Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been perusing the tech diagrams on HMA Service and it seems possible. I know some OEM navi systems are so integrated and involved that a simple "swap" from a non-navi to a navi unit is impossible. However if this is a self-contained unit, it should be possible with a little elbow grease right? Anyone have knowledge of the electrical systems? I have been looking for the part but I assume I would be able to purchase from the dealer if necessary...

I ran into a USB connector on the navi unit not on the regular audio units... any idea what this may be for?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The other potential issue is the GPS and if it's built inside the unit or does it use a external antenna mounted somewhere else.

But if you can find all the right trim pieces to make it work, it could be possible. I'm thinking the USB is for upgrading the maps. Cause if you go to update map on the system it asks for a USB stick.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This came up once before and although yes, it would be possible, it would be prohibitively expensive. Unless you were lucky enough to find a wrecked car and get all the trim pieces, electronics, and such, you're better off with an external GPS.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My advice is to stick with an aftermarket unit, either installed in dash, or a portable.
They will cost much less.

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Oct 31 2010, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367697
My advice is to stick with an aftermarket unit, either installed in dash, or a portable.
They will cost much less.
Ditto. If you can get an aftermarket unit that fits nicely in the dash and it NAV is what you are after then aftermarket is the way to go. It is way more capable, easier and a LOT cheaper to upgrade, provides more navigation functions such as adding your own POI's, navigate to a lat long coordinate value etc. The OEM is nice as a radio/ media interface and a backup camera in the limited, but as a Nav I rate it a lot lower than a $100 Tom Tom Unit.

·
Registered
623 Posts
With enough money anything is possible...

·
Registered
424 Posts
aftermarket in dash double din navi units would be very difficult to integrate. they do make a kit
for it but you have to re-wire a lot of things and use the mini plug adapter input to get voice audio out of the headunit....mind you this would not replace the integrated unit but rather will be a add on.

I didn't realize the stock oem navi was that bad, I have a garmin nuvi 1450 and it's one of the best navi I've used. It's very simple, fast and accurate.

it would be nice if there was a way to hang mount a portable unit on the console door right above where the usb ac adapter plugs are located.

·
Registered
185 Posts
QUOTE (mayasonata @ Nov 2 2010, 01:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=368195
aftermarket in dash double din navi units would be very difficult to integrate. they do make a kit
for it but you have to re-wire a lot of things and use the mini plug adapter input to get voice audio out of the headunit....mind you this would not replace the integrated unit but rather will be a add on.

I didn't realize the stock oem navi was that bad, I have a garmin nuvi 1450 and it's one of the best navi I've used. It's very simple, fast and accurate.

it would be nice if there was a way to hang mount a portable unit on the console door right above where the usb ac adapter plugs are located.
They make a double din kit that pushes the oem radio/ac controls down further to the bottom of the waterfall. Im planning on do this to my non oem NAV SE, I just need it for the navigation. I'm planning on flush mounting a speaker in the headliner just for the GPS Voice output.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anybody ever find a solution to this?

I just bought a sonata yesterday.... and was hoping to add navigation. My dealer gave me the contact for a guy who charges about 1500 and you get the OEM Nav with backup camera.... and then I’m seeing OEM or OEM style Navs for 500-700 online... like this one
8.0" 2 Din Car DVD Player for HYUNDAI SONATA with 3G WIFI DVB-T IPOD GPS Bluetooth AVIN RDS (EMS Shipping) EF456X - $597.44 - Affordable GPS DVD Players
but can’t find much information on how the install works

Or if any of you have done a good solid attractive in-dash setup and are pumped on it, I’d like to know what you did.

Thanks in advance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts