Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm going to look at. 2005 accent gls 4 door today. The car has 45k and the owner is asking 3600. From the pics the car is very clean and the owner says he has service records. I consider myself a car guy however I'm looking for advice from people who have owned these cars.

I am looking for a small fuel efficient car for work that has 4 doors and this car fits that bill. The one concern I have is that I hear these automatic transmission accents have problems. My question is are all of these cars doomed to have automatics fail eventually? What other problems should I look for? Are you guys happy with these cars?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
for that price if its clean, not bad. i would ask for some sort of vehicle history report such as carfax. you want to see the maintenance records to verify that it was taken care of.

possible problems:
- yes the auto trans is known to go prematurely. i'm not sure how widespread the problems are, but it is well known. i don't think its too terrible to fix, do some searching.

- if original, the intake manifold gaskets tend to leak causing misfires and EVAP codes. very easy to fix, new gasket is not expensive.

- if the original owner has 'topped up' gas tank after pump clicks/stops when filling, it can cause the EVAP charcoal canister to fail.

- rust is common. bottom of doors and rear wheel wells are the usual suspects.

- sometimes relays can fail causing the car to turn over fine but not start in damp/cool weather. fix is easy, just takes some effort to find the right realy.

- front brakes can sometimes seize causing premature pad failure...not overly common but does happen. the slide pin design is ass...

- manual transmissions are pretty solid, but clutch bearings tend to fail. i have a suspicion as to why...thats another story.

- oil pans can rust out as the car gets older, common to all hyundai models of this era. its not hard to replace.

- exhaust flex pipe has a habit of rusting through and breaking once or twice in the life of the car.

once you get past these issues, the LC accent is a very solid car. if cared for, the engine is incredibly solid. i have personally seen several with well over 400k kms still running fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.