Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SE 2.4 AWD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really dumb question here...

I've got the SE, base model Santa Fe. This version lacks the ability to switch between the different drive modes (comfort, sport, eco).

Let's say I found a switch at a junk yard from the higher trim version (e.g. Ultimate) for this control. If I popped it into my car... do you think I'd magically have the ability to access this feature?

If you look at the switch assembly, it's a simple molex style connector (see image). I'm guessing that Hyundai uses the same wiring harness in ALL cars and simply leaves out the features by leaving out access to them (in some cases, not all).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I highly doubt it. Drive modes would be programmed in to the ECU. Additionally, the car wouldn't know how to display the drive mode on an SE.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Minor features on the Sonata have been done(paddle shifters) I would look for the mating plug, and if installed you could try it. Hyundai does not nesessariply use the same wiring harness, The nav system conversion from no nav to nav, have been problematic for many that have tried

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Get a TROS Potent Booster for a great add on drive mode thing. Really transforms the car. Plug and play. It gives you about 20 different drive modes.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
652 Posts
Doon makes a great case for never buying the lowest level model of vehicle. Next he’ll be wanting a sunroof and power tailgate.
I always go for the top trim.
Different trim get different software version or the same version but with different configuration. Ie, any diy add-on that requires support from the carputer will not work. Do you really think auto manufacturers would have this backdoor open for diyers?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I highly doubt it. Drive modes would be programmed in to the ECU. Additionally, the car wouldn't know how to display the drive mode on an SE.
True... although, the center console screen does show me the three drive modes. I can't cycle between them. They are there, but greyed out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always go for the top trim.
Different trim get different software version or the same version but with different configuration. Ie, any diy add-on that requires support from the carputer will not work. Do you really think auto manufacturers would have this backdoor open for diyers?
One can dream, no? Even pipe dreams.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe SE (Earthy Bronze) with factory trailer hitch.
49 Posts
I'm with Doon on this question. I also have the base SE, and there are drive mode displays, but it is stuck in comfort. No way to toggle through them, unless you had the buttons for it.... Why would it display them if they were not there. If the ECU's are all the same just with "blockers" for certain features that are unlocked in the upper trims. It would be cheaper for manufacturers to program all the ECU's the same, and then cap them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes on my Gen Coupe. Ten minute plug and ply install and the first mod one should do with a car with electronic throttle control. It's drive mode on steroids. You will get better gas mileage too. Electronic Throttle Controller, Potent Booster, Jump Starter | TROS Manufacturer
Hello, new user with a 2019 Santa Fe SE as well. Came across this thread and checked TROS website. Can you advise from where you got this controller and what's the best one for Santa Fe as they make several products.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Hello, new user with a 2019 Santa Fe SE as well. Came across this thread and checked TROS website. Can you advise from where you got this controller and what's the best one for Santa Fe as they make several products.
Here's where I got mine and you can ask them which one to get. They have an 8 drive out now too. You will probably settle on three settings. So paying for more is not really worth it if the cost is higher.

Here is the manufacturer's site. I have the TS series one.

·
Registered
6 Hyundais and a couple of horses.
262 Posts
If it's like downhill brake control, everything is in place whereby you can add the switch and enable it. Hyundai won't fix it if it breaks though. You may have paid for the part, but you didn't pay for the support of that part.

Usually, at least lately, the trend is towards PnP in the auto software industry. If the device or devices exist, functionality is enabled. Now, if the device happens to be a switch, such as the Drive Mode switch, the ECU should understand on start that it exists, and if other parts of the system are in place to enable the functionality, it should work. It seems obvious, but I'm pointing out a philosophy.

It should automatically work if all the pieces are in place. Programmers tend not to disable software functions any more, they simply poll for devices and then configure for those devices.

Now, most manufacturers are not going to put the costly "pieces" on a lower trim model if they're not needed (AWD, duh), but they're certainly not going to run around disabling stuff because you didn't pay for it up front. They'll put what is needed, and if you want to add that other stuff later, well, that's on you.

BECAUSE: The cost to the manufacturer for part A vs. SUPER SPECIAL part B isn't but a difference of a few cents at most, in cases such as yours, where it's likely that everything is in place except the button. It's not like AWD, where there's a bunch of costly supporting hardware. You're not paying for that part when you pay for the higher trim levels when it comes to bells and whistles. You're paying for the SUPPORT of that part. If you get an Ultimate with that part (or package or system), then that part is supported. You paid for that support. If you add it later, even properly, with all the other appropriate parts (if needed), then those parts would still not be supported. The dealership would log the issue in for warranty work, and the manufacturer would reject it based on the vehicle's VIN. So, if it breaks, you fix it, and if it breaks something else, you fix it as well. If it all works, cool, it works.

Dealerships rarely make much off the purchase of a vehicle with regards to trim levels these days. That extra purchase price for a higher trim level goes partially towards hardware, in an AWD version for instance, and partially towards support of "technology packages" and the like. It's service, maintenance, and kickbacks from the factory, either through incentives or warranty work, that dealerships make their profit from. Manufactures don't want to support anything more than they have to, because the fewer warranty repairs the more profit. Conversely, the dealerships want just enough warranty and service work to make decent profits, but not so much to erode respect for the brand.

Anyway, blah blah blah. I never worked in a dealership, but I'm well acquainted with the industry, and that's why I'm running my mouth for far too long.

TL;DR: It will probably work, because drive modes are software-driven, but the dealership is under no obligation to fix it if it breaks, or it breaks something else, which it won't. It will either work or not. If not, it will probably be a well-handled fault somewhere, without any indication that anything is amiss... except your pretty button won't work, and you'll be pissed off that you scuffed such-and-such putting the darn thing in.

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
That's why the Tros is such a great device. All included in the connectors and a easy to mount electronic display and mode switcher. I usually only change modes when the weather goes from winter/summer. So it can easily be tucked away if you wanted to.

It has an ECO mode too that limits boost.

·
Registered
6 Hyundais and a couple of horses.
262 Posts
That's why the Tros is such a great device. All included in the connectors and a easy to mount electronic display and mode switcher. I usually only change modes when the weather goes from winter/summer. So it can easily be tucked away if you wanted to.

It has an ECO mode too that limits boost.
That just seems so cool, even for a Santa Fe with the 3 modes already. I'll have to look into destroying my vehicle by ragging it out with experimenting with this new gadget. I'll see if they make one that doesn't smoke the 2020. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts