Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a MY10 i30 SLX, with a bit of an odd problem…

Just lately, I have noticed a nasty smell (not unlike stale urine…) coming from the fan/climate control vents, but this disappears as soon as the AC is switched on.

Does anyone know if the AC and regular fan have different air intakes on the car, and if so, where are they located? I'm trying to determine if it's something I can easily fix (e.g. a cat has peed on the air intake and I can wash/clean it) before I take it to someone I have to pay to investigate it…

Any thoughts/help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jon

·
22,788 Posts
G'day, mate. Not real up to speed on the i30. I believe it has a cabin air filter, yes? And if so, has it been changed recently, or ever? That smell you're alluding to would have a faint odor of "ammonia" if it was the cat that buggered up the thing.

Here's a link to help you along on that filter replacement. You do that and Bob's your Uncle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi. The i30 translates into the US Elantra GT. There is usually an air filter behind the glove box in these cars. Drop the glove box down for access to a couple of fittings at the back that are pushed down or turned, depending on model.

·
Registered
538 Posts
A cat peeing can't get into the actual A/C duct work, so a gentle hose down along the intake vents below the windscreen should remove any residue along there, bit of carwash detergent should be all you need. As for the cabin filter +1,000 on that one, they will go manky almost overnight once they get loaded with pollen, dust etc. All it takes is a bit of moisture and presto, biological experiment. The genuine filters seem to be filter only, I shopped around on Ebay and found a company in Sydney that sells Wesfill inserts, these seem to have carbon impregnated as well, it still took two or three days for all the manky smell to disappear but all good now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Yep, have had the filter done a couple of times, will look at it again.

So does the AC bypass this filter? Just wondering why I can't smell it when the AC is on...

·
Registered
91 Posts
The A/C does not bypass the filter. If the smell changes between heat and A/C and you are not also toggling the recirculate function then my thoughts are that the smell is coming from something on the heater core as it is out of the airflow path when the A/C is on.

·
Registered
722 Posts
knightowl, hi.

Please be aware, you appear to have provided a solution to a question posted almost 2.5 years ago. With that in mind, I'm now closing this thread to any further posts.

Regards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.