Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, switched over to all season tires today, and noticed the oil stain on the "boots" when taking off front wheels (both of them), can anyone point to me what is this? How serious and how much I'll be looking at,
This is a 2009 Hyundai Sonata.
Thanks a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Looks to me like you have a little seepage of the grease in the rack and pinion. Honestly, with that little grease on the boots, I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. When you start seeing it worse (or much fresher looking) then maybe take a look at it. I'm not sure if that is a serviceable part or not. I would guess it is, but I have no idea what a shop would charge to replace them. Again, honestly, I would just make sure there isn't a split in the boot or hole in the boot, clean it all up and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot for the reply.
I'll check again with the car on the ramp in a couple days to make sure no split in the boot.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Steering rack boots can be changed.
The outer tie rod would have to be removed and then the boot can be slipped off the inner tie rod end and replaced.
Yours look like they are still in decent shape but I would keep an eye on them and check for cracking like you plan on doing.
Every oil change I would just take a look at the steering rack boots and your CV boots.

Sure looks like you live in a snow area because your outer tie rod ends are pretty rusty, along with the lower wishbone on the strut.
If you do replace the steering rack boot I would definitely replace the outer tie rod as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, a lot of snow from where I live ( Calgary, Canada), especially last year.
Got a chance to put the car on the ramp and took a good look. don't see any obvious tear in the boots, and it seems left side is worse than the right side, grease/oil seems more fresh.
I did check the PSF level again and it seems fine, I'm going to get a bottle of PSF from the dealership and put it in the car just in case.
Also the rust seems much worse on the left side as well, not sure why.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts