Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm planning to add cruise control to my 2019 Elantra since the base model doesn't have it.
I managed to take a picture of it, but couldn't get the part number, could anyone help me with that?
I need this specific model if possible.

Thanks.
900x870-1_-dx62434FX1H22V.jpg

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
This really tees me off especially the way some cops are today, can you believe $200.00 court cost for going 3 mph over the limit down a steep grade. You need cruise control, should be looking out the window and not starring at your speedometer.

This may help.

Can always contact the seller, most are knowledgeable. Did this for my daughters Kia Soul base model that those crooked marketing left off. Just graduated from college, has loans, and needed a reliable vehicle to go to work.

Found one like this on ebay, but the switch was only 15 bucks, another 30 for the required cable. Told my gals not to interrupt me, removed her steering wheel and studied it, was obvious where the switch goes and where the cable plugs in. Took it for a test drive, cruise light lit up on the dash and said set. Could tap on the resume or set switch to increase or decrease the speed by 1 mph each click.

All Hyundai and Kia dealers know about this, but will lose their dealership if they told their customers, this is dirty pool. Was told by her dealer to go to a place in Milwaukee and pay 800 bucks to have cruise control added.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^
I really appreciate your help, it seems that it's the correct cruise control for my car, but it's slightly different if you notice.
The one that I want has TRIP and RESET buttons while the one in eBay has OK and arrows.
Of course it fits, but will it work?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
What do you have in your steering wheel? Never looked at one, in the Soul was a plastic blank plate that snapped out. One shown in ebay is exactly like the one in my 2017, top button is Cruise, have to tap that on and will get a SET light on the dash, bottom switch just cancels the cruise, but not the last set speed. Have to be at leat 19 mph, to push that toggle in the center down to set it or at any speed, pulsing it, drops in 1 mph increments. Upward one pulse will set it to the last preset speed like 25 mph, if you had to stop and wanted to set cruise again.

Switch on the left selects trip odometers and fuel miles remaining.

Drove 17 years without cruise, high school, military, college, and first engineering job with a lot of travel. First one was in my 1970 Buick Riviera, that spoiled me for life. Won't even purchase a vehicle without cruise unless somehow I can add it.

Actually in my 30's and 40's cars, beside a choke puller, had a throttle lever. You could pull that out for your speed, but will slow down up a hill, and speed up down. They dropped this in around 1949.

These new vehicles with throttle by wire, have a motor in the TB controlled by a rheostat on the gas pedal that is converted to digital by the ECU, that already know the vehicle speed stored in memory, just a few more bytes in memory and a short program, so all the ingredients are there, just need a switch to switch it over. Crime they leave this switch off.

Back then a cop had to trail and clock you to get a ticket, if you saw a cop in your rear view mirror, and too stupid to slow down, deserved that ticket. Now a hidden camera can do the same thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just wanted to let you know that my base manual was a direct swap with no extra wiring needed. The steering wheel does need to come off, but the overall process isn't that hard.

I have the one that you are talking about, all the buttons function the same, they just don't have the correct words listed.
20190414_091731.jpg

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
If like that Kia, had to remove the air bag first, so first step was to remove the battery connections and wait awhile. Use to have to find the wires powering the airbag and short it out with a resistor to discharge the capacitor, but most now have that resistor, no hurry, let it sit for 15-20 minutes.

The steering wheel was keyed, will only go on one way.

This is not a job for the timid or carelessness. some rather poor statistics, more children killed by these things than people saved from not wearing safety belts, also more people wounded some bad, by working on them.

Also unfair to that Japanese company being sued making these things. The vehicle vendor decides how to mount it and how much stuff and how it is put over it, like the horn button for instance.

Also not good to be short, good friend, 5'3" with a fender bender going around a corner, car was pulling out, triggered his airbag, broke his neck and was in the hospital for six months. My wife is only 5'2"!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will admit to taking a ton of caution when dealing with the airbag.

I was just verifying that it would work as it should (well, it did on mine and mines a manual so I imagine that any US model is like that.)

·
Registered
664 Posts
There are some good YouTube videos on removing the airbag from a Hyundai. The one I followed was for my daughter's Tucson, but it would be similar here. Once you have disconnected the battery for some time (can't remember if it was 10 minutes or 30 minutes), you can use a long screwdriver and just insert it into the 4 little holes (2 on each side) in the back of the steering wheel behind the airbag. Inside each of these holes, there is a spring-loaded metal tab. These tabs hold the air bag on. Once you have "popped" all four of them, the air bag simply comes out. You then disconnect the wires and place it safely away.

You will need to take precautions to ensure that you don't have any static electricity discharge, and just to be safe, place it in a location away from everything, just in case for some strange reason it goes off.

But the first step is to search for those YouTube videos. If there isn't one specific to the Elantra, the ones for other models should be sufficient, because the airbag is attached the same way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I only remember 3 holes, but I could be wrong. As mentioned, watch a YouTube video to show you the best way, I think there is one for the 2017 or 18.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 3 holes are where the airbag access points are. I took a bunch of pictures but I don't have context to any of them, so they seem kind of useless. I'll look through them and see if I can remember why I was taking the picture.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Please forgive the crudeness. The red lines are directed at the areas where the holes are located, for the airbag releases. The white lines are where the screws are to remove the plastic back (note it's a full one piece unit and you have to take it off to get to the screws for the cruise control.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can't imagine why, it's a factory piece and as long as you have taken everything apart and put it back together properly then you didn't have an affect on any warranty claim. Plus, I doubt anyone notices, frankly. They don't see many manual transmission vehicles so every car they see has it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it installed today. I decided to save some money and install my self with the help of those who replied and a couple of YouTube videos. I tested it, and it works flawlessly. Thank you, everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts