Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post (go easy on me lol) and I just picked up my first Hyundai a few nights ago (2020 Sonata Hybrid Limited). I think the sound system is great but an 8" sub is not my thing (it's okay if its yours though). My other vehicle is a Q50S with Bose, I had a PAC LOC integrated into the factory harness in the trunk, the rear speaker was tapped and the power wire was run to the 12v battery in the engine compartment. I then added my Massive BP2000.1 amp and 2 12's, everything worked and sounded well. Pull the old system out and put it in my new Sonata, easy day, right?

Enter my new hybrid, there's no regular 12V battery in the engine compartment (am I wrong?), just the Lithium Ion battery under the backseat.

1. How would one run power to the amp with that type of battery or is there some magic up front in the engine bay?
2. Has anyone here added an amp and sub to the 2020 hybrid with Bose?
3. Are there any places to get the service manuals for free? I saw the Hyundai subscription service and was bummed a bit as there are tons of free resources for my Q50.

I went to a car stereo shop to have it installed but they lost their credibility with me when they tried to sell me a $24 LOC that I already had for $84 dollars after trying to make it sound super fancy. The installer went on to brag about putting equipment in Lambos and high end cars but was very pushy about making me pre-pay (about $300 in labor only) before I even scheduled an appointment. Ultimately if I have to, I will take it to a shop (not that same one) but I prefer to do it myself as the labor rates/prices are much higher than the state I just left, no one takes better care than you and I'd hate to see scratches and scuffs on a 4 day old car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just got my 2021 Sonata hybrid limited. About 5 days ago.
Traded in a 2016 Prius level 4 touring.

When we had power failures at home I used a 1200 watt inverter to power my LR with the big TV, dvr, cable box, a few LED table lamps.etc.

I Picked up the 12V power under the hood at the Battery jump terminals.on the Prius.
The Hyundai also has the 12 volt battery jump under the hood too.
System off, I measure 13,8 volts at the + connector and ground. The 13.8 is high compared to lead acid. But because its lithium you have a few more volts.

You probably can power your sound systems from there too. I haven't tried it on my Sonata yet. The way the Prius powered the 12V aux battery was through a DC to DC converter from the 220 volt battery down to 13.8. charging volts for the 12 v aux battery..

Re my Sonata, before I load it I want to find out what the fuse rating on the DC-DC converter is that provides the charge .from the traction battery. The Prius fuse was at 125 amps. So in theory, 14V x 125 amps -1750 watts. So I used a smaller inverter of 1200 watts to be on the safe side.

Before I owned the car, the salesman asked the techs what was the fuse rating was on the Sonata hybrid? He said 150 amps. But I want to confirm it before I load up the terminals.

During a home power outage, I would tum on the hybrid system, turn off climate control and lights.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts