Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I recently replaced both CV drive shafts on a manual Elantra 2003, The replacement went fine and the car no longer makes clicking noises on turning. However now the ABS light is now on permanently and also the brake light comes on sporadically have checked fluid levels and flexible hydraughlic cables for leaks and there are none.

During the replacement I undid the ABS sensor cable and was careful not to stress the cables, also I have taken the wheels off both sides again and inspected everything carefully as well as measured both ABS sensors with a meter and the both read 1.5Kohms which is about right (so I assume I didnt break a cable.)

Any suggestions what could be causing this? As I say the car drives normally, Brakes are completely normal though I haven't stomped on them to test to see if ABS actually works.

Any suggestions, failing this...:

I would like to plug a OBD2 reader and see what the fault code is but none of them seem to support this age vehicle (not the cheapys on EBAY anyway)? Anyone know of a cheap one that will work with this car that can read and reset ABS codes please.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Did the new shafts have ABS rings fitted? Were the sensors clean and free of any metallic debris(they're magnetic)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Basis OBD2 code reader won't read ABS unless you get a more comprehensive reader.
Not sure if their inductive sensors but your reading does indicate that. Drive the car jacked up and see if you get a nice AC voltage output.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,554 Posts
Right front wheel has ABS sensor even though vehicle may not have ABS.
Replacing CV axle, need to be careful that the replacement has a ring tone gear for the sensor
It tells the ECU that the wheel is spinning and at what speed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks heaps, yes the new CV axel had a teeth on it like the one pictured.I suspected that would be what the sensor was looking for. Is it possible these CV replacements are not quite compatible? Is there any adjustment in the sensor ie for example to make it closer to the teeth? I understand a basic OBD2 reader wont read the ABS codes, can you recommend one that does for this model car. Is it possible the computer just needs to be reset because its getting unexpected readings from the sensor and just needs to be told the CV joint has been changed and be recalibrated?

I am not sure I really fancy running the car on jacks with the wheels spinning while measuring the sensors for AC in my apartment garage lol...I get enough looks as it is lol.

Strangely I had to replace the same things on a chrysler voyager and got the parts from the same supplier...no problem with them at all.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Make sure the tone rings don't have any cracks in them.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Has the new tone ring got the same number of teeth as the old one? Some manufacturers have a shim under the sensor but If it gets too close it may hit a damage the sensor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my days off in a few days ...Ill have a look then thanks for your inputs...the starter motor died in my chrysler so I have to look at that first...dammit it all comes at once...the Hyandai is my girlfreinds car :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts