Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata with just 31k miles, I bought a sand tube for the winter weighs about 50 lbs and is
sealed at both ends. I wrapped a blanket around the tube and placed it in the center of the trunk. it's amazing
the ride is much better., The car doesn't bounce around on our rough roads anymore and seems to ride smoother.
I keep my tires at 30lbs all around as stated on the door panel. maybe I stumbled on something that's a cheap fix.
I read the posts about hash rides but I understand that this is a economy car. By the way my 2000 Buick rode much
harder so this car is a treat to drive around.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm just wondering why you would add the extra weight?

Car is front wheel drive so adding weight in the rear just makes it harder to get going if you are in snow. If normal driving it's an extra 50 pounds to just haul around. Do you have it so that you can take some out and use it for slippery driveways etc.? Keep your gas tank full (approx. 6 lbs/gal for gas) and you'll have that weight back there anyway.

I've seen MANY pickups and rear wheel drive cars where people add weight to get some extra traction for winter. Myself with all my rear wheel drive cars and a pickup, once I had my winter tires on there was no problem except in turns on the P/U and even then it was minimal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Sequoiasoon @ Dec 13 2010, 02:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379263
I'm just wondering why you would add the extra weight?

Car is front wheel drive so adding weight in the rear just makes it harder to get going if you are in snow. If normal driving it's an extra 50 pounds to just haul around. Do you have it so that you can take some out and use it for slippery driveways etc.? Keep your gas tank full (approx. 6 lbs/gal for gas) and you'll have that weight back there anyway.

I've seen MANY pickups and rear wheel drive cars where people add weight to get some extra traction for winter. Myself with all my rear wheel drive cars and a pickup, once I had my winter tires on there was no problem except in turns on the P/U and even then it was minimal.
The added weight was a test to see if the ride improved. It has because we have terrible roads here very washboard and
bumpy. The added weight stopped the rear end bouncing. I do keep the tank filled and the tires at 30 psi cold. If I add
more like 32 psi cold the ride is terrible. This car has been flawless and has 31k miles. I have also found that You can
start out in drive 2 really helps when slippery and our drive by wire touchy gas pedal. Just a tip that i am passing around.

·
Banned
4,119 Posts
Why the surprise, guys? Haven't you noticed that after filling up your gas tank -- your car rides better? Of course, if you load 5 obese people, and the trunk is filled with lead, the car will feel heavy and sluggish, but driving alone, there is a definite improvement with the gas tank full.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts