Hyundai Forums banner
101 - 118 of 118 Posts
Wow I thought you had a jack under the diff and no top arms. Big redesign needed there. Not one of my specialty areas but I would think the best would be equal length top and bottom arms with equal spacing. With that sort of angle change I figure a touch of the throttle would bust the shaft or uni real quick. I'm glad it's only temporary. Once you get it upside down you can do some serious changes as you say. I'm just working on my old Toyota at the moment. Cleaned all the wheels back and got them primed for a bit of colour hopefully tomorrow as well as a change in design for the clutch master cylinder which I hope will arrive tomorrow. That's the problem when their as old as this car is. 1967 model with real hard to find parts because no one really loved them so most got recycled.

Discussion starter · #102 ·
Wow I thought you had a jack under the diff and no top arms. Big redesign needed there. Not one of my specialty areas but I would think the best would be equal length top and bottom arms with equal spacing. With that sort of angle change I figure a touch of the throttle would bust the shaft or uni real quick. I'm glad it's only temporary. Once you get it upside down you can do some serious changes as you say. I'm just working on my old Toyota at the moment. Cleaned all the wheels back and got them primed for a bit of colour hopefully tomorrow as well as a change in design for the clutch master cylinder which I hope will arrive tomorrow. That's the problem when their as old as this car is. 1967 model with real hard to find parts because no one really loved them so most got recycled.
That is exactly right. They will be close to equal length. I unfortunately have to have a difference of under an inch. I haven't measured the exact difference yet. The stock upper links are about 1/3 the length of the lowers. So factory pinion angles were very wild to begin with.

Very nice! Is it a 60's corolla? I remember someone throwing one away but it was so rusted out it was basically just body panels with holes.

Discussion starter · #104 ·
Oh! I wish I could own a crown! They look awesome. Im into grandpa cars. Used to have an e32 absolutely mint condition. Literally showroom condition. Hate myself for selling it.
Whats special about the S?

Discussion starter · #106 ·
5th link made: Not fully bolted in, but shes holding it together! It is adjusted a little extended than id like to make up for the factory ride height. Once lowered I can shorten it a little ways.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Bumper

Welding art:
Hand Fluid Automotive tire Gas Nail
Wood Water Gas Metal Nickel

Never done body work before. I just went on amazon and ordered a bunch of products and picked up this weird and truly amazing rust restore product. It converts rust into a nice polymer. Even converts metal that is brittled from rust back to a solid workable piece of material. Part of the process is to scrape off loose rust. When I did this a small hole formed. ****.
Wood Fluid Paint Natural material Gas

Well apparently body work is my thing because I filled the hole and it is absolutely NOT noticeable. I used a special type of bondo that is similar to that of JB weld, it is extremely strong but still sandable.
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door

There is small deteriation in the corners of the lift-back lid and such. These spots are all being properly tended too.

Attachments

Looks like your in for some learning. I have always played around with body and paint and must say I can do quiet a good job but what is important is good prep and good quality paints. I recently used a product called Feronite which on my fuel tank worked a real treat. Very similar to what you used. When it dries it become the primer but what I found was Lacquer didn't like sticking to it and I had to sand back and do it again. I have now gone back to Phosphoric acid which must be cleaned down with water but had no issues painting. I have a mobile work van which was looking a bit sad with lot's of dents and surface rust issues. The factory paint was just falling off so being in lockdown decided to do it up. Now it looks like a new van. Pretty good at boasting hey!

Discussion starter · #108 ·
Yeah sure am! When I get to doing the over fenders (wide body) and duck tail wing and such its going to be so much work trying to make it perfect.
The stuff I used looked like chocolate shake, smelled like banana smoothie, and had to be washed off after 24 hours. It stated just paint right over.
I have seen on the news those lockdowns over there are getting pretty bad. I'm sorry you have to go through all that. But it will come here soon as well. At least you are able to put your time to good use. Stay safe out there

Discussion starter · #109 · (Edited)
Update:
Motor and Transmission pulled
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Asphalt Wheel

Car getting ready to go on the rotisserie.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper

Mounting is almost bolt on from factory. Just need to drill the second hole in the arm for another bolt.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire

Fab work coming soon
Hood Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

Random photos:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Rad port will be cut when its ready:
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Discussion starter · #111 ·
Its going to look pretty wild thats for sure.
The radiator is moved to the back to reduce the need to move the engine backwards. I have to check but I believe my class rules prevent me modifying the firewall to that extent anyways.
The engine could have fit if I really tried with radiator in front, only if there was no dry sump system. The LT1 engine is actually not much bigger than the stock motor. I believe height was the only actual major issue, but with the custom crossmember, dry sump oiling and solid mounted mid plate + Possible front plate as well, I can mount it much lower and am hopefully able to retain most the hood except the intake pipe up the center of hood where the radiator once was, and the turbos and wastegate vents.

Getting excited... Starting to feel a bit better from that accident, so things are starting to speed up again.

Discussion starter · #112 ·
Update:
Got the car mounted properly, as balanced as can be, still bottom heavy which is okay. I guess this is built for larger cars that are taller and more top heavy.
Automotive tire Dog Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

Removed the front crossmember. Some few components may be spared off of it. Removed all the brake and fuel lines as well.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive exterior

Started on removing the undercoating. I did a little bit, then tried a heat gun and that made it harder to do so I checked the internet. Apparently airplane stripper is the stuff. But I opted for an automotive stripper that claims it can do it easily, and uses no harsh chemicals...
Water Wood Brickwork Brick Font

Should have a nice mig welder before Christmas so I can start stitching the car together

Discussion starter · #115 ·
Hello World,
I am still alive but barely. The project has begun again. I disappeared due to a major flood that stranded our entire city and washed away all major routes; they had to fly in food with helicopters. Additionally I have been having some medical problems. They are not solved but they have been lightly mitigated, so I am functional again.

Motor is starting to get worked on again and the extended upper links are getting done. I have a hole already in the car and the extension box is already sitting in it, just not welded.
Big updates this summer!

Great your back ln action but sorry to hear not fully. I remember you ha a accident with a garbage truck. I can only assume it's associated. I didn't know about the floods they sounded quite bad. Where now having a second round of floods here.
I just had a hip replacement last week and spending 2 weeks in a repeat hospital. The service is great and the food done by chef so it's top class but for me too much spare time.
Post some progress Pick's when you get the time.

Discussion starter · #117 ·
Great your back ln action but sorry to hear not fully. I remember you ha a accident with a garbage truck. I can only assume it's associated. I didn't know about the floods they sounded quite bad. Where now having a second round of floods here.
I just had a hip replacement last week and spending 2 weeks in a repeat hospital. The service is great and the food done by chef so it's top class but for me too much spare time.
Post some progress Pick's when you get the time.
Yeah that accident still haunts me, it was a dump truck with a A-Train trailer on it. These issues were unrelated I believe. Some kind of breathing issue; had what I believed to be many very near death experiences, used to be getting up at 3am choking but I have a few medications that are helping me right now. I could no longer think clearly or really function at all it had gotten so bad and constant lung "infections". Still in the works of seeing medical professionals about it. Have a few appointments coming up.
Yeah the floods covered major routes for weeks and the government decided to do road blocks and essential travel only. Well their list of essential travel was vague, and ever-changing. 99% of the time travel for work was NOT essential. I ended up hiring a tow truck to take me across the blockade as that was deemed essential, they dropped me off on other side and I stayed at the car shop. My commercial yard is a ten minute commute away directly beside the blockade so I stayed there for a few weeks. Lots of people were getting into their houses via inflatable rafts and their second story windows! The area that flooded was a lake that was artifically dried so the damage was unbelievable. Probably nearing or surpassing a billion dollars. I remember hearing 70 or 700 million to fix the major routes that were damaged for 100's of kilometers. Full bridges washed away. I just took the trip on one of the routes last week and they have moved the highways around the damaged areas, looks literally like the post apocolyptic movies with just random leftover sections of bridge standing.

Hope everything heals well with the hip! That's pretty cool that a chef makes the food there; our health care here, is somewhat lower class.... Lucky if you get a jello.

Will do! I have a few but nothing amazing yet. I will update probably in the next 2 weeks. I have a few things on order. Have to complain to Tick Performance again about my order. They told me my order for lifters almost a year ago would ship end of February, well, it's april and I have heard nothing.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.