Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. I'd like to take a minute and ask for guidance from the great members of this forum. Hopefully one of you has been down this road before.

I recently purchased a 2011 Equus Ultimate and identified the following problems:
1) Seized engine (driven without oil)
2) Damaged Crossmember Assy-Front (engine cradle)
3) Two cut air suspension air lines. They run along the front of the
Crossmember Assy. Air Tube-Comp To Rsvr and Air Tube-Sol Front, LH

I have also purchased a 2011 Equus Signature for use as a parts donor to repair the Ultimate. If all goes well the repair will be pristine, as good as it came from the factory. That's the plan anyway.

My question is how would you recommend removing the engine and transmission? Documentation I have found online is for the 5.0L cars but instructs to remove the trans and then lower the engine and cradle out the bottom by raising the car. I suspect it is the same for the 4.6L cars. I have two problems with this plan. I don't have immediate access to a proper lift but this can be overcome if necessary. The other item is separating the engine and trans. With the engine seized I can't rotate the crank to remove all of the torque converter/flex plate bolts. Currently the upper and lower engine oil pans have been removed along with three of the converter bolts. I'm thinking of reinstalling the converter bolts and removing the trans leaving the torque converter attached to the engine. Hopefully there is enough room to do this without damaging either the converter or trans.

My preference for removing the engine is out the top with the front body clip removed. I already own an engine lift (cherry picker) and there looks to be sufficient room. Anyone have experience with this? Will it fit and can you get at the motor mounts or should I go out the bottom? Will have to remove/replace the engine cradle either way.

Looking forward to hearing all opinions, well maybe except for "Just get rid of it." That's not an option. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Engine removal is best done on rack froom underside

Total disaster all way around

I have a V8 Genesis to deal with for chains,, waiting for it to spontanious combust when I aint looking..

Dealt with converter bolts on 3.8 Genesis, had to partil take apart bottom to free up to rotate to get at bolts,, more fun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi sbr711,
I was hoping you would reply but I didn't expect a response so quickly. Thank you.

Out the bottom wasn't what I was hoping to hear. I guess it is what it is. I'll have to start thinking more that direction.

The upper and lower oil pans are off because I was thinking the same as you on the 3.8 Genesis. When I got the pans off, I was very impressed with the girdle system. I was expecting plain old main caps. It was then that I realized how difficult it was going to be to get at some of the bolts, especially the rod bolts and started having thoughts of pistons welded to the cylinder walls and stopped. Guess I'll revisit that direction and see where it takes me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know how the engine, flex plate, and torque converter are balanced? Are they each balanced individually (hopefully) or is the flex plate balanced with either the engine or torque converter and must remain with and aligned to that unit? I would prefer to not find out the hard way by inducing an unwanted vibration. Thanks in advance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts