Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently installed LEDs all over my vehicle. After finishing installation of every exterior light (except my headlights, which are still halogen), I've noticed that my cruise control no longer works. The light on the dash will light up to show the cruise is activated, but when I try to set a cruising speed, my car decelerates when I let off the gas. I've heard of someone else having cruise control problems in their vehicle after switching to LEDs, but I'm not ruling anything out...however, I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. Any comments on what it might be or how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I just recently installed LEDs all over my vehicle. After finishing installation of every exterior light (except my headlights, which are still halogen), I've noticed that my cruise control no longer works. The light on the dash will light up to show the cruise is activated, but when I try to set a cruising speed, my car decelerates when I let off the gas. I've heard of someone else having cruise control problems in their vehicle after switching to LEDs, but I'm not ruling anything out...however, I have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it. Any comments on what it might be or how to fix it? Thanks in advance!
I think the problem is unrelated. Just coincidence.

Check the fuse (if I'm not mistaking there is one.) sometimes I know mine won't activate unless I firmly push the set button.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the problem is unrelated. Just coincidence.

Check the fuse (if I'm not mistaking there is one.) sometimes I know mine won't activate unless I firmly push the set button.
I did check the fuse for it in the fusebox under the steering wheel, and it looked fine...however, you (sorta) reminded me that I may wanna check the fusebox under the hood as well and see if there's a corresponding fuse.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Check the brake light switch as this is a common failure on Hyundais and likely totally unrelated to your LEDs. If the brake light switch is defective, the brake lights will either be on all the time or not at all but either way, the cruise will not set.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Check the brake light switch as this is a common failure on Hyundais and likely totally unrelated to your LEDs. If the brake light switch is defective, the brake lights will either be on all the time or not at all but either way, the cruise will not set.
+1 for this answer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know whether or not it's that; my brake lights work fine and as they should...I especially made sure to check with the brake lights when replacing them with LEDs, and actually had to replace my first LED brake lights with another because they would not light unless I hit the brake. I replaced them, and they work fine now. Actually, now that I think about it, my 3rd brake light only lights 4 LEDs in the corner (it was already LED, which I confirmed by opening up the shell...possible bad move...?) Could it be that the brake switch (or something affecting it) is being thrown off by the much, much lower current draw of the LEDs? Sorry for bouncing around on this, I blame ADD :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Common issue for people who are not aware with dual element bulbs is proper orientation of the bulb in the socket.. they take the bulb out easily, and shove the new bulb in,, sometimes backwards, and the terminal on bottom of bulb shorts the tail light electric into the brake light circuit and cruise wont set with the lights on..

Other way around is the dash lighting illuminates when stepping on brake pedal

Dual element bulb out back has 2 pins on circumference of the base.. 1 is lower than the other.. they have to matched to the slots in the socket.. ever notice going down road that DIY up in front has a regular tail light glow on 1 side, and nice bright brake light glow on other side all the way down the road,, see it all the time.

See the pins -

High pin slot -

Low pin slot -

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Common issue for people who are not aware with dual element bulbs is proper orientation of the bulb in the socket.. they take the bulb out easily, and shove the new bulb in,, sometimes backwards, and the terminal on bottom of bulb shorts the tail light electric into the brake light circuit and cruise wont set with the lights on..

Other way around is the dash lighting illuminates when stepping on brake pedal
Except I know for a fact both bulbs work properly both for the taillight and stoplight. I tested this by going in my garage, closing the door, turning on the lights, and looking for a red glow in my sideview mirrors of the lights shining off the door. Then I look to see if both sides get brighter when I depress the brake. Trust me, I'm not trying to get a ticket :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
On cars with cruise control the brake pedal has 2 switches, one for switching the lights, providing 12 volts when pedal pushed, and another (seperate) switch, providing a 12 volts signal when pedal NOT pushed (so open line, released, when pedal pushed) for the cruise control unit.
They are only interconnected at the 12 volts side to fuse 14 (10A) in the interior fusebox.
I suppose it is best to measure voltages at the brake pedal for checkup of that cruise control line.
The pedal switched voltage to rear stop lights and stop led bar are simply interconnected by a joint connector, so all should measure 12 volts when pedal pushed.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so a guy on Amazon replied to a comment of mine, and even though I didn't ask him about the cruise control problem, he confirmed for me that the cruise control will not work if you replace your brake/stoplights with LEDs. The way to get around this is either by installing an inline resistor in one or both of the brake light lines, or to just use incandescents. I tried ordering error-free bulbs to solve the problem, but it didn't work, as the Santa Fe does not have a CANBUS system. Looks like, unfortunately, I'll be going back to incandescents for the brake lights (as I don't wanna pay money to have a resistor installed). I've ordered the Sylvania 1157LL (long life) bulbs. They'll light up much slower than the LEDs, but if I get hit I figure the person behind shouldn't have been so close. Thank all you guys for your help and suggestions; I will be back only if I continue to have cruise problems after I install the incandescents.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
That's odd. I've had LEDs in my Elantra brake lights for six months now and the cruise control has never failed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts