Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone glad to be here. I am selling my 09 VW rabbit for a 4 door car. At first I was just going to look at civics and accords but now I've decided to broaden my horizons and look at Elantras. I'm going to spend between 3-4,000. I want a manual transmission. What do I need to know and look out for and how long lasting is the Elantras of these years. I look forward to anything info anyone can provide. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone glad to be here. I am selling my 09 VW rabbit for a 4 door car. At first I was just going to look at civics and accords but now I've decided to broaden my horizons and look at Elantras. I'm going to spend between 3-4,000. I want a manual transmission. What do I need to know and look out for and how long lasting is the Elantras of these years. I look forward to anything info anyone can provide. Thanks everyone
I'm actually on this forum trying to trouble shoot my Hyundai Elantra having the worst customer service of my life. They refuse to honor warranty and are telling me I need repairs over $2000. Car only has 57k miles bought certified pre owned. No one will call me back and they have refused to give me estimate in writing.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If u "like" road noise buy it. And its not the tires. No insulation!

·
Registered
76 Posts
We like our 2015 Elantra GLS with a 6-speed manual transmission. Purchased the car new and it currently has 122,000 miles. I do all my own maintenance and have changed oil/filter every 5000 miles since new. Car has always started and never broke down on the road. It does have a bit of road noise, but my wife just turns up the radio in response.

Repair work I've done:
Replaced front brake pads and calipers at 100,000 miles
Couple of engine air filters
Oil changes every 5000 miles

Repair work by Hyundai:
Replaced engine at 95,000 miles under warranty. The engine was always a bit noisy on startup, but it didn't concern me too much. As a precaution, had Hyundai service department eyeball before warranty expired. They replaced engine and put us in a new Sonata for duration of repair.

I'd be very careful selecting an Elantra to purchase used. If you find one that runs quietly on startup, that might be the way to go. Outside of the engine, the design and build are excellent.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a Hyundai-certified 2014 Elantra SE with only 26K on it in Feb 2018. It was made in Korea, and has an automatic.

In the two years since, the only problem we have had is the “zig-zag” steering problem where it won’t hold dead straight, with any correction overshooting which then requires opposite correction w/overshoot. I lubed the inner steering column, per a thread in this forum, which significantly reduced the problem.

The only maintenance items have been new air and cabin filters, a new AGM battery in 2019, and oil changes every 5K with 5W-20 full synthetic.

We haven’t noticed any road noise because of the tire noise. It came with cheap Chinese tires that are noisier than the General Altimax Artic snows I mounted on steel wheels for NH winters. We put up with the noise.

It has almost 50K miles now, and no sign of the infamous engine ticking problem.

Overall, we are very pleased with the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 2007 Elantra brand new. It only had 7 actual miles on it. It went 13 years with just regular maintenance, oil changes, tires, brakes. I sold it last month even though it still looked, drove, and ran like new because I wanted a change. I bought a used 2013 Elantra GLS and it was the biggest mistake ever. It is a TOTAL POS. It starts when it feels like it, the brakes (NEW BRAKES) grind, its not as comfortable as my 07, and Im sorry I bought it. Look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
We bought a CPO 2016 Elantra SE in the fall of 2018 with 18K miles. Replace the tires after one got the sidewall cut on a curb at 22K miles. The OEM tires were not that great. Now has about 35K on it with only a failed speaker which was replaced under warranty. Runs great, excellent fuel economy. Quiet with little road noise on the Michelin Defenders. Made in Alabama.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i bought my 2015 Elantra 1.8L brand new. Just turned 100K km this week , i have had zero issues. Regular service is the key as with any car so make absolutely sure its been properly maintained. My only concern is the cold weather start up racket the engine makes. Sounds like a diesel until it warms up but it runs good, doesn't burn any oil, and gives great fuel mileage. Overall i'm happy with the car so far

1 - 12 of 12 Posts