Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Tucson in Dec. 2011 (2012). I was not getting the Limited, but asked for it to come with remote start, heated seats and fog lamps. I assured it would. The day I was to take delivery, I learned that none of this was factory installed in the vehicle. They assured me that after-market was fine and I, unfortunately, believed them.
The remote start has been the ongoing problem, but they are now denying it (though they told me they found the drain and made the appt. with the installer to come replace it- but instead changed my battery and told me that was the problem).
What happens is that if I do not drive my vehicle for ONE day, it is dead. I have had roadside assistance come appx. 10 times. I have even made them flat-bed it in to the dealer.
Today, with the new battery (2 months) it was dead again. What they are trying to tell me is that I DO NOT DRIVE ENOUGH TO KEEP THE BATTERY CHARGED (almost 12,000 in 2 years). This is not acceptable to me. The dealership continues to tell me that with all the new computers, I need to drive MORE to keep the battery charged. I am not buying it...as well as the roadside assistance tech. He told me he sees this all the time in after-market remote starts.
Has anyone else had this problem? I've notified California, am filing with the BBB (this dealership already has an F rating) and am considering legal action.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I purchased a Tucson in Dec. 2011 (2012). I was not getting the Limited, but asked for it to come with remote start, heated seats and fog lamps. I assured it would. The day I was to take delivery, I learned that none of this was factory installed in the vehicle. They assured me that after-market was fine and I, unfortunately, believed them.
The remote start has been the ongoing problem, but they are now denying it (though they told me they found the drain and made the appt. with the installer to come replace it- but instead changed my battery and told me that was the problem).
What happens is that if I do not drive my vehicle for ONE day, it is dead. I have had roadside assistance come appx. 10 times. I have even made them flat-bed it in to the dealer.
Today, with the new battery (2 months) it was dead again. What they are trying to tell me is that I DO NOT DRIVE ENOUGH TO KEEP THE BATTERY CHARGED (almost 12,000 in 2 years). This is not acceptable to me. The dealership continues to tell me that with all the new computers, I need to drive MORE to keep the battery charged. I am not buying it...as well as the roadside assistance tech. He told me he sees this all the time in after-market remote starts.
Has anyone else had this problem? I've notified California, am filing with the BBB (this dealership already has an F rating) and am considering legal action.

What brand after market remote start did you buy? I plan to install an alarm with remote start soon since the stock alarm is obsolete.

·
Registered
842 Posts
If you didn't drive your car for like weeks actually over a month at a time, then i'd say your driving habits may cause your battery to drain, but 12k miles per year should be plenty enough.

The idiot installer likely installed the power wires for the remote start onto an always active power line instead of power and ignition to the correct wires. The starter module is supposed to have a tiny tiny drain until it sees ignition power, then turn on the module. But if they wired the ignition wire to an always active power wire, then the remote start is always on, and will probably drain your battery in 1-2 days. A quick and easy test the dealer can do is simply unplug the remote start module, it typically has connectors on it. They can do a before and after current drain test when they unplug the remote start module. While it's true CANbus vehicles can have more and more modules and computers, your overall current draw should still be less than 100mA. It should take several weeks to drain your battery at that rate.

Constantly deep cycling a lead acid battery will hurt the battery as the lead plates will start to build up a layer of sulfate. This sulfate will act as an insulator and the plates will effectly have less capacity. Your battery probably was bad when you took it into the dealer, but this was a side effect of constantly draining it all the time, not the cause of your situation. They probably found the battery too be bad, which i'm sure it was, and replaced it thinking they solved the issue. But they only fixed a symptom, not the problem.

A current drain test is simple to do with a multimeter. With the ignition off, they can just disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Connect one lead to the battery post, and the other to the ground cable. Being careful to never turn the ignition key on during this whole process, or they'll blow the fuse in the meter. They should be able to read the current drain in mA. Then unplug the remote start box and seeing if it goes down drastically.

For topgun, if installing a remote starter youself and you have the standard key model, I used a fortin EVO -ONE with a T-Harness, made installation super easy, just 8 wires(don't do horn). I used posi-taps for quick installation, and has been very reliable. Hyundai Tucson 2014 Standard-Key | Remote starter, bypass module and alarm system | Fortin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts