Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my car in today to replace the drivers side window regulator, and got a call before they started with the price.

After giving me the quote they added that it was time for a transmission service. I stated it should not be, because I get it changed every 30k miles at this dealer, and the fluid in there was only 18k miles old. She then says "we recommend every 30k miles or 24 months, whichever is first, and it's $170 for the service". I said no, Im not paying for that right now. Her response was "well, it looks like motor oil".

Now I knew this was complete BS because I check my fluids every weekend in both cars. Here is a pic, its hard to tell, but I dropped some out on a piece of printer paper and a paper towel, and the results where the same, still somewhat pink but starting to brown.

To me, if they pull this on someone who doesnt know any better, its $170 scam job IMO, and it kinda pisses me off. I dont use the dealer for everything, but I do major stuff there and have spent a good bit of money.

Any suggestions on how to address it, because Im not letting it go. I think her whole retort about it looking like motor oil is what really has me pissed.

This is white photo paper (camera made it a little warm looking i guess because of overheard lighting). Holding it in my hand, its light pink.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does your manual say for normal and severe service?
John
In the normal scheduled maintenance its inspect every 15k/12 months, replace every 105k or 84 months.

Extreme, which mine doesnt meet, but Ive always followed, says "Every 30,000 miles". My issue that she told me it looked like motor oil, which is 100% false.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If you get the feeling that service providers are deliberately padding the bill based on customer ignorance, they are. It makes me wonder how many timing belts* they've changed over the years. I'd let this dealer go and find another dealer or have an indie mechanic do more of the service.

*The latest Hyundais have timing chains, which last the life of the engine.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya know, I'm used to they "we show its time for a fuel injection service, or by your mileage you need a new cabin filter", but I think what got me is when she pushed it and then told me it looked like motor oil. It was almost trying to guilt me into it, forget the fact she called to tell me that is was going to be $350 for the window work...

What sucks for me is, I do really like getting some things done at the dealer, but I dont have another within 45 mins of me.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
There is a hyundai bulletin I read that says its normal for the dye to lose its red color and start to get darker, and doesn't mean the fluid is bad.

Try and find it and show it to the dealer.

Staff are often on commission at dealers and sometimes it's obvious.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Write the Service Manager, copy the Owner of the dealership and copy Hyundai corporate. If you really want to get them angry copy the BBB and your State Consumer Protection Bureau. As you were not harmed financially nothing will happen with BBB etc but it is still a complaint. Go online and write a review, as well.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
If you plan to go back for service later just walk away. No sense starting crap if you need them to do work again in the future. Not unless you want to toy with them like a cat and a mouse.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got my survey via email and answered fairly on all the number ratings, but took em to the woodshed in the comment section at the end. Be curious to see if anyone calls me.

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
All you need to do is not give them a 10 on the survey and they get a butt chewing from Hyundai.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, a couple of applicable spots I did not give them a 10 because they did not deserve it, but most of the survey was geared towards rating the repair, not the scam. So i was fair, and even stated in my dissertation that the repair work had always been great, I just did not appreciate being told to get a $170 service I did not need.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
All you need to do is not give them a 10 on the survey and they get a butt chewing from Hyundai.

Have not found a manufacturer that can stop any dealership from doing the upsells. Dealerships just keep doing it no matter what corporate says. Since it is not a bad repair or service ( just trying to fleece a customer) they just don't care.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, how can you now trust this dealership with repairs, and their costs? How confident are you that your $350 repair was fair?
John
The only difference to me is when I take it there for a "repair", Ive generally researched it online and seen what other people paid. If its way high, I could say "no", but they have been inline on the repairs.

Ill still use them for the tranny, because Im not driving an hour to get that done. And AFAIK, shops like Firestone do not carry the actual required fluid.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Have not found a manufacturer that can stop any dealership from doing the upsells. Dealerships just keep doing it no matter what corporate says.

Dealership is an independent owned/operated under franchise agreement..
the rules set forth by Hyundai typically deal with sales, and rules for application of Hyundai warranty policy-procedures.. but the dealer service is free to sell what they want at what ever they feel the consumer will pay, though most try to be competitive with local market.. they in the business of making money, so they looking for missing maintanance to make some money.. Warranty service only dont pay my bills..

Since it is not a bad repair or service ( just trying to fleece a customer) they just don't care.
Service is only affected by rules of warranty application,, upsell is not a Hyundai Motor control item.. Hyundai states that every car that enter service aisle is suppose to have VIN checked on Hyundai site for open recalls, and open recalls to be completed during that visit.. owner info should ideally be verified and corrected during that visit too
Dealer selling service is no different than any other local service center on the next corner, they there to make money,, hopefully in an honest fashion

·
22,788 Posts
Dealer selling service is no different than any other local service center on the next corner, they there to make money,, hopefully in an honest fashion
+1 Stated absolutely correct! It's the way of the business world: profit. You, the customer, must exercise good judgment and common sense where you spend those hard-earned dollars.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ill still use them for the tranny, because Im not driving an hour to get that done. And AFAIK, shops like Firestone do not carry the actual required fluid.
I know for a fact that our local Firestone uses SP III ATF and I have had two ATF exchanges performed there with no issues, for significantly cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a recent recall work performed and also filled out the email Hyundai survey to reflect what was was right and wrong and was very fair ..i was contacted by the shady service manager four hours later offering to replace the one missing lugnut with 30??? I chose to let the review stand for others to see...he can shove the "silence money" especially since he didn't give a crap when I called the very next day after the recall work addressing the issue...it is what it is.....btw, Valley Stream Hyundai

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
The only difference to me is when I take it there for a "repair", Ive generally researched it online and seen what other people paid. If its way high, I could say "no", but they have been inline on the repairs.
I think you missed my point. In your OP you stated the dealership tried to push an automatic transmission fluid change on you that you knew wasn't needed. How do you know they haven't pushed a repair on you before, or will in the future, that wasn't/isn't needed. For example, they could tell you something isn't working because an electrical part needs to be replaced for $350, when it's a loose wire that could have been reconnected for $100. Unless you can diagnose the problem, you don't know what the problem really is. You have to trust the dealer's diagnosis.

Can you trust this dealer's service department? I wouldn't.
John

·
Registered
920 Posts
I had a recent recall work performed and also filled out the email Hyundai survey to reflect what was was right and wrong and was very fair ..i was contacted by the shady service manager four hours later offering to replace the one missing lugnut with 30??? I chose to let the review stand for others to see...he can shove the "silence money" especially since he didn't give a crap when I called the very next day after the recall work addressing the issue...it is what it is.....btw, Valley Stream Hyundai
Have you had anymore shady workings there or just that one. I ask because Plaza Hyundai in Brooklyn is straight trash the way they run there service. And I am looking elsewhere. They and LIC Hyundai are ones I want to check out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts