Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021, 2018, 2015 Sonata Limited
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed Python Remote Start and Security systems on many of my previous vehicles (3 of which were Sonata's). However, none of them utilized the push to start button (with the smart key fob). Thinking of getting it installed in my 2018 Sonata Limited. Has anyone traveled down this road with their push to start button Sonata's?

Yes, blue link is up and running (first 3 yrs are free) so that's great, but after that, the cost to maintain those subscriptions is about $250 a year (if you get the Connected Care, Remote, & Guidance). Cost of Python would be the unit, installation, and then an annual subscription if you want vehicle find, remote start from anywhere, etc. At any rate, that subscription would be cheaper than Bluelink. Also, bluelink does not notify you when/if there is activity in close proximity to your car.

Long post I know, but want to get opinions on staying and paying the bluelink fee after the free service is up or just going to aftermarket.

Reactions: teezythakidd

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
Before adding an aftermarket package that does what you already have Id wait and towards the end of your free BlueLink Subscription call them and see what if any additional discounts are available.

Over the years they have discounted more than 40% to get or keep subscribers. My car only came with 1 yr paid by dealer when if was up last May Hyundai had a 15% discount going but I still called them and asked what they could do to keep me as a customer because I was not going to renew at $ 99 a year per service less 15% discount special (for me connected care and remote with discount went from $ 198 to %170). Almost immediately the service rep offered me 25% discount if I signed up then. I did and total cost was about $150 yr.

Ive found with many yearly services there is room for discounts, DirectTv is a big one they have a department called "customer retention" when your contract comes up for renewal call and ask for them and tell them the price has gotten to high and you are shopping around with Dish or local cable and they will almost always offer you the new subscriber 6 month or first year prices and sometimes more than on renewal just call back and they renew again. I lowered my DTV bill for their platinum package with all channels and 5 TV on the newest Genie System DVR recorder and warranty etc from about $189 month to $132 month, same with Protection One security , over the last couple years Ive called to cancel with the reason that their to expensive and had my quarterly rate (3 months) reduced from $ 99 to $89 and last month to $56 full service- 24hr response, fire, motion , 2 way communication, full warranty and repair.

Also so e billing will often save you 5-10%

This all works as long as you have a good history with the companies and they want to keep your business

·
Registered
941 Posts
Got a remote start in my push to start Tucson.. it's fine, no problems.

I feel it's better than BlueLink for a couple reasons..... 1) once you pay for it you don't continue to pay for it like you do with BlueLink.

2) The remote start will run for up to 20 minutes, maybe longer if you want.. whereas BL runs for 10 minutes and then shuts off. My Tucson does not warm up in the winter in 10 minutes, so the remote start is worthless to get into a cold car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
One thing I really HATE about Hyundai is that you do not have Remote Start from your FOB. (Hit two buttons in correct order, and car starts). Hyundai, (Kia and Genesis) force you to use BlueLink, (extra steps) digging out your cell phone, finding the BlueLink app, then pressing the Remote Start within the app.

My previous cars and friends cars only need buttons on their key Fob to be pressed.

Neither of my Sonatas have BlueLink. I phoned BlueLink and told them to unsubscribe me as I don't want to be tracked.

But it's free.
I don't want it.
But it's FREE.
I don't care if you pay me to have it, I DONT WANT IT.

Took a while, but they finally unsubscribed me. Brother-in-law does the same with the OnStar in his Chevys. (His chevys have key fob Remote Start though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Put this in my '15 and '17 Sonatas. Both of them have worked great and have all the features I wanted and more. Proximity lock/unlock, Remote start with key fob, Sunroof control from fob, lock doors while car is running, turbo timer, automatic sunroof closing, the list goes on. I did my install myself, but any radio/security system shop should be able to install it for you.

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/k5os-canbus-control-module

·
Premium Member
2021, 2018, 2015 Sonata Limited
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put this in my '15 and '17 Sonatas. Both of them have worked great and have all the features I wanted and more. Proximity lock/unlock, Remote start with key fob, Sunroof control from fob, lock doors while car is running, turbo timer, automatic sunroof closing, the list goes on. I did my install myself, but any radio/security system shop should be able to install it for you.

https://www.k5optimastore.com/products/k5os-canbus-control-module

Wow, impressive. I'm a DIY kind of guy but not the alarm/remote starts. I have always left this up to the certified pros (so to speak).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts