Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a Hidden Hitch class 3 hitch from etrailer.com (about 175$ shipped).

First, clean the threads on the mounting points. If they are reasonably clean, just use one of the supplied bolts and run it in and back out.
The hitch weighs about 45 lbs, I used a floor jack to support it during the installation, raising it just enough to steady the hitch so that I could still position it.
You will need to push the exhaust cans out of the way slightly to get the mounting flanges against the frame, they move easily.
Once you've got the holes lined up, hand thread the bolt/lock washer/load plate into each hole. I used threadlocker, but it's probably not necessary.
Center the hitch and push it forward as far as you can, then tighten the forward bolt on each side snug.
The aft bolts are pain, you WILL need a universal joint to tighten them, as it's not a straight shot, and there isn't enough room to get a ratchet in the space available. Once you've got those snug, go back and torque them down (the instructions say 89 ft lbs as I recall).

Several lighting choices are available, I won't be covering that here.

See photos:
The box...

The Hitch..

Bolts, lock washers, load plate...

Clearance for spare tire, not sure on this, haven't tried to lower the spare..

All done...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I prefer to run a 10x1.25 tap up through the holes first to cut out any debris that might have collected already (rust) and have fresh clean tresd so bolt just spins in smooth instead of binding :grin:

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's exactly the same hitch that I installed on my '08 2.7L last year. Got it from the same place. Working great. I mostly use it for a bike carrier, but I have small 4x8 trailer that I've also used.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
QUOTE (pen411 @ Jun 12 2010, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332467
Recently got a Hidden Hitch class 3 hitch from etrailer.com (about 175$ shipped).
I see that you have wisely already mounted a full size spare to replace the Space Saver disaster that they ship with these vehicles -- and I would have guessed the clearance would be mighty tight there in the rear. That was my only concern when I mounted a full size spare on my '08. Have you tried to drop your spare, and how's the real clearance with this model of hitch? All the photo says is "tight!"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually that was the spare it had when I bought it, perhaps the previous owner changed it.

I didn't try to drop the spare, but from the look of it, it just means the front will drop first until it clears the hitch.

Light kit comes tomorrow, but it's pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
91 Posts
FYI, and for anyone considering this, it's easier to install the wiring harness before you install the hitch. It can be done either way, just fewer things in the way if you do the wiring first.

It would help if you had an extra wrist joint also!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found it just the opposite, having the hitch in place let me know exactly where the wires needed to go, and gave me a place to mount the little converter box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts