Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sonata Limited with the automatic headlights. They used to work great, but now they are not sensitive enough.

I live in the state of Virginia where the inspection sticker used to be centered in the lower section of the windshield, right above where the sensor is. Now the law changed and going forward the inspection sticker is put in the lower left corner of the windshield. Ever since the sticker moved, my sensor does not seem as sensitive and many times I have to manually turn on my lights before its dark enough for auto headlights to kick on (which then leads me to forget turning them back off again)

Aside from putting some kind of paper or sticker back in that location, does anyone know if there are any settings to adjust or recalibrate the sensitivity of the light senor?

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
So... you got used to the sticker causing the sensor to think it is darker than it really is and now that the sticker is gone, it is working as it should have from the start. I haven't seen anywhere that it can be calibrated or adjusted. Put another sticker or piece of paper or something else translucent over the sensor(maybe some window tint).

Reactions: solman98

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Unless it's different on yours, if I leave my headlights on, they turn off automatically when NOT on auto setting.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata Limited with the automatic headlights. They used to work great, but now they are not sensitive enough.

I live in the state of Virginia where the inspection sticker used to be centered in the lower section of the windshield, right above where the sensor is. Now the law changed and going forward the inspection sticker is put in the lower left corner of the windshield. Ever since the sticker moved, my sensor does not seem as sensitive and many times I have to manually turn on my lights before its dark enough for auto headlights to kick on (which then leads me to forget turning them back off again)

Aside from putting some kind of paper or sticker back in that location, does anyone know if there are any settings to adjust or recalibrate the sensitivity of the light senor?

Thanks,

Scott
A couple things. The lights are turning on when they are supposed to. Aslo, the lights should turn off automatically regardless after 30 seconds of ignition switch shut down. Wait and see if the lights turn off by themselves. If not, the module may need to be flashed. Should be fine though.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I wish there was a way to adjust that electric eye too. Live in a hilly area, after 5 PM, even in the summer.. lights on, turn a corner and lights off. I wonder if there was a way to remove that dark plastic cover. On auto, the lights will turn off after a certain time. Some upgraded models have settings to turn off that timing feature.

The killer is most cars have their electric eye there, so most Virginia cars have that problem. Maybe a reflective tube to that eye ? Try some aluminum foil.

My cars are in garages and when on auto, they always turned on the headlights, but these are HID. I didn't want them turning on 500 times a year for 45 seconds while I backed out and drove into the garage. I tried a number of different lights shining on that electric eye. Nope, they still turn on the headlights. I even tried a fish tank light and a greenhouse light (natural light), nope.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So... you got used to the sticker causing the sensor to think it is darker than it really is and now that the sticker is gone, it is working as it should have from the start. I haven't seen anywhere that it can be calibrated or adjusted. Put another sticker or piece of paper or something else translucent over the sensor(maybe some window tint).
If this is how its "supposed to work from the start" then I would argue is has been broken all this time. When I had the sticker there, they turned on and off at perfect times. Now, they only come on when it gets really dark. I'd rather have the lights turn on early then too late. The car is way out of warranty, or otherwise I'd bring it into the dealer to look at.

That sucks there is not a way to adjust the sensitivity. I guess I will look at some kind of discreet sticker or reflector of a smaller size to see if I can get it working better like it did before

Thanks for everyone's responses!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I agree that the auto headlights on my Sonata wait too long to come on. Most of the other cars on the road have their headlights on for some time before the ones on the Sonata come on. It would bother me more if it didn't have driving lights on at least. My other three cars all have auto headlight too, and all of them come one a good bit before the Sonata's do. They come on at about the same time as everyone else is turning their lights on.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If this is how its "supposed to work from the start" then I would argue is has been broken all this time. When I had the sticker there, they turned on and off at perfect times. Now, they only come on when it gets really dark. I'd rather have the lights turn on early then too late. The car is way out of warranty, or otherwise I'd bring it into the dealer to look at.

That sucks there is not a way to adjust the sensitivity. I guess I will look at some kind of discreet sticker or reflector of a smaller size to see if I can get it working better like it did before

Thanks for everyone's responses!
If you believe it is not activating your headlights at a safe amount of light and that it is malfunctioning, then you can always replace the sensor with a new one. They, from what I have seen before, are not expensive. If it remedies the situation then great, if not then you can always go back to the old ways of turning them on and off manually, or at least auto and force them on earlier if you need them before the auto would turn them on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts