 2010 santa fe head unit. I would think the wiring should be the same for 2011. If this is the correct wiring diagram then I will install the amp myself and save a 100 bucks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
QUOTE (BertMan @ Dec 4 2010, 07:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377001
Appreciate the info. Ill have a shop check the tints

Regarding the stereo...I found a wiring diagram on the net for a 2010 santa fe head unit. I would think the wiring should be the same for 2011. If this is the correct wiring diagram then I will install the amp myself and save a 100 bucks.
Could post the link? Does the site have info on the Nav head unit also?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts