Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just spent 2 days "diagnosing" what was wrong with my A/C fan. It wouldnt turn on when you flick the switch around. So I checked all the fuses, replaced any required. Pulled out the centre control panel and unplugged the AC fan switch. Worked out the wiring of the switch then cross wired the terminals to use the direct line to the fan motor. Fan motor wouldn't go. Checked if direct power to the fan would make the fan go and it did. So then investigated for faulty relays. Tried lighting a 12v bulb using the wiring from the switch plug and this made the fan relay click. So assumed relay was stuffed and bought a replacement. Put it in, still no go. My dad began assuming a fusible link must be stuffed. Meantime, I had a look online on how to read wiring diagrams because we had the gregory manual one. Watched a video about diagnosing electrical faults in cars and learnt to start at the load (the fan) and work your way back to the power source checking any connections and fuses on each side as you go.

Going back to the car I looked at the switch wires, then at the wires at the fan. It went from 6 wires to 2 wires. Logically there must have been a connector bewteen there somewhere. Investigation (upside down) under the dash revealed a single, 2 wire plug that was disconnected. That was the whole cause of the problem of the fan no working. I had not put it back when removing hte dash to get at the heater unit months ago.

So my advice for diagnosing electrical faults is to start at the load and work your way back checking everything as you go. I can save you a lot of pain and time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts