Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.aemintakes.com/mobile/product.aspx?prod=26-3002C

So this kit is only listed as working for the 2016 Tucson. I want to get it for my 2017. From what I gather, Hyundai didn't change anything under the hood from 2016 to 2017 model year. Does anyone know of any problems I may run into if I purchase this kit? Or am I correct in thinking that I should be fine.

For the record, I did reach out to AEM, and the rep said they don't know because they haven't tried it for 2017. So he couldn't tell me one way or another.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I'd wager it would fit 2016-18... haven't seen any technical or manufacturing differences to the engine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is indeed pricey.
I received a lot of Amazon gift cards for Christmas. So I only paid about $130 of my own money.
I literally just ordered this, just now.
It arrives on Saturday.
I will report back with pictures. I will try and record some of the installation, and how it performs and sounds.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I certainly can't afford to put it on a Dyno. What type of comparisons/tests would you like to see?

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
222 Posts
Conceding dyno tests, what type of performance characteristics do you expect to change? Please show any differences between before and after the installation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm expecting a little faster throttle response off the line. I'm hoping it increases acceleration a little bit. However, I'm not sure if it will slightly increase turbo lag or not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm expecting a little faster throttle response off the line. I'm hoping it increases acceleration a little bit. However, I'm not sure if it will slightly increase turbo lag or not.
The piping is not much larger that stock, I would not expect an increase in any turbo lag since the main factor in lag is lag is how fast the turbo can spin up (exhaust side). The smaller turbo's used in GDI motors reach max boost very early because they spin up very fast, and usually die off in the higher rpms. Larger turbos may not hit max boost till 4K rpms, and hold throughout the upper power band given more HP

Anyways....I would expect a sound difference and roughly 5-7hp which will not be noticeable. I would do charge piping over the intake any day. According to forums on the veloster just adding a tork pipe is worth that much of an increase on dyno's.

And besides all that...the piping looks great!

·
Registered
2016 Tucson Sport 1.6T DCT
222 Posts
I'm expecting a little faster throttle response off the line.
How will you measure "a little faster" and how will you compare that to stock?

I'm hoping it increases acceleration a little bit. However, I'm not sure if it will slightly increase turbo lag or not.
How will you measure increase of acceleration or turbo lag?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm expecting a little faster throttle response off the line.
How will you measure "a little faster" and how will you compare that to stock?

I'm hoping it increases acceleration a little bit. However, I'm not sure if it will slightly increase turbo lag or not.
How will you measure increase of acceleration or turbo lag?
Well I certainly don't have any metric to officially measure it. It's all going to be anecdotal based on how I feel about it. That's about as scientific as it's gonna get (not very).

·
Registered
35 Posts
As you can see here, the test results that were collected indicate that the car went from going simply "vrooom" have now been upgraded to VROOM!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Naysayers are typically trolls anyway. Ignore them. They are content with average when some of us want exceptional. I call them donothingers that are content being high on legal/illegal drugs and are sad brainwashed sheeple.

Simple 5-60mph or passing tests like 50-80mph or any other couple points... 20-70mph... would give you an idea on whether it helped or not. If not using the power, MPG should increase. More engine torque should require less go pedal for similar acceleration when compared to non-modded piping. If you use less go-pedal, you improve MPG. Using less go-pedal when the boost is so much fun that it can be/is difficult to do. Area under the curve is more important than silly peak power improvements, which is something that fools don't understand.
Anything that reduces lag, boosts response... is more enjoyable too.

On the veloster, it was ~10hp for the resonator(torq pipe) removal. Post the pictures or old and/or new pipes. If the AEM removes the muffler on the intake side, then you know where the power came from. Less intake restriction will also decrease turbo lag, improving throttle response since engine is a machine working against numerous OE power robbing restrictions... usually for NVH/EPA/CAFE happiness.

Combo should work well.... so get a freer flowing air filter kit too. When not using the HP, you should see 5-10% MPG improvement which is another easy to measure comparator.

Turbo'd engines always respond well to intake/exhaust mods. In 30 years, my dozen or so turbo'd gas/diesel engines never felt good stock from the factory. It took a little modding to turn them into enjoyable.

Other simple mods.... warm climate doesn't need the coolant loop thru the throttle body, velosters have used other engine throttle bodies(few mm bigger) or bored out throttle body.
Maxbore.com throttle body boring service and repair

AEM is the only one making stuff for the tucson. So, you either pay or DIY.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it put on today. Me and my wife's uncle did it in about two hours (we were watching the NFL games while installing). It is actually easier than the intake kit was. Although I think part of the reason is, this time around, I knew my way around the engine bay more. The hardest part was the lower pipe (cold side, going out from the intercooler). After we got that on, the rest was easy. We did not need to jack up the car for this.

He lives about an hour south from me, so I got a nice ride with it. My takeaway so far is that it's pretty nice. Don't notice a change in power from right off the line. But when you're already moving, and you hit the gas, man does this kit give it a lot more top end punch. Feels way more instantaneous and very quick. I'll report back tomorrow with more pics, video, and impressions.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more thing to note while it's on my mind. With the upper pipe's resonator now gone (hot side) it has a lower pitch growl to it. Not loud, but just a deep tone to it. Sounds great. The blowoff/recirculation sounds about the same I think (it was the intake kit that really made that sound great). Again, more tomorrow.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well I certainly can't afford to put it on a Dyno. What type of comparisons/tests would you like to see?
I will going to put the dyne on May 3rd to see the result with AEM Intake and Charge Pipe also I agreed with you about lower Charge Pipe part was hardest. It pain my neck have to take off because I didn't put 1/8" NPT on the two ports. :frown:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts