Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kicking my self for not purchasing the nav/sunroof package with my sonata. I HAD to have the car the weekend I went auto shopping, lol. I have upgraded the audio and now I am debating on adding an aftermarket sunroof. I have done ton's of research on the net. There are alot of pro's and con's both ways. I live in Dallas, Tx. There are not many places in my area that sell aftermarket sunroofs. I did find an installer who will put in a Webasto brand sunroof for $1200+tax. He said it will look as good as factory. I really would like to add one, but I want to make sure I make the right descision since i will be keeping this car for a long time.

I respect the opinion of the members here. What do ya'll think? Has anyone had one installed?

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (crpediem_2 @ May 12 2010, 01:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322134
I am kicking my self for not purchasing the nav/sunroof package with my sonata. I HAD to have the car the weekend I went auto shopping, lol. I have upgraded the audio and now I am debating on adding an aftermarket sunroof. I have done ton's of research on the net. There are alot of pro's and con's both ways. I live in Dallas, Tx. There are not many places in my area that sell aftermarket sunroofs. I did find an installer who will put in a Webasto brand sunroof for $1200+tax. He said it will look as good as factory. I really would like to add one, but I want to make sure I make the right descision since i will be keeping this car for a long time.

I respect the opinion of the members here. What do ya'll think? Has anyone had one installed?

I am all for mods and upgrades but I don't think I would trust anyone cut into sheetmetal of my brand new Sonata. A sunroof is a nice feature but how is anyone able to duplicate the motorized sunroof that slides back into the roof sheetmetal?
Don't do it! Enjoy your new car?

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ May 12 2010, 01:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322150
I am all for mods and upgrades but I don't think I would trust anyone cut into sheetmetal of my brand new Sonata. A sunroof is a nice feature but how is anyone able to duplicate the motorized sunroof that slides back into the roof sheetmetal?
I didn't realize until just the other day that it actually goes back into the roof panel. All of my other cars the glass extended upward and over the back of the roof. This is actually kind of cool because it is noticeably less wind noise and turbulance inside the car with it open. You also can't even tell its open from the outside unless you're close enough to be looking down at the roof (or you have it tilted open).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just live with the sunroof-less car. Less to clean, less to break, and it reduces cornering flex a little by not having one. Always had ones on previous cars but hardly used them to justify their price.

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ May 12 2010, 12:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322150
I agree that cutting a hole in the roof for an aftermarket sunroof wouldn't be something I would do. Sunroofs are nice but I don't think you can get the same fit/finish of a factory unit. I love my sunroof and use it a lot so when I went shopping for my new car that was one thing it had to have ! It does add to the cost but for me it's worth it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have it done by a pro who knows what he is doing. With right parts and workmanship, its not a big deal. After all, its not a rocket science?
Ever watched Pimp my ride and overhaulin? It all depends on the workmanship. No biggie.

·
Registered
650 Posts
It can be done. A place near me actually does Factory cars, the dealerships send the cars there to get a sunroof feature for extra cash in their pockets.

Look around for the best warranty.

This place I'm talking about actually has a lifetime warranty. So you can tell they know what their doing. Just look around before actually doing it

·
1,914 Posts
I had a sunroof installed on my 07 Sonata. It was a webasto and it was $900. That same sunroof is now $1,200 but it is definitely worth it. It looks factory and has some pretty cool features. Just be careful and like everyone else says, make sure you find a place that knows what they are doing. We had a sunroof installed on a Tucson the other day and it looked horrible! You could see the glue all around the molding and there was actually a space under it. Webasto does look the best from what I have seen. Sol-air( i think that's what it's called) is pretty good too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ May 13 2010, 06:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322440
I had a sunroof installed on my 07 Sonata. It was a webasto and it was $900. That same sunroof is now $1,200 but it is definitely worth it. It looks factory and has some pretty cool features. Just be careful and like everyone else says, make sure you find a place that knows what they are doing. We had a sunroof installed on a Tucson the other day and it looked horrible! You could see the glue all around the molding and there was actually a space under it. Webasto does look the best from what I have seen. Sol-air( i think that's what it's called) is pretty good too.

So, they can actually do a factory grade power sliding/tilting sunroof that goes back under the sheetmetal? Or is it just a pop-up deal?

·
1,914 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ May 13 2010, 03:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322576
So, they can actually do a factory grade power sliding/tilting sunroof that goes back under the sheetmetal? Or is it just a pop-up deal?
It doesn't look exactly like factory, but pretty close. Ask to see examples. To answer your question, yes they slide into the sheetmetal and tilt. The one I had, was auto open and close and had 2 buttons which you could program them to open all the way, half way, or pretty much wherever you want. It also had a feature where when you took the key out of the ignition, it would close the roof.

·
Registered
268 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ May 12 2010, 02:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322150
When i bought my 08 sonata i had the bottom of the line and i wanted a sunroof. When we talked to the dealer they said that all Hyundais are assembled in the states and when cars are ordered with a sunroof they are actually cut after the fact. So the dealer sent out my sonata and got it done it cost about $500 and a weekend for them to do it. But when i picked it up it had the same controls and everything as the sunroofs that came stock on the other sonatas.

I also had this done on my car that i had before i got my 2011 sonata and it didnt have the same controls as others but i had no problems what so ever and i must say i used it alot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks a lot for the replys. Most people just say they leake and leave it at that. it's nice to hear some real world experiences both positive and negative. I am going to go a place in Dallas that specializes in aftermarket sunroof installations. It received great reviews and has been open for a while.

http://www.asudallas.com/sunroof-pricing.htm

or does anyone have a suggestion in Dallas,Tx.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts